GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Georgetown with an improved GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Should I attend Georgetown this fall?

• 33% [1]
  • 66% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
Georgetown with an improved GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 10:38
Hi All,

I got accepted at Georgetown McDonough with a 660 GMAT and 3.22 GPA from a top 40 liberal arts college. I'm Pakistani, male, working in New York. I have 5 years of work experience in digital marketing at Yahoo and HSBC.

More recently, I took the GMAT again as INSEAD had asked me to get a 70/70 split in GMAT. I scored a 700 (Q44/V42). Although my Verbal is 96%, Quant is 57%. In order to make up to a certain extent, I even took the 'MBA Math course' online but INSEAD didn't accept me.

Now I'm faced with the dilemma of either attending Georgetown (no scholarship even after I submitted new GMAT) or wait back another year to apply to schools like Kellogg/Tuck and reapply to Fuqua/Ross. Not even sure if Ross/Fuqua are worth waiting back another year.

I would really appreciate your feedback on my situation! Thanks!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Georgetown with an improved GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 11:25
SJ18 wrote:
Hi All,

I got accepted at Georgetown McDonough with a 660 GMAT and 3.22 GPA from a top 40 liberal arts college. I'm Pakistani, male, working in New York. I have 5 years of work experience in digital marketing at Yahoo and HSBC.

More recently, I took the GMAT again as INSEAD had asked me to get a 70/70 split in GMAT. I scored a 700 (Q44/V42). Although my Verbal is 96%, Quant is 57%. In order to make up to a certain extent, I even took the 'MBA Math course' online but INSEAD didn't accept me.

Now I'm faced with the dilemma of either attending Georgetown (no scholarship even after I submitted new GMAT) or wait back another year to apply to schools like Kellogg/Tuck and reapply to Fuqua/Ross. Not even sure if Ross/Fuqua are worth waiting back another year.

While you mentioned a lot about your situation, you did not talk about your short and long tern goal. Also, you applied to INSEAD and then you mentioned American schools. where will you end up work and live?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 12:17
Mo2men wrote:
SJ18 wrote:
Hi All,

While you mentioned a lot about your situation, you did not talk about your short and long tern goal. Also, you applied to INSEAD and then you mentioned American schools. where will you end up work and live?

I would like to go into strategy consulting, post-MBA. However, I am also open to a career in digital product marketing at a tech company like Amazon/Google. I applied to INSEAD as they have an exchange with Wharton, and I really liked their program, but my preference would still be American schools.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 18:08
SJ18 wrote:

I would like to go into strategy consulting, post-MBA. However, I am also open to a career in digital product marketing at a tech company like Amazon/Google. I applied to INSEAD as they have an exchange with Wharton, and I really liked their program, but my preference would still be American schools.

I would like to highlight some points:

1- Mcdonough is not known as consulting powerhouse, except for Federal agencies and jobs are reserved for American nationality.

2- The consulting firms target candidate applicants who are score above 700 and have high math score. You need to prove you math capability , especially your background does not have any prior interventions with math like engineering or scientific field. It is now far from you to do transition if you can prove yourself.

3- Although Amazon recruits from different business schools, I do not know whether they go to Mcdonough. Also, I highly suspect that Google recruits from them. You can check the school employment report for more info.

If you still need consulting as first choice, you can study math and cover your weakness points and apply for big schools that can prepare and known as powerhouse for consulting.

good luck
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 17:06
It will be tough to reach your consulting goals if you are looking for more of a private sector experience. Many of the consulting gigs out of MSB will be for more public sector clients. So just keep that in mind if that is your goal. A second challenge if you wanted to apply to other programs is that your GMAT will still be below the average and with a low GPA it makes it even more difficult.

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 16:00
Wait a year, prep, and redo the GMAT.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 12:47
get the gmat to 720+ and reapply. ross/fuqua/darden are good options and can reach with kellogg/tuck
MBA Admissions Consultant
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 20:37
I agree with everything stated above. MBB only recruits 720 + from top 20 schools and 700 + from top 10 schools. What makes this difficult is the fact that most of the people from your particular ethnicity are fantastic at math. So when you're competing against those with your profile, well the expression that comes to mind is a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. It would be well worth it to reapply to Ross and Fuqua, they are both known for having consulting recruits.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com
I get applicants into elite MBA programs. What has made me successful is the combination of my coaching, marketing and editing skills. I'm a certified life coach - where the client's desire for a top MBA is the catalyst for their transformation.
Verified reviews posted on https://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.03

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 12:24
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
It will be tough to reach your consulting goals if you are looking for more of a private sector experience. Many of the consulting gigs out of MSB will be for more public sector clients. So just keep that in mind if that is your goal. A second challenge if you wanted to apply to other programs is that your GMAT will still be below the average and with a low GPA it makes it even more difficult.

Not really. About 70% of the consulting gigs in the past few classes have been private sector focused. Still a strong contingent of people that go into federal consulting, but nowhere near "many of the consulting gigs."
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Georgetown with an improved GMAT?   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2016, 12:24

Georgetown with an improved GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate