Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [3]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read that in Montauk's book. I think it might depend on your relationship with the person. I think that my recommenders might think it's a little excessive, or too formal. I mean I'm sure they'd be psyched if I gave them a bottle of wine, but I've thanked them a bunch already (I see them at work every day) and I got them both bottles of port for Xmas so I think I might just get them a card or something when I'm admitted somewhere.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yea... I was thinking of getting the gift if I get admitted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i gave a gift to my recommenders before any decisions were made. i think its just the right thing to do since they are taking time out of their schedule to write a letter.

for one of my recommenders i got some godiva chocolate and for another recommender i got him some frame sliders (if you know motos then you know what im talking about) since its more personal...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My cousin gifted his recommenders some memorabilia (TShirts, mugs, posters etc) from the school he got in. (only after he was admitted).
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
My cousin gifted his recommenders some memorabilia (TShirts, mugs, posters etc) from the school he got in. (only after he was admitted).

Did the recommenders go to the same school? I don't think its right to give them stuff from some school they didn't go to.

On a side note, I was thinking of getting this one guy a gift basket with chocolates, coffee, and other goodies. It cost ~$20.

Is this too cheap of a gift?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

Did the recommenders go to the same school? I don't think its right to give them stuff from some school they didn't go to.

On a side note, I was thinking of getting this one guy a gift basket with chocolates, coffee, and other goodies. It cost ~$20.

If you are US based, and he's your manager, that seems low to me. (That is if you don't work for some indian firm and make $2,000 a year). I plan on spending about $70 on each of my recommenders. It's not cheap, but I wouldnt have been admitted to the GSB without them.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree. I bought Bose headphones for my recommenders.

rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

If you are US based, and he's your manager, that seems low to me. (That is if you don't work for some indian firm and make $2,000 a year). I plan on spending about $70 on each of my recommenders. It's not cheap, but I wouldnt have been admitted to the GSB without them.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

So you're implying to get the gift if I get admitted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got all three of my recommenders a gift card for $100 to a restaurant, store, etc. I thought that was generous, but I appreciated the work they did.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I was thinking of getting each of my recommenders a painting of me sitting on top of a ladder with bags of money and I'm pointing down at them and laughing (they're at the bottom of the ladder). Also, in the painting I'll have a cigar in my mouth, and they'll just be looking up at me looking really sad.

That would only work if in the painting you are lighting the cigar with $100 bills.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Rhyme:

Your humor and avatar has rubbed me in such a way that I can now state:

You are personally my new forum hero.

I can construct a MSpaint trophy accordingly if you would like. Lol.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm going to wait to see if I get in and, blaming them for any eventual rejection, gauge the gift that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Einstein06 wrote:
I'm going to wait to see if I get in and, blaming them for any eventual rejection, gauge the gift that.

Funny, I was going to take the same approach. If I get dinged everywhere it'll be a small present. If I get in at Wharton I'll send them a case of wine.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
it seems a little odd to worry about how much the gift costs. get them something nice, something they'll like. Seriously, I don't buy $100 gifts for anyone (partner excluded - i'm his sugar-daddy and he's my hausfrau). Something thoughtful and specific is better than something general but flashy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
it seems a little odd to worry about how much the gift costs. get them something nice, something they'll like. Seriously, I don't buy $100 gifts for anyone (partner excluded - i'm his sugar-daddy and he's my hausfrau). Something thoughtful and specific is better than something general but flashy.

i'm just consumption smoothing ... if i get rejected from everywhere I am going to need that $100 to reapply. If i get in, i can prespend my first bonus :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: Gift for recommender [#permalink]
gifts of the school you got into? But I think the gift shuold be no matter what, no?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Pre-decision, I gave one a $25 Apple gift card and the other a $25 bottle of wine.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2