Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [5]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Genetics-based drugs, an emerging class of medications, are likely to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Quote:
Genetics-based drugs, an emerging class of medications, are likely to be tailored at least in part to individuals; as a result, drug companies will probably try and charge patients made-to-measure prices.

A) will probably try and charge
• the correct idiom is try to

B) have probably tried to charge
• the present perfect (have . . . tried) bridges past and present.
Present perfect refers to an action or event that began in the past and that continues into the present.
The genetics-based drugs have not yet even been made on a large scale, let alone priced by drug companies.

C) [WILL] probably try and charge
• the correct idiom is try to
• wrong verb tense

D) [WILL] probably try charging
• wrong verb tense

E) will probably try to charge

• • Native speakers, and those who listen to native speakers, take note:
there is no such thing as TRY AND.

→ This idiom is botched more often than "10 items or less [fewer!]" and is tested by GMAC.

→ The correct idiom is try TO
You can even use try ___ING -- but not try and.

• Split #1: Verb tense

The phrases emerging class of medications and are likely to be tailored signal that the sentence is referring to an event that has not yet occurred (pricing).

Consequently, the future tense (will try) should be used in order to convey the most logical meaning.

Options B (have tried), C (try), and D (try) incorrectly use present perfect, simple present, and simple present, respectively.

The correct tense is simple future: drug companies will try to charge special prices for individualized medications, prices that the drug companies do not now charge.
Eliminate B, C, and D

• Split #2: TRY TO is correct. TRY AND is wrong.

Most native speakers do not know that this rule is a rule.
Listen, for example, to news anchors.
Okay, wait, I amend: listen to news anchors on good channels such as CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera, and the like.
Only a few of those very well-spoken anchors avoid the use of try and.

GMAC does not accept try and when we mean try to.
Don't go overboard. though.
The rule applies when you are using "try" in the sense of "Try to do X [in order] to get Y." or "I will try to do X in order to achieve Y or because I promised to do X . . . "

You will not see this sentence on the GMAT, but it is fine because it joins two infinitives: With respect to my obligation to exonerate wrongly imprisoned people, I promise to try every avenue and to keep trying if I fail.

Eliminate option A.

By POE, option E is the correct answer.

COMMENTS

The future tense can be a little weird for non-native speakers.
Try not to worry too much.
For one thing, future tense is relatively rarely tested.
For another, you will quickly get a handle on when to use simple future if you read (novels, newspapers, fancy magazines—whatever is well-written that you enjoy.)

Finally, if the options contain different verb tenses and one tense is in the future, re-read the sentence and look for clues that the event in question has not yet occurred. The clues are often slightly subtle.

I like the future tense summary on this site, here.

These answers are good. Kudos.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Re: Genetics-based drugs, an emerging class of medications, are likely to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The official answer is here.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Genetics-based drugs, an emerging class of medications, are likely to [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts