GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Jul 2020, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 00:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:04) correct 48% (01:19) wrong based on 350 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful. Some people are just immune to these campaigns and will drink and drive no matter what.

Shelly: Complete eradication of drunk driving is not the expected outcome. The goal is reduction.

Shelly responds to George by:

(A) questioning the veracity of George’s evidence
(B) suggesting that George’s conclusion is based on incorrect assumptions
(C) partially agreeing with George’s main conclusion but disagreeing with his reasoning
(D) partially agreeing with George’s point of view but suggesting that he has overlooked a beneficial effect
(E) contradicting George’s reasoning and supplying an alternative reasoning

Director
P
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 01:04
dcummins wrote:
George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful. Some people are just immune to these campaigns and will drink and drive no matter what.

Shelly: Complete eradication of drunk driving is not the expected outcome. The goal is reduction.

(C) partially agreeing with George’s main conclusion but disagreeing with his reasoning
(D) partially agreeing with George’s point of view but suggesting that he has overlooked a beneficial effect

dcummins Feel that E is better than D.

What is successful- reduction or elimination- depends on the objective of the task. George relies on the wrong objective to say the campaign will be unsuccessful while Shelly corrects him, which is in line with option E

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
D
Reviews Badge
Re: George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 01:56
Arvind42 wrote:
dcummins wrote:

What is successful- reduction or elimination- depends on the objective of the task. George relies on the wrong objective to say the campaign will be unsuccessful while Shelly corrects him, which is in line with option E

There's no "contradiction" though. She just points out that George misinterpreted the evidence. George argues that there's no point to the advertising campaign if "some" people can still drink and drive - i.e. unless there is absolute eradication.
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 02:00
dcummins wrote:
Arvind42 wrote:
dcummins wrote:

There's no "contradiction" though. She just points out that George misinterpreted the evidence. George argues that there's no point to the advertising campaign if "some" people can still drink and drive - i.e. unless there is absolute eradication.

There is contraction though. In how they arrive at the reasoning to say whether it is successful. George says unsuccessful while Shelly says successful
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 02:01
Feel that E is better than D.

VP
VP
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 02:27
Arvind42 wrote:

Not sure why you repeated this post dude, but again She doesn't contradict George's reasoning. She does go against his conclusion, not his reasoning, and she also partially agrees with his conclusion, but largely points out that George perhaps misinterpreted the goal of the campaign.
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 02:36
dcummins wrote:
Arvind42 wrote:

Not sure why you repeated this post dude, but again She doesn't contradict George's reasoning. She does go against his conclusion, not his reasoning, and she also partially agrees with his conclusion, but largely points out that George perhaps misinterpreted the goal of the campaign.

Sorry the post got repeated. Was trying to get experts help on this. By mistake must have got repeated.

Manager
Manager
S
GRE 1: Q158 V143
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 09:57
dcummins wrote:
Arvind42 wrote:

Hi dcummins,

Could you please explain.how shelly has partially agreed to george comments.
Shelly just only said that complete eradication is not the main goal insted the goal is to reduce drink and drive.Shelly no where said that the program will not be partially successfull.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 17:20
I chose B.
George’s assumption is that campaign’s goal is eradication. So he said it will be not successful.
Shelly’s position is that the goal is not eradication, which means that George’s assumption is incorrect. B shall be answer.

On the other hand, D is weaker because Shelly never agree George’s idea. George claims this campaign is unsuccessful, whereas Shelly said it is successful.

Please correct me.

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IMD 2021 Intake
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 23:23
Why option C is wrong?

It says that Shelly partially agrees with George's main conclusion that Drink-n-drive cannot be completely eradicated, whereas disagrees with the reasoning given by George.

Please explain.

VP
VP
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 23:36
vishumangal wrote:
dcummins wrote:
Arvind42 wrote:

Hi dcummins,

Could you please explain.how shelly has partially agreed to george comments.
Shelly just only said that complete eradication is not the main goal insted the goal is to reduce drink and drive.Shelly no where said that the program will not be partially successfull.

The easiest thing to do is imagine two people actually talking and having a conversation.

Before Shelly to responds with 'the goal is reduction', she actually first acknowledges what George said - that complete eradication is impossible otherwise she would respond by refuting what George said in some way.
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 02:20
Ritwick91 wrote:
Why option C is wrong?

It says that Shelly partially agrees with George's main conclusion that Drink-n-drive cannot be completely eradicated, whereas disagrees with the reasoning given by George.

Please explain.

George's conclusion is that the campaign will not be successful as drink driving will continue....

Shelly states that the expected outcome for the success of the campaign is not complete eradication but reduction in the incidence of drunk driving...

Thus, Shelly doesn't accept the highlighted part of the conclusion arrived at by George , hence correct Answer can not be (C)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2019, 03:07
Could you explain how Shelly "partially" agrees with George?
Manager
G
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2020, 10:15
dcummins wrote:

Would anyone help me to get the explanation why B is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2020, 09:59
dcummins wrote:

i think it should be "B". the issue with "D" is shelly never agree what geroge said.
So the options in which it is saying that " partially agreeing" i think should not be correct.

Please correct me where i am wrong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2020, 19:07
Finally, a question I can understand. Thank you guys for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 06:48
Well i believe option B should be an answer becauss he assumes that goal is complete eradication which shally refutes so basically she is refuting his assumption

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 06:48
Well i believe option B should be an answer becauss he assumes that goal is complete eradication which shally refutes so basically she is refuting his assumption

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 03:17
Why is B incorrect? In D,Isn't george's point of view his main conclusion. Shelly doesn't agree with his conclusion even partially. she feels campaign will be successfull.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 03:32
saro wrote:
Why is B incorrect? In D,Isn't george's point of view his main conclusion. Shelly doesn't agree with his conclusion even partially. she feels campaign will be successfull.

shelly agrees that drunk driving can not be completely erected. George consider that campaign should completely eradicate drunk driving.
partially they will achieve object by reduction in drunk drive.

so shelly partially agrees and suggests they will achieve some reduction.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful   [#permalink] 31 May 2020, 03:32

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

George: The anti-drunk driving campaigns will not be successful

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics