It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 15:40
i find it a little different on Gmat Prep:
The choice E is different and i picked it...
Because i think the structure that a scholar, a poet and a philosopher is acceptable but in E, there is no "a" in front of philosopher and the modifier "drawing" has is wrong.
Am i right?

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.
A. not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws
B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also a poet and a philosopher drawing
E. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 14:38
bigfernhead wrote:
Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.
A. not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws
B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also a poet and a philosopher drawing
E. unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing

OA is C

Meaning of the sentence- GA is a chef, an accomplished scholar, a poet and a philosopher. He has spent his life searching for the genuine and the delicious in florentine cooking. He is an accomplished scholar because he unearthed many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, and he is a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from.....

Few things to notice before we jump to solve the question-
1) Sentence is in present (perfect) tense (is and has forms of verbs are used)
2) It might be testing idiom- Not only but also
3) It might be testing our understanding on Verb-ing or gerund

Now lets look at the answer choices:-

A. not only unearthing (Verb after Not only) many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher (Noun after but also) who draws. Wrong usage of idiom
B. unearthing (Modifies Scholar) many of his recipes both from medieval and (From is missing- idiom should be both X and Y) Renaissance manuscripts, as well as (not required- List could be a scholar, a poet and a philosopher) a poet and a philosopher who draws ('Who draws' is not parallel to 'unearthing')
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws best choice among all
D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also ( Where is 'not only' ??) a poet and a philosopher drawing (modifies closest noun i.e philosopher. We need something that modifies both 'a poet' and 'a philosopher')
E. unearths (GA is an accomplished scholar unearths many - doesn't make sense even to my non native ears :) ) many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing (modifies closest noun i.e philosopher. We need something that modifies both 'a poet' and 'a philosopher')

Please don't hesitate to criticize my post. I am sure I will learn from 'Constructive criticism' :)

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 22:28
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
Is B also wrong because of the construction : noun + verbing

'scholar+unearthing'

Hi Sachin,

Choice B reads - unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws

This construction violates teh parallelism in the sentence. The senetnce says Giuseppe Alessi is a scholar and also a poet and philisopher. Then the sentence presents additonal information about Alessi as a scholar and a s a poet and philosopher. The entities in the parallel are "an accomplished scholar unearthing..." and "a poet and a philosopher who draws...". Verb-ing modifier phrase "unerathing..." is not grammatically parallel to relative pronoun clause "who draws...". This choice would be correct if "who draws..." were "drawing...".

Choice C corrects the parallelism by making both the entities relative pronoun clauses.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hallo Maam,

I have a question regarding Option C.

Option C says : who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws his inspiration from.....

My question is,can "as well as" separates two independent clause(I.C).Because the who starts I.Cs and makes parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 428

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 05:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED

E. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 428

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 05:31
C for me.

A and B wrong for ||ism .
D introduces a contrast which is not at all required and E is a run -on

left with C which is correct

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

Math Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 1049 [0], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 11:38
NandishSS wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.

(C) to me is perfect...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1049 [0], given: 325

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 202

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 11:17
A. not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws: Here not only following by -ing and but also by poet ,which is wrong
B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws:Here unearthing and draws are not parallel
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws:unearths ,draws parallel
D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also a poet and a philosopher drawing:unearths and drawing are not parallel
E. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing:unearths and drawing are not parallel

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 202

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 73

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 17:21
If you skip all the crap after Alessi, it becomes apparent that you need scholar who. With the remaining choices, D is introducing contrast where it isn't intended. C is parallel a scholar a poet, and also captures the intended meaning.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 73

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 09:36
newconcept123 wrote:
i find it a little different on Gmat Prep:
The choice E is different and i picked it...
Because i think the structure that a scholar, a poet and a philosopher is acceptable but in E, there is no "a" in front of philosopher and the modifier "drawing" has is wrong.
Am i right?

There are 2 things wrong in this version of (E).

1. Renaissance manuscripts, a poet -> We need a Conjunction here because we are adding more trait to those already mentioned. Without it, this is a comma splice.

2. an accomplished scholar who unearths is not parallel to a poet and philosopher drawing -> We need a subject in the second part in addition to changing drawing to draws.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 109

GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 14:33
I definitely like C. It maintains parallelism

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 109

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 19:35
bigfernhead wrote:
E. unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing

Read the given sentence this way (considering only the highlighted part) :

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking,is an accomplished scholar not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.

It is clearly observed that "who" is needed to continue the sentence correctly.
Hence choice (A),(B) & (E) are out

Between choice (C) & (D) , choice (D) can be eliminated as it incorrectly introduces a "but also" construction.
Answer choice (C) follows the correct parallelism(unearths --- draws) and correct usage of "as well as".

Ans : C

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 12:24
Dear experts,

I want to understand the choice E.

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar
who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.

cutting the modifiers

Giuseppe Alessi is an accomplished scholar, a poet and philosopher. Is anything wrong with this sentence? I agree on modifiers part but is the core structure correct here?

He is X, Y and Z.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 06:30
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 06:40
C is the right answer; the tense of the sentence is corrected (present continuous is wrong in the underlined sentence), removes 'but' which is the wrong conjunction; Most importantly it corrects the meaning of the underlined portion

Sent from my GT-I9060I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 497

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 00:30
Imo C
This took a lot of time the original sentence is awkward and use idiom not only X but also y incorrectly.
B also had idiom error
D does not have not only of the idiom not only X but also Y.
There is no hope for E as well

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 497

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 21:14
guess there is one more justification for C.

Noun + Who Clause – Describes habitual or permanent action

Noun +Verbing – Describes action happening during timeframe of the sentence, but doesn’t imply it’s habitual
As Giuseppe Aless “whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking”, must have permanence rather than a momentary characteristic of being accomplished writer, and a poet and philosopher.
So, Noun + Who clause suits better.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 855

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7587 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 12:51
Top Contributor
A quick fix

Only C on parallelism

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7587 [0], given: 360

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 12:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ]