It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 09:18
The first 3 answer choices say "changing", an error rendering them all wrong. Answer choice D is correct because it fixes the issue. Checking answer choice E, one can see that it changes the meaning of the sentence. D is definitely the correct answer choice.

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring service in Vietnam, Southeast Asia, and worldwide.

$50/hour as of February 2017.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 04:51
noboru wrote:
326. Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust, changing the measured stain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

(A) changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying
(B) changing measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and varying
(C) changing the strain as measured across a fault zone, and variations of
(D) changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in
(E) changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among

- Ving should modify the preceding sentence's verb.
- here the use of "changing" does grammatically makes sense with the previous phrase.
=> a/b/c are out.
- Choice E, aside from being very wordy, does not convey the intended meaning. there should be changes in the strains and not in the measurements.
=> choice E is out.

Choice D is correct.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 612

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 19:48
Can someone explain why "variations of" is wrong in option C. I understand why "variations among" is wrong but I dont get why "variations of" would be wrong in C. thanks!

Split1) Parellelism. Noun-Gerund- noun form, so you need a noun form to keep parallelism. In A, B and C you see verbs. A, B, and C are out.
Split2) Logic. "Variations Among" is wrong because among means the following words will compare two distinct items.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 19

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 869 [0], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 03:24
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust, changing the measured stain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

(A) changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying - parallelism error
(B) changing measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and varying - parallelism error
(C) changing the strain as measured across a fault zone, and variations of - parallelism error
(D) changes in the measured strain across a fault zone, and variations in - Correct
(E) changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among - meaning error - The original sentence (Choice A) states – changes in measured strain – i.e. the actual strain has changed. This choice however states that measurements of strain changed – i.e. measurements change but we do not know if the actual strain changed or not.
Also usage of variations among does not make sense here

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 869 [0], given: 71

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 14:56
I have a big doubt, the Manhattan sc guide at pag 181 says complex gerund ''start'' with an article '' but in this case changing has no article before.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth’s crust, changing the measured stain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

Issue: Parallelism | Meaning

Analysis:
1. The sentence can be broken down as following and the main issue at play here is parallelism. We need to make sure that all the warnings sign should be parallel is form. In the non-underlined part of the sentence, the warning sign are mentioned as noun. Hence, the warning sign in the underlined part should also be noun.

Geologists believe

that

warning signs... include
                  │
                  ├─ fluctuations...,
                  │
                  ├─ tilting and other deformations...,
                  │
                  ├─ changes...
                  │ 
                  and
                  └─ variations...

- "changing" and "varying" used as a verb here; not parallel with nouns

- "changing" and "varying" used as a verb here; not parallel with nouns

- "changing" used as a verb here; not parallel with nouns

(E) changes in measurements of the strain across a fault zone, and variations among
- Illogical meaning; "Changes in measurement" is not the warning but rather "change in measured strain" is

Answer: (D)

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 22:26
the answer is D
parallelism is followed in D as fluctuations,changes,and variations
hence D

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 07:37
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth's crust, changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

Do "sudden fluctuations..." result in "changing.." and "varying.." -> honestly I don´t know. If it was so: A,B,C stand a chance. But then before the "and varying" there is a "," -> "and varying" -> this implies that this is part of a list of more than 2 items. Therefore A, B, C are out as "changing" and "varying" are not parallel to "fluctuations".. we need "changes" and "variations"
D is even better as "changes in" and "variations in" is parallel to "fluctuations in".

Did I do the analysis correctly? somehow I doubt

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 798

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 01:26
changes in "strain", not changes in "measurements of strains" => E is out

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 798

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8809 [2], given: 328

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sahil01 wrote:
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may include sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity, tilting and other deformations of the Earth's crust, changing the measured strain across a fault zone, and varying the electrical properties of underground rocks.

Do "sudden fluctuations..." result in "changing.." and "varying.." -> honestly I don´t know. If it was so: A,B,C stand a chance. But then before the "and varying" there is a "," -> "and varying" -> this implies that this is part of a list of more than 2 items. Therefore A, B, C are out as "changing" and "varying" are not parallel to "fluctuations".. we need "changes" and "variations"
D is even better as "changes in" and "variations in" is parallel to "fluctuations in".

Did I do the analysis correctly? somehow I doubt

Hello Sahil01,

I would be glad to provide my two cents on the analysis that you ave presented. :-)

The comma + verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding action. In this official question, the action that precedes comma + changing and varying is may include. This is for certain that just enumerating signs of something cannot lead to change or variation in anything. Hence, most definitely comma + changing and varying are NOT meant to be modifiers in this official sentence.

Hence, the sentence clearly tests parallelism. Personally, I do not rely on punctuation marks to accept or reject an answer choice.

Now that I am sure that the parallel list contains four elements that need to be parallel, I reject choice A, B, and C.

Between Choice D and E, D is definitely the correct one because the warning sign of a major earthquake will be change in the strain and not the change in the measurements of the strain.

Logic all the way and I get my correct answer.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8809 [2], given: 328

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 164

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 18:54
Quote:

The comma + verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding action. In this official question, the action that precedes comma + changing and varying is may include. This is for certain that just enumerating signs of something cannot lead to change or variation in anything. Hence, most definitely comma + changing and varying are NOT meant to be modifiers in this official sentence.
at

Hi egmat

I had a similar query for coma+verb-ing modifiers since I selected OA as A.
I request you to help me with below understanding based on your reply:

Why the first modifier tilting is then used correctly?

The warning signs for a major earthquake include 4 things - a,b,c,& d. In this case - a,b,c,&d need to be parallel.

a - Sudden fluctuations in ..
b - tilting and other deformations of
c - (need to keep the consistency of writing) changes in the measured strain
d - variations in

As per my views, noun phrase (sudden fluctuations in ..) in (a) seems parallel
with verb-ing modifier tilting + of..(b) and nouns phrases changes
in
(c) and variations in (d): which is correct from grammar point of view.

Also variations in rocks and variations among rocks too convey different meaning?

WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 164

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 20:18
D for logic and parallelism. as an engineer i think changes variations among electrical properties is wrong. fluctuations, changes and variations are parallel

Target gmat against the odds.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 49

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8809 [1], given: 328

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:

Hi egmat

I had a similar query for coma+verb-ing modifiers since I selected OA as A.
I request you to help me with below understanding based on your reply:

Why the first modifier tilting is then used correctly?

The warning signs for a major earthquake include 4 things - a,b,c,& d. In this case - a,b,c,&d need to be parallel.

a - Sudden fluctuations in ..
b - tilting and other deformations of
c - (need to keep the consistency of writing) changes in the measured strain
d - variations in

As per my views, noun phrase (sudden fluctuations in ..) in (a) seems parallel
with verb-ing modifier tilting + of..(b) and nouns phrases changes
in
(c) and variations in (d): which is correct from grammar point of view.

Also variations in rocks and variations among rocks too convey different meaning?

WR,
Arpit

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

Thank you for the query. :-)

The word tilting is NOT a modifier. It is the "ing" noun form and hence is parallel to other noun phrases in the list.

Please note that tilting is NOT a gerund - an "ing" noun that denotes action. It is so because in the original sentence, tilting is followed by the preposition of. One of the warning signs includes tilting of the Earth's crust and other deformations of the Earth's crust. Gerunds are never followed by a preposition.

So the noun form tilting is perfectly parallel to the other noun phrases in the list.

And yes, variations in and variations among are not same. They do denote different meanings. quite literally.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8809 [1], given: 328

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 23:15
Posting the OE - This sentence uses four phrases to describe the warning signs for an earthquake. These phrases should be parallel. The first sign is sudden fluctuations in local seismic activity; the second is tilting and other deformations of the Earth's crust. Tilting in this case is used as a noun, just as deformations and fluctuations are nouns. The first two signs are parallel. The third and fourth warning signs resemble tilting in the ing form, but they are not parallel because they are used as verbs rather than as nouns: changing . . . the strain; varying … the properties. To make the latter two signs parallel, nouns must replace verbs: changes in . . . variations in.

'D' is correct.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Re: Geologists believe that the warning signs for a major earthquake may i   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2017, 23:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 54 posts ]