Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [26]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [3]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Gene therapy offers a new treatment paradigm for curing human disease. [#permalink]
Kudos
Javierbc wrote:
I don´t understand why Choice D is incorrect in the question 1. Could someone explain please?

I think choice D is just an explanation of why choice E happened, but it is too far of a stretch to answer question 1. Besides, the author doesn't seem to mention choice D as an obstacle but just throwing it out as a fact that there's only one controlled study. When the author says "but the former may not appreciate"--that is a thought, not a fact, so that sentence contains author's attitude and it makes E a better match to answer what "the author anticipates" (what the author thinks). As for choice D, it is just a plain fact, not a thought or opinion.

That's how I interpret this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [3]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Gene therapy offers a new treatment paradigm for curing human disease. [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi, I am sorry if my understanding is incorrect, but as per the last passage "Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy, but the former may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainty that lie in the immediate future."; From the underlined portion what I understood is that general public may not be able to understand the disadvantages and the unpredictable cure pattern of gene therapy.
However, the correct choice of Q1 is option E which says "Hazards of which the general public is currently unaware". Isn't word Hazard a way too off track to express what is given in the passage. Also how do we infer that because of this reason gene therapy can't get its place in mainstream medicine??? According to me, this is an assumption which is not implicit via any word or phrase in the passage.
Can some expert throw light on this?
DavidTutorexamPAL GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
can someone please explain me how to approach Q3.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Explanation

3. The author?s attitude toward the gene therapy as a future cure for cancer, peripheral vascular disease, arthritis, Neurodegenerative disorders and other acquired diseases is

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

The statement of the question #3 suggests that only para 1 would be enough to answer the question but when we read on the answer choice we come to know that we must read complete passage to answer the question.

A. Indifference - It means that gene therapy can not cure the disease while the whole passage discussed how gene therapy can cure the disease. So this option is rather opposite.

B. Disapproval - Author never, at any point in passage, disprove that gene therapy cannot cure the disease rather he mentioned a few limitation of its wide level use.

C. Amusement - No such discussion happened in the passage which leads to any type of amusement.

D. Cautious optimism - First para produces topic and introduction second and third para produces considerations for using gene therapy to control the disease and 4th para give us some limitation that why we cannot use it on a wide scale and how its use is limited and so is the caution. This is Correct.

E. Censure - It is also working some how opposite than what is discussed in the passage. Out.

Answer: D

Hope it helps

pzgupta wrote:
can someone please explain me how to approach Q3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
hi
SajjadAhmad
please post the explanation of the question 1 . in my point of view hazard isn't an appropriate word , the author mentions that people are not confident due to the uncertainty . to me most appropriate is 1 d option although not even one option is perfect
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [3]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Remember one thing, on the GMAT we are not looking for perfection rather we are looking for the best among available options. I agree with you that the word "hazard" is a bit extreme with reference to the passage but we have to pick an option which is best among available and that is E, other 4 options are not even near to the answer.

The text in the passage

potential side effects of the gene therapy treatment in second paragraph

Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy, but the former may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future. in third paragraph leads to the E as best option though not perfect.

Hope it helps

Kanvi wrote:
hi
SajjadAhmad
please post the explanation of the question 1 . in my point of view hazard isn't an appropriate word , the author mentions that people are not confident due to the uncertainty . to me most appropriate is 1 d option although not even one option is perfect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
What is the level of this passage?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
1. In the passage, the author anticipates which of the following as a possible obstacle to the introduction of gene therapy to mainstream medicine?

A. Overly optimistic public statements given by scientists who have a vested interest - " The financial interests of biotechnology firms and, some have asserted, the career interests of some gene therapists have encouraged extravagant, or at least overly optimistic public statements about contemporary gene therapy. " - Assertion being the operative word (It has not been said to be true or corroborated by facts)- hence eliminated

B. The general public?s difficulty in grasping gene therapy?s vast potential. " Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy..." - (Paragraph 5) - hence eliminated

C. Unchecked financial interests of biotechnology firms. As explained in question 1 - assertion problem

D. The relatively small number of controlled studies of human gene therapy published as of this date. " Public controversy in the field of human gene therapy is driven by several factors. Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy, but the former may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future" - The author goes on to say in para 5 that - In spite of the proliferation of protocols, the actual number of patients treated remains small, and only one genuinely controlled study of human gene therapy has been published as of this date. - Putting it in other words - Because of the general public not being aware of the harms of gene therapy, the number of trials are less despite its proliferation - i.e. it is the effect and not the cause. - hence eliminated

E. Hazards of which the general public is currently unaware. " Public controversy in the field of human gene therapy is driven by several factors. Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy, but the former may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future" - Now this is the main cause

Hope it helps :please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can someone help with #4? I chose 4a because of "The financial interests of biotechnology firms and, some have asserted," etc. + fears of patients. It covers more point, than just problems.

4. The primary function of the fifth paragraph is to

A. Explain effects
B. Recommend actions
C. Identify problems
D. Evaluate solutions
E. Warn of consequences
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: IESE '25 (A)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
TetianaSlavova wrote:
Can someone help with #4? I chose 4a because of "The financial interests of biotechnology firms and, some have asserted," etc. + fears of patients. It covers more point, than just problems.

A. Explain effects
B. Recommend actions
C. Identify problems
D. Evaluate solutions
E. Warn of consequences

My understanding:
The fifth paragraph is basically trying to tell us that gene therapy shows a lot of potential but there are certain factors/ problems that are yet to be resolved. This is made clear by the following sentences.
- "Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy, but the former may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future." - a problem
- "In spite of the proliferation of protocols, the actual number of patients treated remains small, and only one genuinely controlled study of human gene therapy has been published as of this date." - a problem

It's not warning us of any consequences either. It is just making us aware of the problems that still exist. C is correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat KarishmaB mikemcgarry MartyTargetTestPrep
Could you please help provide in-depth explanations for all questions?
Especially the first question, I was hesitating between (D) and (E).
It would be super helpful with your contribution.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
2. All of the following are mentioned in the passage as elements that are required for a successful gene therapy strategy EXCEPT:

A. Identifying the relevant gene
B. Expressing the relevant gene
C. Determining the side effects of the relevant gene
D. Understanding of the pathogenesis of the targeted disorder
E. Gaining and a more in depth understanding of the target cells which are to receive gene therapy.

Note key points of passages 2 & 3:

What is required for successful gene therapy strategy? Identify genes, clone genes, expression of the genes...

Other important considerations are sufficient understanding of the pathogenesis of the targeted disorder, potential side effects of the gene therapy treatment, and a more in depth understanding of the target cells which are to receive gene therapy.

It talks about potential side effects of gene therapy, not of genes themselves.

Answer (C)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
3. The author's attitude toward the gene therapy as a future cure for cancer, peripheral vascular disease, arthritis, Neurodegenerative disorders and other acquired diseases is

A. Indifference
B. Disapproval
C. Amusement
D. Cautious optimism
E. Censure

The author's approach toward gene therapy (for genetic & acquired disorders) is optimistic. He says, "Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy."
But he cautions that we are not there yet and we don't understand the pitfalls.

So answer (D). The only one that makes sense.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

A. Explain effects
B. Recommend actions
C. Identify problems
D. Evaluate solutions
E. Warn of consequences

Paragraph 5:
Public controversy in the field of human gene therapy is driven by several factors. Ordinary people may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future. Biotech firms have given overly optimistic public statements. The actual number of patients treated is small, and only one genuinely controlled study of human gene therapy has been published.

The author gives the problems being faced in the field of gene therapy - people don't understand pitfalls, actual number of patients is small, only one genuinely controlled study yet.
Hence (C) is the best.

A. Explain effects
Effects of gene therapy not discussed

B. Recommend actions
No actions recommended

D. Evaluate solutions
Neither any solutions given nor evaluated

E. Warn of consequences
No consequences discussed. Only problems discussed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
GMATNinja AjiteshArun AndrewN egmat

In Q1, I can't find the part of the passage that refers to "mainstream adoption" of gene therapy

Secondly, Option D states that relatively small number of controlled studies of human gene therapy published as of this date.
. Without sufficient no of clinical trials, medicines and therapies do not get approval regardless of the public opinion.
How is Option E better than D?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
bhayanakmaut wrote:
GMATNinja AjiteshArun AndrewN egmat

In Q1, I can't find the part of the passage that refers to "mainstream adoption" of gene therapy

Secondly, Option D states that relatively small number of controlled studies of human gene therapy published as of this date.
. Without sufficient no of clinical trials, medicines and therapies do not get approval regardless of the public opinion.
How is Option E better than D?

Hello, bhayanakmaut. This may be a case in which your knowledge (of real-world processes) is getting in the way of wisdom (here, to treat everything in RC passages and questions as though the information exists in a vacuum). Still, I am not overly fond of the question myself, which does seem to force us to make a leap to justify the OA, particularly when mainstream medicine is nowhere mentioned in the passage. If put on the spot, I would define the term broadly as "medical practice that is widely available." KarishmaB and Sajjad1994 have offered better explanations than I could give.

My apology for the brief and none-too-helpful response. This inference seems a bit too farfetched for me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:
New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 316, Date : 07-Sep-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

Gene therapy offers a new treatment paradigm for curing human disease. Rather than altering the disease phenotype by using agents that interact with gene products, or are themselves gene products, gene therapy can theoretically modify specific genes resulting in disease cure following a single administration. Initially gene therapy was envisioned for the treatment of genetic disorders, but is currently being studied for use with a wide range of diseases, including cancer, peripheral vascular disease, arthritis, Neurodegenerative disorders and other acquired diseases.

Certain key elements are required for a successful gene therapy strategy. The most elementary of these is that the relevant gene be identified and cloned. Upon completion of the Human Genome Project, gene availability will be unlimited. Once identified and cloned, the next consideration must be expression of the gene. Questions pertaining to the efficiency of gene transfer and gene expression remain at the forefront of gene therapy research, with current debates revolving around the transfer of desired genes to appropriate cells, and then to obtaining sufficient levels of expression for disease treatment. With luck, future research on gene transfer and tissue-specific gene expression will resolve these issues for the majority of gene therapy protocols.

Other important considerations for a gene therapy strategy include a sufficient understanding of the pathogenesis of the targeted disorder, potential side effects of the gene therapy treatment, and a more in depth understanding of the target cells which are to receive gene therapy.

Gene transfer vector is the mechanism by which the gene is transferred into a cell. Currently there are at least 150 clinical gene therapy protocols worldwide. Since the approval process for these protocols is not as public outside the U.S. , it is difficult to ascertain the exact number of worldwide protocols. As of December 1995, 1024 patients had been treated with either a gene transfer or gene therapy protocol. Much controversy exists regarding how many of these patients have benefited from their gene therapy, and no one has yet been cured.

Public controversy in the field of human gene therapy is driven by several factors. Ordinary citizens as well as scientists easily understand the enormous potential of gene therapy, but the former may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future. The financial interests of biotechnology firms and, some have asserted, the career interests of some gene therapists have encouraged extravagant, or at least overly optimistic public statements about contemporary gene therapy. In spite of the proliferation of protocols, the actual number of patients treated remains small, and only one genuinely controlled study of human gene therapy has been published as of this date.

1. In the passage, the author anticipates which of the following as a possible obstacle to the introduction of gene therapy to mainstream medicine?

A. Overly optimistic public statements given by scientists who have a vested interest
B. The general public's difficulty in grasping gene therapy's vast potential.
C. Unchecked financial interests of biotechnology firms.
D. The relatively small number of controlled studies of human gene therapy published as of this date.
E. Hazards of which the general public is currently unaware.

2. All of the following are mentioned in the passage as elements that are required for a successful gene therapy strategy EXCEPT:

A. Identifying the relevant gene
B. Expressing the relevant gene
C. Determining the side effects of the relevant gene
D. Understanding of the pathogenesis of the targeted disorder
E. Gaining and a more in depth understanding of the target cells which are to receive gene therapy.

3. The author's attitude toward the gene therapy as a future cure for cancer, peripheral vascular disease, arthritis, Neurodegenerative disorders and other acquired diseases is

A. Indifference
B. Disapproval
C. Amusement
D. Cautious optimism
E. Censure

A. Explain effects
B. Recommend actions
C. Identify problems
D. Evaluate solutions
E. Warn of consequences

Main points of the passage:

Gene therapy is offering a new treatment paradigm - till now, "altering the disease phenotype by using agents that interact with gene products, or are themselves gene products" was used. New paradigm focusses on "modifying specific genes resulting in disease cure following a single administration".

What is required for successful gene therapy strategy? Identify genes, clone genes, expression of the genes...

Other important considerations are sufficient understanding of the pathogenesis of the targeted disorder, potential side effects of the gene therapy treatment, and a more in depth understanding of the target cells which are to receive gene therapy.

There are at least 150 clinical gene therapy protocols worldwide, 1024 patients had been treated with either a gene transfer or gene therapy protocol. Much controversy exists regarding how many of these patients have benefited from their gene therapy, and no one has yet been cured.

Public controversy in the field of human gene therapy is driven by several factors. Ordinary people may not appreciate all the pitfalls and uncertainly that lie in the immediate future. Biotech firms have given overly optimistic public statements. The actual number of patients treated is small, and only one genuinely controlled study of human gene therapy has been published.

A. Overly optimistic public statements given by scientists who have a vested interest
D. The relatively small number of controlled studies of human gene therapy published as of this date.

What is a possible obstacle to introduction of gene therapy into mainstream medicine (in public) in the future? What will cause problems when gene therapy is introduced to public? (note the use of the word 'anticipates')
The question asks for what obstacles/problems/issues will be faced when gene therapy is introduced to public.

The author tells us that we are in initial stages yet and that biotech firms have given overly optimistic statements. But this is not an obstacle to introducing gene therapy in mainstream medicine.

We are given that the general public does understand gene therapy's vast potential.

We only know that unchecked financial interests of biotechnology firms have led to overly optimistic statements. No obstacles given.

So we know that we are at the initial stages yet. But this is not an obstacle for when we are ready to introduce to general public. We need an obstacle we might face at that time.

Correct. The author tells us that there is much public controversy. People do not understand the pitfalls and hazards. So this could be an obstacle in introducing it to public. We cannot introduce them to something whose possible repercussions they don't fully understand.

Answer (E)

Hi KarishmaB

Is the obstacle discussed in option E the fact that the general public is unaware of the hazards or are the obstacles hazards themselves? I thought the former so I eliminated this option.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts