GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Georgetown Law vs Yale SOM

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Yale   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V168
GPA: 3.37
WE: Research (Other)
Georgetown Law vs Yale SOM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 11:08
I am in an interesting position where I have two very different options. I know the advice generally is if you want to go into business go to business school and if you want to go into law go to law school. However, what I want to do seems achievable from both - to be a Program Officer at a big foundation focused on health (Gates, RWJ, Walton, etc). To me the trade-off seems to be the strength of the degree (JD > MBA) vs strength of the institutions (Yale > Georgetown), but would love to hear thoughts. Also, I know the value of degrees lessen significantly after the first job, but assuming that getting a job is the exact same with both degrees (JD and MBA), which specific degree is a stronger signal to hiring employees.

Lastly, just as a personal preference, I cant decide which one I would find more enjoyable. I feel like law school would be more intellectually stimulating, but business school would be a lot more fun and perhaps I would come out with a stronger sense of a community.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Georgetown Law vs Yale SOM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 11:56
On what planet is a JD>MBA?

It only takes one look at websites like TLS and ATL to see that a JD is usually only valuable if you get it from a T13 school (of which GULC is not one) AND you're committed to practicing law as an attorney.

Virtually any other unicorn aspirations can usually be achieved without a JD...

Posted from my mobile device
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 12:47
teleste, temper that enthusiasm. I know plenty of folks who value a JD over an MBA in the business world. Beyond this, each person, depending on their wants and desires, career wise, will decide which is more valuable. Lastly, anything in the T-25, much like B-school, is considered strong enough to get you to where you want to be. To make a blanket a statement that anything outside T-13 isn't worth it is ridiculous. Plus, Georgetown is right on the line. And FYI, we on the law side argue T-14 is the first breaking point, not T-13.

obiwanginobili, if you want to do a dual degree, that would probably be best for you. With your scores, maybe look at a school that offers a dual T-10 (Duke or UCLA, perhaps?).

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V168
GPA: 3.37
WE: Research (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 13:15
teleste wrote:
On what planet is a JD>MBA?

It only takes one look at websites like TLS and ATL to see that a JD is usually only valuable if you get it from a T13 school (of which GULC is not one) AND you're committed to practicing law as an attorney.

Virtually any other unicorn aspirations can usually be achieved without a JD...

It was my understanding that traditionally Georgetown was part of the Duke, Northwester, Cornell tier of law schools, but in recent years it has somewhat slipped due to lower Big Law + Article 3 clerkship numbers. However, I hear big law is still very achievable out of Georgetown, but you should be in the top half to feel safe (whereas with Cornell, Duke, and Northwestern you just not need to be in the bottom third). But, assuming that I do not want to do big law (though a Federal clerkship obv would be amazing and maybe I would feel the pull of BL after having spent a year just as I would likely feel the pull of consulting if I went to SOM), I think there is very little difference between the schools. In fact, among those schools, I am pretty sure Georgetown has the best reputation in public interest (much like Yale does in business schools among its tier).

As to the JD vs MBA, I have spent most of my time around nonprofits and government, and it just seems as if a JD is valued more highly in these circles.

But the again, Yale is Yale, and perhaps management skills (whatever they may be) may be more transferable than understanding contracts and torts.
Current Student
S
Schools: Stern '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 18:54
Any finances involved? I don't know much about loan forgiveness program because I never looked into it. Perhaps it's something you should consider since you plan to work in NFP unless you got scholarship from either.

As to JD vs MBA, I think you can argue both ways but I think JD would be more valuable for your case (I could totally be wrong). As someone who thought about JD vs MBA as well, I'm doing an MBA (more because of my low LSAT score and high GMAT score) but I think JD might me more relevant for NFP. MBA is more for the networking not really learning a "skill or trait" which I think is somewhat useless (at least not worth 150K+) to obtain for NFP.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 May 2019, 20:30
The Presidents daughter is at Georgetown! That goes to say that Georgetown’s law is highly regarded. Georgetown is also known for business law and you’ll be rubbing shoulders with future law makers.
You can’t go wrong with Georgetown law school. I know people from smaller and lesser regarded law schools who work at hedge funds in New York City and with barely 5-7 years experience taking more $500k.

Also, don’t fall for those rankings-I think of rankings to be a joke. Look at the network, jobs reports, alumni... and most banks and MBBs hire from Georgetown Law, so you’ll have banking and consulting options similar to MBA participants at other top schools

Originally posted by JohnJohnJ on 09 May 2019, 19:36.
Last edited by JohnJohnJ on 09 May 2019, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
S

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 04:36
nightblade354 wrote:
teleste, temper that enthusiasm.

No thanks. :) I won't apologize for enthusiastically questioning the given premise...esp on an MBA forum.

nightblade354 wrote:
I know plenty of folks who value a JD over an MBA in the business world.

Oh, good for them. That doesn't make a JD>MBA.

nightblade354 wrote:
FYI, we on the law side argue T-14 is the first breaking point, not T-13.

Not on TLS they don't.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p9842270
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=275066

In the 5 years between 2012-2016 (for example), GULC couldn't even get half of its class into Biglaw+FC positions. (I know there may be some self-selection there for Federal roles etc. but the numbers do present a telling picture.) UT, Vanderbilt, WUSTL have all posted better Biglaw+FC placement in recent times.
https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... rcentages/

@OP

I will give you my enthusiastic, emphatic advice as a 2016 MBA grad who applied to law school in 2010, was admitted, and now thanks my lucky stars EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I didn't go. Law School is good if you are sure you want to be an attorney. If your endgame is unicorn-type positions like you mentioned, in the the NGO or Business space, I don't think a law degree is the best path there. And I would ask people who do make that assertion to back it up with facts. There is no straight line to those jobs, so you shouldn't pay more (in tuition, time, and opportunity cost) for a degree that doesn't do a lot to guarantee you get there.

In your particular case, I think you should clearly go to Yale SOM instead of GULC. SOM is a fantastic program, has great placements into the most coveted MBA roles (MBB, etc.), has a parent brand, Yale, that is clearly better than Georgetown, and IM(not so)HO will be a much better experience taking two years of MBA courses divided by an internship than going through three years of Law School rigor for IM(not so)HO no likely better results.
S

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 04:43
JohnJohnJ wrote:
You can’t go wrong with Georgetown law school. I know people from smaller and lesser regarded law schools who work at hedge funds in New York City and with barely 5-7 years experience taking more $500k.

Also, don’t fall for those rankings-I think of rankings to be a joke. Look at the network, jobs reports, alumni... and most banks and MBBs hire from Georgetown Law, so you’ll have banking and consulting options similar to MBA participants at other top schools

Since this starts with a jab at the first family, I can't really tell if this is laden with sarcasm or not. I'll take the bait though...

The anecdotal example of a few people who hit home runs in their own careers is a very bad baseline to give career advice.

The numbers don't lie. Median students at Georgetown do not have the same job prospects as median students at T-13 law schools. And one shouldn't assume they'll just be in the top of their class...everyone else thinks the same thing and is working just as hard to achieve that.

@OP

My opinion is certainly biased and only one data point from a stranger on the internet, but if I were in your shoes I would flee from law school altogether. And especially given the choice you presented, I would pick SOM over GULC 100 times out of 100.

At any rate, good luck with the decision!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 04:57
I like the enthusiastic debate from teleste. Lol

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 05:05
In the end, we all have out own biases, opinions, and preferences. obiwanginobili, you do what you feel is right for you, regardless of certain opinions pushing in one direction or another

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Current Student
S
Schools: Stern '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 05:16
Good to see such a passion for MBA!

OP - teleste is right after all. You have to make the choice and I think there is no 100% clear winner here. Both path makes sense. I think it's really down to whether you want to focus on networking+enjoying classes without grade pressure (MBA) vs focus on learning to practice law+stressed with classes for grades (JD) and loan forgiveness programs (unless you're extremely rich)
GMAT Club Bot
Georgetown Law vs Yale SOM   [#permalink] 10 May 2019, 05:16

Georgetown Law vs Yale SOM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate