GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fuqua vs Ross vs No Bschool

new topic post reply Update application status  

Fuqua vs Ross vs NYU Part Time vs No Bschool

• 39% [18]
  • 43% [20]
  • 4% [2]
  • 6% [3]
  • 6% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Fuqua vs Ross vs No Bschool  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 13:58
I'm fortunate enough to have been accepted at both Fuqua and Ross, but before I make the big decision I’m looking for some feedback from fellow gmat club members.

A little background on me, I’m an operations manager (finance industry) in NYC. Looking to make a career switch to marketing/brand management at a consumer goods company. GMAT (Q48/V39/AWA 6/IR 7), GPA 3.4 in quant major from top 20 liberal arts school.

I did extensive research on school culture and companies I wanted to work for. I learned that Kellogg, Fuqua, and Ross - Kelley to a lesser extent - are the marketing powerhouses. I did notice that Fuqua has dropped in the marketing rankings and Unilever recently dropped Fuqua from their list of core schools. Not sure if I should read much into that, but Unilever was one of my target companies. To me it sounds like the major consumer goods companies have a somewhat regional footprint when it comes to recruiting. If my goal is to end up in the mid-atlantic (PA/NJ), what do you think is my best option?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua vs Ross vs No Bschool  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2014, 12:14
cms031 wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to have been accepted at both Fuqua and Ross, but before I make the big decision I’m looking for some feedback from fellow gmat club members.

A little background on me, I’m an operations manager (finance industry) in NYC. Looking to make a career switch to marketing/brand management at a consumer goods company. GMAT (Q48/V39/AWA 6/IR 7), GPA 3.4 in quant major from top 20 liberal arts school.

I did extensive research on school culture and companies I wanted to work for. I learned that Kellogg, Fuqua, and Ross - Kelley to a lesser extent - are the marketing powerhouses. I did notice that Fuqua has dropped in the marketing rankings and Unilever recently dropped Fuqua from their list of core schools. Not sure if I should read much into that, but Unilever was one of my target companies. To me it sounds like the major consumer goods companies have a somewhat regional footprint when it comes to recruiting. If my goal is to end up in the mid-atlantic (PA/NJ), what do you think is my best option?

Thanks!

I will say, if you want to apply next year to Kellogg, you're going to have to get your GMAT's up a bit, since you have 3.4 GPA and non-front office experience (same experience and GPA as me haha). I'm feeling 50/50 about my chances at Kellogg, and was rejected from Columbia ED...it does seem difficult for applicants like us to crack the M7. I'm personally leaning towards Fuqua if I can't crack Kellogg or Booth.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 14:53
Thanks for the reply mgh. To be honest I'm kicking myself for not applying to kellogg this year. I never made it out to Evanston and I didn't want to apply without at least visiting. I also thought Fuqua or Ross would come through with some $$ to sweeten the deal, but no such luck. Are you looking to get into marketing post MBA?

Best of luck with the Kellogg/Booth decisions.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 15:33
cms031 wrote:
Thanks for the reply mgh. To be honest I'm kicking myself for not applying to kellogg this year. I never made it out to Evanston and I didn't want to apply without at least visiting. I also thought Fuqua or Ross would come through with some $$ to sweeten the deal, but no such luck. Are you looking to get into marketing post MBA?

Best of luck with the Kellogg/Booth decisions.

Ya, Duke really low balled me on scholarship too, I was a bit surprised. I'm trying to go the management consulting route.
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 06:06
If you turn down Fuqua and Ross this year, be sure you will get in Kellogg or Wharton next year. In general, top tier B-Schools will not accept you for the second time. At the very least, it will make the "why us?" question very difficult to answer.

There are plenty of opportunities out of Fuqua and Ross for mid-Atlantic CPG or marketing role. I personally, would not give up a spot at those two schools for a slight chance at Kellogg or Wharton.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 10:29
I do agree it would be risky, and I'd hate to postpone b school another year. Is there any material difference between Fuqua and Ross in terms of east coast recruiting and/or academics? I like the MAP experience at Ross, but Fuqua offers a client consulting practicum which is essentially the same thing.

Director
Director
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 11:22
cms031 wrote:
I do agree it would be risky, and I'd hate to postpone b school another year. Is there any material difference between Fuqua and Ross in terms of east coast recruiting and/or academics? I like the MAP experience at Ross, but Fuqua offers a client consulting practicum which is essentially the same thing.

Historically Duke has been ranked ahead of Ross, although Ross had a major jump this year in USNews. Other rankings still put Duke ahead:
http://poetsandquants.com/2013/12/02/po ... of-2013/3/

Realistically, they are both the same tier (Peers and recruiters rank Duke a bit better than Ross in the recent USNews, but Ross did a bit better with placement and average gmat/gpa). Just go to whichever you personally like more. Your chance of getting your dream job is going to be functionally the same at either. You can check the employment reports, I'm sure some companies are stronger at one or the other, and that they lean differently a bit in geographical locations students go to, but that's more self-selection than anything (Although Duke does a bit better with MBB). I chose to apply to Duke over Ross for weather reasons, and the fact Duke is in general ranked a hair better.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 07:58
Rankings wise they do appear to be neck and neck. I think I'm leaning towards Duke b/c of the weather as well.

Any Ross folks care to shed some light on the strength of the marketing program?

Thanks.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 08:35
cms031 wrote:
Rankings wise they do appear to be neck and neck. I think I'm leaning towards Duke b/c of the weather as well.

Any Ross folks care to shed some light on the strength of the marketing program?

Thanks.

Look at the Poets and Quants article of Kellogg vs. Ross...Ross has great placement into brand management...suprisingly Ross does pretty well. Article is a little dated though.

http://poetsandquants.com/2010/07/24/mi ... s-kellogg/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fuqua vs Ross vs No Bschool   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2014, 08:35

Fuqua vs Ross vs No Bschool

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate