It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 174

WE: Other (Retail Banking)
Re: Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2013, 01:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Marcab wrote:
Guys I would like to ask all of you that how can "sudden fluctuations" and "tilting" be parallel?
"tilting" is a simple gerund and "fluctuations" is an action noun, and according to MGMAT SC, simple gerunds and action nouns can't be parallel.
So the sentence goes like this:
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include [sudden fluctuations in( local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the earth's crust)], changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in/of the electrical properties of underground rocks.

Regarding the preposition, MGMAT says that there is no compulsion on the prepositions to be the same.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Verbal experts noburu, metallicafan, Tommy please help.

according to Manhattan SC:
simple gerund should be parallel to simple gerund ONLY
complex gerund can be parallel to action nouns

look at the answer choice D. in this example, we have following warning signs for a major earthquake: sudden fluctuation in local seismic activities, tilting of the Earth's crust, changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in the electrical properties of underground rocks. now examine words in bold - fluctuation is an action noun (from verb fluctuate), changes is an action noun (from verb change), variations is an action noun (from verb vary) and as for tilting of, it is a complex gerund phrase, since complex gerund phrases are "noun through and through", which means that if you look inside the phrase, you can not turn it into a working verb. for example, try to place some noun inside the phrase "tilting of the earth's crust", such as "earthquake is tilting of the earth's crust" - you will see that this sentence does not make sense, cause it can not be turned into working verb (because of having Of-preposition in the phrase).

to sum it up, three action nouns (fluctuation, changes, variation) and one complex gerund (tilting of) are made parallel. so correct answer choice is D.

hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 174

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 694 [1], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 694 [1], given: 80

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3705 [3], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*.
*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

goalsnr wrote:
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth's crust, changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

A. changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying
B. changing measurements of the strain across afault zone, and varying
C. changing the strain as measured across a faultzone, and variations of
D. changes in the measured strain across a faultzone, and variations in
E. changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among

D It is.

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include j, k, l, and m. These j, k, l, m are the items in a list of a warning signs. Hence needs to be parallel.

The first two items are in the form of Adjectival Phrases 1) sudden fluctuations..... 2)tilting ...... of the earth's crust.
So to take care of parallelism remaining two items also need to be in the form of Adjectival phrase.

A) INCORRECT :- changing and varying are verbs, which can not parallel to phrases

B) INCORRECT :- varying is verb, which can not parallel to phrase. Also Change is in the strain and not in the measurements.

C) INCORRECT :- changing is verb, which can not parallel to phrase.

D) CORRECT :- This choice makes the remaining two signs parallel to previous signs. changes...... variations.....

E) INCORRECT :- changes are in the strain and not in the measurements.

Hope That Helps!

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3705 [3], given: 2420

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2014, 09:33
No, I wouldn't go that far away Marcab. "Tilting", in this case, is a noun - a noun participle to be precise.

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1788 [0], given: 289

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 15:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust, changing the measured stain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

(A) changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying
(B) changing measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and varying
(C) changing the strain as measured across a fault zone, and variations of
(D) changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in
(E) changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among

Kudos [?]: 1788 [0], given: 289

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 16:44
I fell for parallelism on this. Ignored D and E right away. Shouldnt have done that. I clicked A and only after that I even read "D". Arrrrrrr

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 22:54
This is OG Verbal 2nd edition SC Q#77

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust, changing the measured stain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

The parallel list is:

1. sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity
2. tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust
3. changing the measured stain across a fault zone
4. varying the electrical properties of underground rocks

Changing and varying are in verb+ing form if we change it to changes… variations.
N.B titling is a Noun here.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 298

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 13:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 459 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 14:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(B) changing measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and varying
(C) changing the strain as measured across a fault zone, and variations of
(D) changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in
(E) changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among

A,B,C are out --> Only comlex Gerunds can be parallel to the action noun as tilting OF THE EARTH's.. (and it is a complex gerund because it is parallel to deromations--- tilting ...AND deformations)
(E) is out for 2 reasons: 1) Dont change the original sentence, unless it's meaning isn't nonsensical. changes in measurements is wrong - changes in strain. 2) Variations among means we that are talking about different properties, but we are talking about different outputs of the same properties for different Rocks
So, we are left with D.

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 459 [0], given: 200

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 08:27
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth's crust, changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

A. changing the measured strain across a fault zone and varying

B. changing measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and varying

C. changing the strain as measured across a fault zone, and variations of

D. changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in

E. changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 1961

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
it takes me 5 second to go to D and E but more than 3 minutes to think over D and E.
choose D finally

among means the changes between two properties
in means the changes in one properties and we have many property

very hard.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [1], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 185

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 02:52
thangvietnam wrote:
it takes me 5 second to go to D and E but more than 3 minutes to think over D and E.
choose D finally

very hard.

