It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 10:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 98
SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 19:48
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:02) correct 50% (00:53) wrong based on 786 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Please help solve the following SC question.

7.Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.
a.ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.
b.ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of the copernicus.
c.our solar system was indeed a solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced copernicus'.
d.ours was indeed a solar, in which Earth and the other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.
e.Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of copernicus

thanks.
Note: pls. provide explanation as to why a particular choice has been picked by you and why others have been rejected.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 240
Re: SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 20:01
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aviator83 wrote:
Please help solve the following SC question.

7.Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.
a.ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.
b.ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of the copernicus.
c.our solar system was indeed a solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced copernicus'.
d.ours was indeed a solar, in which Earth and the other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.
e.Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of copernicus

thanks.
Note: pls. provide explanation as to why a particular choice has been picked by you and why others have been rejected.


Will go with E. ....that..............................that of ...|| clearly qualifies galileo's theory about earth and other planets.

A. and B. Those of the copernicus...out
C. Galileo's thoery did not reinforce copernicus, but rather his thoery. C is out
D. Reinforced Those of copernicus, we are talking about one thoery and not multiple...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 753
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Re: SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2008, 07:20
aviator83 wrote:
OA is (B).
But, Why is (E) wrong?? also, these are generally accepted theories then why use past tense for them ?


I eliminated A because of "those of" since we are comparing a theory with another theory.
C and D are primarily eliminated because of the word "solar" not making any sense without "system"

For me this was between B and E. E looks gramatically correct, BUT it changes the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence says that the theory was that "our [system of planets] was a solar system" and the words "solar system" are modified by "in which..." that gives more information about what a solar system actually is.

E changes the meaning of the "theory" discussed in this sentence.

So i chose B
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3956
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 00:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
B says that ours “was” a solar system. Does that mean that our is not a solar system now? Remember please they are still live and relevant theories.Are we not supposed to use simple present for eternal and universal facts?

When there is a blatant grammatical error, I am afraid that will take precedence over other factors in the POE.

Let us appreciate that solar system is the specific name given to the Sun and its family. Any other star or its family is not called solar. Therefore, there is no question of either our solar planets orbiting some other stars or other planets belonging some other stellar system orbiting our Sun.

I would rather be happy to eliminate B for use of inappropriate tense and go with E. Then, I will not be surprised if Kaplan comes out with some unusual thesis to its defense.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 145
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2011, 03:14
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gsd85 wrote:
Galileo's theory that [highlight]ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus.[/highlight]
(A) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(B) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus
(C) our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced Copernicus'
(D) our system was indeed solar, in which Earth and other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(E) Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus



Answer: B (as far as I can see, this is the best possible answer. I do agree that 'ours was' does not seem right)
A - We are talking about Galileo's theory reinforcing Copernicus' theory. Theory is singular here. So, it should be 'that' and not 'those'.
C - nonsense.
D - nonsense.
E - alteration in meaning. In original, Galileo theorised about what sort of system ours is -> solar system (i.e. every planet revolves around the sun). However, in option E, Galileo theorised about the revolution of the planets.
_________________

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 27
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2011, 04:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Pretty sure B is correct.

Quote:
...that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus.


The use of simple past seems fine, because when Galileo came up with his theory, it was just that: a theory. It had not been proven to be a fact, yet.

This must be in present tense, because it's simply the definition of a solar system.

This must be in simple past, too, since the sentence describes a situation in the past. At that time, Galileo's theory reinforced that of Copernicus.

So either both the red and the blue part of the sentence are in a present tense or both are in a past tense, as is the case in answer choice B. Choice E would take care of the tenses, as well, but it integrates the term "solar system" into its own definition. Both "planets revolve around the sun" and "solar system" basically mean the same. The difference between B and E with regard to this is that B does refer back to the term "solar system" in order to explain it in a relative sentence, while E fails to establish that causal/explanatory connection between planets revolving around the sun and what that means for the type of our planetary system.
_________________

GMAT 720 Q47 V42 AWA 6.0, TOEFL 110.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2012, 23:26
For me it is B .
In case of answer choice E , there is a change of meaning .
Original meaning does not state that "Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system" but rather states that "Earth is a solar system" and the fact that earth and other solar systems rotate around the sun is only a trait of that particular solar system .
Whereas option E focuses on the fact the earth and other planets revolve around the sun instead of emphasizing on the fact that ours ,whatever it is , is a solar system .
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 199
Re: SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2012, 20:57
Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of the copernicus.

E. Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of copernicus

How is B right? Moreover "reinforced that of the copernicus" is wrong.

E is the only logical answer. I've come across some of these Kaplan questions before and they always leave you scratching your head.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Posts: 185
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2012, 11:23
IMO
I had went with answer 'E' but after explanation and careful consideration i think answer is 'B'
Galileo theoy is "ours was indeed a solar system" then it used modifiying phrases separated by comma then compared it with Copernicus theory

In 'E' although tenses is correct but still it change the theory which Galileo had put forward

GMAT Experts please resolve the ambiguity. :?
_________________

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Posts: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE: Business Development (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2014, 23:36
@Anuj, I feel the answer is B for 2 reasons:

1) the theory by Galileo was in the past and it reinforced the Copernicus theory which also was in the past. So the action needs past tense.

2) the planets and the Sun make the solar system and not that they revolve in the solar system.

Hence B.

But I would still want Chiranjeev/Payal to throw some light.

Thanks.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
_________________

You create your own destiny.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-7: Galileo's Theory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 23:44
@Anuj, I feel the answer is B for 2 reasons:

1) the theory by Galileo was in the past and it reinforced the Copernicus theory which also was in the past. So the action needs past tense.

2) the planets and the Sun make the solar system and not that they revolve in the solar system.

Hence B.

But I would still want Chiranjeev/Payal to throw some light.

Thanks.

I am still not convinced with the answer. Was the theory valid in past and does not hold true now ? Also, the second reason that sun and planets make the solar system is not clear to me.
_________________

Preparing for the next shot!!!

1 KUDOS received
Queens MBA Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 194
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 08:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus.

Meaning :
1. Galileo's Theory Reinforced Theory of Copernicus.
2. G's Theory is "Ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun"

Error Analysis :
1. "those of" - those a plural is used to refer back to Theory singular noun.

POE.
A) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
Incorrect - Explained Above

(B) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus
Correct - Corrected plural Error with replacement of "that"

(C) our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced Copernicus'
Galileo's theory reinforced Copernicus' - Correct (ellipses - theory silent )
our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun - illogical meaning and sentence structure sound incorrect


(D) our system was indeed solar, in which Earth and other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
1. Those - Plural refers to singular theory
2. our system was indeed solar - Indeed solar o_0 -- Indeed solar something fishy .. but can be true - lets not eliminate on this (Although it is nonsensical)
3. Earth and other planets revolved around the sun - Past tense revolved, so have they stop doing that - No - It is universal fact- must be presented with simple present.

(E) Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus
G Theory reinforces that of Copernicus - Correct
Theory that Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system - correct

the option E, is grammatically correct but introduces subtle change of meaning.
Original Says Theory is "Our is solar system, In which (Non-Essential) Earth and other planet revolve"
Option E says theory is "Earth and Other planet revolve in our solar system " ---- Did you notice the change in meaning.

Change in meaning should be avoided as far as possible.


P.S bumping .. it may help someone
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3956
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 08:15
I am skeptical about the OA ‘B’. Let’s look at it this way. What is the truth? Is ours still a solar system or was it so only in Galileo’s time? Notwithstanding other errors, IMO, A to D are wrong for this one single reason.

One problem about E is that if Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system, what do they revolve around in other systems? GOK

If one can make bold to ignore this insinuation about E, that may perhaps make the correct choice by compulsion rather than by conviction.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3080
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 14:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JLAR2107 wrote:
Hey guys quick question about the answer choice A. Why can't a single a single theory reinforce multiple theories? Couldn't Copernicus have made multiple complex theories around the basis of the sun being the center of the solar system? Is it because you cannot use the pronoun those with the original singular concrete noun of theory?


Absolutely right! When the pronouns "that"/ "those" are used to create copy / copies of noun/nouns, the pronoun must agree in number with the noun. The following example is from Manhattan GMAT:

Wrong: Her company is outperforming THOSE OF her competitors.
Right: Her company is outperforming THE COMPANIES OF her competitors.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3080
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 13:15
sachin0890 wrote:

Why option (E) is wrong? In my opinion both B and E are correct.
We can consider the sentence in the present tense too. And, structure of (E) express more clearly than that of (B).


There is a major issue with option B: when stating a universal truth in indirect speech, simple present must be used, even when the speech is made in the past.

I knew that the sky was blue... wrong.
I knew that the sky IS blue... right.

For this reason using past tense (ours was indeed a solar system) is definitely wrong. Option B cannot be the OA.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Status: Aiming 800 Q51 V51
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 1830
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 00:34
Hi,

There is a lot of confusion in this question. I think E is correct because the sentence is telling a fact, which still holds true. Hence, B cannot be the correct answer.

But then I could see E changes the tense of Reinforce. It should be reinforced.

Still, I prefer marking E as the correct answer, which is wrong as per the given OA.

Can you please help me get this confusion resolved?
_________________

Good Luck

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3080
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 02:25
Temurkhon wrote:
what is the antecedent for "ours"?


You do not need antecedents for first person and second person pronouns (e.g., I, you, my, our etc.) Antecedents are required only for 3rd person pronouns (he, she its, his, her its etc.). For example:

I am very close to being happy. ... in this sentence you do not need an antecedent for "I".
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Status: Aiming 800 Q51 V51
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 1830
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 02:41
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

There is a lot of confusion in this question. I think E is correct because the sentence is telling a fact, which still holds true. Hence, B cannot be the correct answer.

But then I could see E changes the tense of Reinforce. It should be reinforced.

Still, I prefer marking E as the correct answer, which is wrong as per the given OA.

Can you please help me get this confusion resolved?


I agree with you - I have already posted my concern about the OA:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/galileo-s-th ... l#p1732203


Yes, I read your response earlier as well. Thank you.

But my concern is specifically for option E. If you say E is the correct answer, I can go ahead and update the OA for this question.

Please confirm.
_________________

Good Luck

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 273
Premium Member
Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 17:25
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2017, 17:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Solar power, making it possible nishith17 2 21 Feb 2016, 07:36
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Pluto, along with the solar bodies pacifist85 3 08 May 2016, 13:51
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in chunjuwu 0 09 Jun 2017, 09:54
1 Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in yhc25 16 27 Dec 2015, 04:19
59 Experts publish their posts in the topic Galileo was convinced that natural phenomena, as Nihit 31 14 May 2017, 12:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.