Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

get engaged before bschool?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Re: get engaged before bschool? [#permalink]
Be like me. Don't think about it, and hope the problem goes away :-) JK

But some people are right though. If your relationship can't handle a few hours a part for 2 years, then it probably can't handle the next 20 years. I think if you can make it over this big hump, then you're golden.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.
Send PM
rsp33 wrote:
Taking away the romantic considerations for a moment, people are cool with tossing an extra 10k on top of cost? Added strain if you're making payments while taking on debt. Or using money at 8.5% to pay off money at X%

Now this is where my head is at! 15K ring on top of other debt and minimal/no income. Yuck.

If she moves with me, she gets a ring (and she pays the bills while I'm in school.) She don't move, she gets NADA!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I had no trouble with the relationship angle in school. In fact, it was better than when I was working because I was actually home more often than before. There were periods when things got stressed to be sure - namely recruiting - or the week or two before finals - but otherwise, its been a real easy life.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I had no trouble with the relationship angle in school. In fact, it was better than when I was working because I was actually home more often than before. There were periods when things got stressed to be sure - namely recruiting - or the week or two before finals - but otherwise, its been a real easy life.

sure...for those living in the same city ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I think it would depend on a lot of things, may be talk to her on what she wants !!
I voted yes!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
dont know if youve made a decision yet...but if she is worth it, and your relation is worth it, what is two years of difficulty when compared to a lifetime of being together?

go for it if you see yourself with her regardless of school....if you have doubts, then dont...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
 Q49  V37
GPA: 3.7 from a top 5 US Engineering School
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique
Send PM
I am in a similar situation and with me matriculating at Duke & girlfriend at Charlotte (1 hr 50 mins drive), it was an easy decision for me. I'm getting engaged.

If you are sure that she is the one for you (irrespective of where you goto school) then do it. If you are not sure yet, then no matter where you goto school, don't do it now. Thats my 2 cents. Whether, when and where you goto school should not drive such the timing of such life decisions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
If you can't see yourself being with anyone else for the rest of your life, go for it. I would say finding your life partner is much much harder than finding a good job.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.06
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Send PM
I didn't get the benefit of a choice (to propose right before b-school) since I proposed to my fiancee before I started the application process; but I am very happy with my choice. She was very supportive and traveled with me to schools when she could. This was great because she noticed some things about schools that I didn't pick up. She also provided some good feedback for my essays, but occasionally I had to reject some of her ideas.

We're both excited to move to NYC after we marry next month. She understands it's going to be tough since I'm the breadwinner; yet, she's been very supportive about this too. I think the most important thing is that we really want to spend the rest of our lives together and start a family after b-school, so it doesn't matter where we are, if we're broke for 2 years, or if I'm going to be extremely busy (especially if I choose to do IB).

If I had to choose to propose to her now with the knowledge that I'm going to b-school, I would still do it. This is the most important question you have to ask yourself: would the two of you want to be together regardless of the circumstances?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
An event such as bschool or anything else for that matter shouldn't trigger a proposal. When you are ready you are ready. Plain and simple. If its before, during or after bschool then so be it. You will know when the time is right and thats when you should do it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I have heard it is a big test to make it through winter break your first year. if you can make it through still together then pop the q!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)
Send PM
i think a lot of it can also depend on what your pre-MBA schedules were like. My wife and I started dating when I was starting off in banking and living in a different state. She got used to going up to a few weeks without seeing me or having to deal with me when I was stressed out. I also got used to doing little things to make sure that the relationship wasnt completely one sided (objectively evaluating her side before running my mouth, trekking out to jersey even if i was tired so that she wasnt always the one traveling, putting important dates into my calendar and pulling all nighters to ensure that work wouldnt interfere, etc). Over the years, my schedule has remained pretty sh*tty -there would be several week long stretches where I would leave before she woke up and would come back after she went to sleep. Her schedule has gotten worse as she has taken on more responsibility at work and we rarely overlap...days where Im home @ 6, she'll come home past 10. We got used to not setting unreasonable expectations for each other and maximizing our time together on the weekends. Im going to Yale, so I'm not expecting the 1.5 hr commute to really strain our relationship at all.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2