"variations in" is much better than "variations among". Thats why it was D (for me).

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 185

Booth Thread Master
Affiliations: Scrum Alliance

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 20:46
The original question needs to be edited to stop the underline right before the "the electrical properties....".

Moderators please edit the original post containing the question. Thanks.

kudos please

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 07:52
thangvietnam wrote:
choose D finally

very hard.

same here, just 5 sec to eliminate ABC but stuck bw D and E
and choose E.

feel like i should get a check list for SC que and apply to all que.. is it possible?

correct if wrong, and a +1 wont hurt for like :wink:

Keep Faith in God Coz Every Question cannot be answered by Google

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1170 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 01:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yes, this is a tough one. The choice between D and E requires some really fine detail work. As several people have said, "among" is wrong because, in contrast to the meaning of A-D, that would be a comparison from one rock to another. It would be odd to expect the properties of all rocks to be the same in the first place. Additionally, changes in measurement shouldn't be a sign of an earthquake. We should be looking for changes in the thing we are measuring--strain. That makes this element parallel with the other signs--fluctuations in activity, tilting of the crust, etc.

As for developing a checklist, you don't want to do it! It certainly wouldn't have helped with D vs. E. If you were writing a computer program, sure, but you won't be able to apply that checklist efficiently on the test. Here's what I recommend:

1) Start by looking at the basic core of the sentence. Skip over modifiers to see the simple subject, verb, etc. Here, that would be "Geologists believe that the signs may include fluctuations, tilting and other deformations, changing, and varying." (Notice that I've left out adjectives and prepositional phrases.) The subject-verb relationships ("Geologists believe" and "signs may include") are fine, but the second half of the sentence has parallelism problems. That gets rid of A-C right away.

2) Once you've settled any issues with the core (sometimes there are none), you can start looking at meaning, modifiers, etc., but there's no time to go down a list. What's more helpful is to train yourself to spot these issues when they show up. See a sentence that starts with "Unlike"? Expect a comparison issue. See a modifier that moves around? Look at how it affects the meaning.

3) If you get stuck, guess and move on! There is nothing wrong with guessing between the final two on a question like this, even if you are aiming for 700+. Know when you are beat and save your time for problems you are able to resolve with confidence!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1170 [1], given: 29

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 309

Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:16
goalsnr wrote:

Please explain the parallelism in the sentence- use of "changing" in option C and "changes" in D.
How it is working as a verb in C and as a noun in D?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 309

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatlbs wrote:
goalsnr wrote:

Please explain the parallelism in the sentence- use of "changing" in option C and "changes" in D.
How it is working as a verb in C and as a noun in D?

Per the meaning of the sentence - The warning signs for a major earthquake include 4 things - a,b,c,& d. In this case - a,b,c,&d need to be parallel.

a - Sudden fluctuations in ..
b - tilting and other deformations of
c - (need to keep the consistency of writing) changes in the measured strain
d - variations in

This kind of string parallelism is correct in option D.

In addition, Changing is not a verb . (Any wording is not a verb unless preceded by is,am, are etc)
Changes in - noun preposition structure - parrallel with other similar structure in the string.

Hope this helps

Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Rohit Ghosh
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Jamboree Course Reviews | Try 2 of our classroom classes for free before you have to pay
Get GMAT Club Tests for free when you sign up for any Jamboree course. Request access

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 831 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 03:22
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-168405.html

Kudos [?]: 831 [0], given: 10

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 16:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 23:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mbafall2011 wrote:
326. Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust, changing the measured stain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

Here the fluctuations and changes are two independent signs and are equally important. Changes is not a sub warning sign. Hence it has to be changes.
(B) changing measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and varying -Not parallel
(C) changing the strain as measured across a fault zone, and variations of-this is verbose compared to A, also changing
(D) changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in -
(E) changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among - This is also verbose compared to D.

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include P,Q,R, and S. (the comma after R is called an oxford comma)
P=sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity
Q=tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust
R=changes in the measured stain across a fault zone
S=variation in the electrical properties of underground rocks

HENCE CORRECT ANSWER D

OPTION A,B,C are incorrect because they lack parallelism.

OPTION D and E are correctly treating Reason P,Q, R and S as various independent reasons
Although all these reason P,Q,R and S are laden with adverbial and adjective phrases

OPTION E is incorrect because of "variation among" which is a wrong idiom.

Correct Idions for vary/variation are
vary between (someone and someone else)
In choosing a bridge partner, Sam varied between Tom and Wally.

vary between (something and something else)
The daytime temperatures vary between 80 and 90 degrees. She varies between angry and happy.

vary from (something to something)
Indian Summer varies from balmy warm to burning hot.

vary with (something)
The rainfall in Sahara desert varies with the season.

vary up
The University varied up its subjects with a new kind of practical and modern courses.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

Re: Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2016, 23:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 54 posts ] 

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap