Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [12]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [6]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V18
WE:Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Geraflex, a new exercise program designed to strengthen muscle in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Shouldn't D be the right answer? Option E seems to weaken the argument, saying that the decreased mobility among the elderly is due to their fear of falling and possibly injuring themselves and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with muscle strength.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
Send PM
Re: Geraflex, a new exercise program designed to strengthen muscle in the [#permalink]
akashb106 wrote:
(A) From April to October, more Geraflex classes are offered than from November to March.---- This weakens the claim. Because if more classes are offered then the class size should be less than the winter months.

I am not sure how is this weakening the claim ? I think A is actually strengthening the claim. If classes increase then student strength (sizes per class) er class will decrease.
How is E better than this option ? E talks about mobility , and I think that is what we need to tally with the argument.

Can some one correct me please?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
AndyNeedsGMAT wrote:
akashb106 wrote:
(A) From April to October, more Geraflex classes are offered than from November to March.---- This weakens the claim. Because if more classes are offered then the class size should be less than the winter months.

I am not sure how is this weakening the claim ? I think A is actually strengthening the claim. If classes increase then student strength (sizes per class) er class will decrease.
How is E better than this option ? E talks about mobility , and I think that is what we need to tally with the argument.

Can some one correct me please?

Hi,
Conclusion : The variation in class size can probably be explained by a decrease in mobility among the elderly during the winter months.

Correct answer will support this conclusion .

(A) From April to October, more Geraflex classes are offered than from November to March.

Option A doesn't provide the reasoning about decrease in mobility of elders whereas option E provides that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Send PM
avohden wrote:
Geraflex, a new exercise program designed to strengthen muscle in the elderly,
is offered year-round, and a typical class contains between five and ten members,
most of whom already suffer from age-related muscle loss. Classes are generally
larger from April through October; from November through March, class sizes tend
to be smaller. The variation in class size can probably be explained by a decrease
in mobility among the elderly during the winter months.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

(A) From April to October, more Geraflex classes are offered than from November to March.

(B) Geraflex class sizes vary dramatically in size from year to year.

(C) Many elderly people travel to warmer climates during the winter months.

(D) An effective muscle strengthening program requires much more extensive
stretching in the colder winter months.

(E) During the winter months in many areas, roads and sidewalks are more dangerous,
so the elderly are less likely to leave their homes.

GH-12.04.12 - OE to follow

Why option D is wrong?
With answer option C the decrease in mobility sounds very generic and not related to the argument.
When you read the whole argument and reach the end of the argument and read the "decrease in mobility" then you think it should be something related to the muscle mobility of elders due to which they skip classes.
The answer option c which says not moving out of their homes looks quite out of the way.

Please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
nishantt7 wrote:
avohden wrote:
Geraflex, a new exercise program designed to strengthen muscle in the elderly,
is offered year-round, and a typical class contains between five and ten members,
most of whom already suffer from age-related muscle loss. Classes are generally
larger from April through October; from November through March, class sizes tend
to be smaller. The variation in class size can probably be explained by a decrease
in mobility among the elderly during the winter months.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

(B) Geraflex class sizes vary dramatically in size from year to year.

(C) Many elderly people travel to warmer climates during the winter months.

(D) An effective muscle strengthening program requires much more extensive
stretching in the colder winter months.

(E) During the winter months in many areas, roads and sidewalks are more dangerous,
so the elderly are less likely to leave their homes.

GH-12.04.12 - OE to follow

Why option D is wrong?
With answer option C the decrease in mobility sounds very generic and not related to the argument.
When you read the whole argument and reach the end of the argument and read the "decrease in mobility" then you think it should be something related to the muscle mobility of elders due to which they skip classes.
The answer option c which says not moving out of their homes looks quite out of the way.

Please clarify.

I guess D weakens, it says that in winter the need of exercise increases for elderly ppl, however, we have to provide a reasoning that why elderly ppl cant exercise in winters
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can anyone please explain why option C is wrong ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
ArupRS wrote:

Option C is wrong
it doesnt help at all as we dont know either these classes are organized all over the country or not...nothing is mentioned regarding this
its out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sananoor wrote:
ArupRS wrote:

Option C is wrong
it doesnt help at all as we dont know either these classes are organized all over the country or not...nothing is mentioned regarding this
its out of scope

Sorry, I am not convinced. If the classes are organized in the whole country, then also the elders leave te country and go to warm climate area and hence they couldn't attend those classes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
I understand E is the correct answer. How do I eliminate option A and C?

Option A tells that more classes are offered in April to October than from November to March, which supports the conclusion by telling people don't leave home in winter.
I have assumed more classes means more people, is this assumption justified??

option C tells us that people move to warmer climates during the winter season, I guess this is providing another reason for smaller class size in winter.

Please clarify my doubt.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts