It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:49) correct 33% (00:56) wrong based on 346 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Given that \(N = a^3b^4c^5\) where a, b and c are distinct prime numbers, what is the smallest number with which N should be multiplied such that it becomes a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power?

A. \(a^3b^4c^5\)
B. \(a^5b^4c^3\)
C. \(a^2b^3c^5\)
D. \(a^7b^6c^5\)
E. \(a^{27}b^{26}c^{25}\)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
While this problem on the surface is an exponent problem, it turns out to be even more of a divisibility, least-common-multiple problem. To make N a perfect square, powers of a, b and c must be even; to make N a perfect cube, the powers must be multiples of 3; to make N a perfect fifth power, they must be multiples of 5. This implies that each of the powers of a, b and c must be a multiple of 30 (because 30 is the LCM of 2, 3 and 5) and since we are looking for the smallest number, the powers should each be 30. Hence we need to multiply N by a^27b^26c^25 to make the powers of each of a, b and c equal to 30.

Hi, I want to know how I can recognise that question is asking LCM please.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by MacFauz on 28 Feb 2014, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goodyear2013 wrote:
Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime numbers, what is the smallest number with which N should be multiplied such that it becomes a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power?

A. a^3b^4c^5
B. a^5b^4c^3
C. a^2b^3c^5
D. a^7b^6c^5
E. a^27b^26c^25

[Reveal] Spoiler:
While this problem on the surface is an exponent problem, it turns out to be even more of a divisibility, least-common-multiple problem. To make N a perfect square, powers of a, b and c must be even; to make N a perfect cube, the powers must be multiples of 3; to make N a perfect fifth power, they must be multiples of 5. This implies that each of the powers of a, b and c must be a multiple of 30 (because 30 is the LCM of 2, 3 and 5) and since we are looking for the smallest number, the powers should each be 30. Hence we need to multiply N by a^27b^26c^25 to make the powers of each of a, b and c equal to 30.

A perfect square, is an integer that can be written as the square of some integer. For example 16=4^2, is a perfect square. Notice that the powers of the primes of a perfect square are even.
A perfect cube, is an integer that can be written as the cube of some integer. For example 27=3^3, is a perfect cube. Notice that the powers of the primes of a perfect cube are multiples of 3.
A perfect fifth power, is an integer that can be written as the fifth power of some integer. For example 32=2^5, is a perfect fifth. Notice that the powers of the primes of a perfect fifth power are multiples of 5.

According to the above, a number to be a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power, must have its primes in power of 30 (the least common multiple of 2, 3, and 5), so it must be a perfect 30th power.

The least positive integer \(a^3b^4c^5\) should be multiplied by, in order the powers to be multiples of 30 is \(a^{27}b^{26}c^{25}\): \((a^3b^4c^5)(a^{27}b^{26}c^{25})=a^{30}b^{30}c^{30}=(abc)^{30}\).

Answer: E.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 20:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
oh wow...I spent a good amount of time on this one yesterday before finally getting a headache and hoping Bunuel or Karishma would chime in...I now realize I was attempting to solve a completely different problem :(

As it is formatted, it looks like the question (and relative format of the answer choices) is:
N = a^(3b)^(4c)^5

and not:
N = (a^3)(b^4)(c^5)

:(

many thanks Bunuel!

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
We require to find LCM of 2, 3 & 5 which is 30... as it should be perfect square AND cube AND Fifth

So, 30 should be the power of each expression a, b, & c

Answer = E (30-3) (30-4 (30-5)

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 06:03
I was intimidated by the exponential when I started reading this question. As it turns out, it is an LCM question.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 06:18
evdo wrote:
I was intimidated by the exponential when I started reading this question. As it turns out, it is an LCM question.

Even if you don not recognize that it is an LCM question, you can solve it in 30-45 seconds as shown below:

\(N = a^3b^4c^5\)

Now you need to find more powers of a,b,c such that the 5th root, 3rd root and the square root are all integers (this is what the question means by "such that it becomes a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power?" )

For this to happen, N needs to be multiplied by another number (= the correct option to the question asked).

Given that \(N = a^3b^4c^5\) ---> Start with the 5th power or root (as you will see, this is the most restrictive of the 3 required roots).

For a number to have an integer value of a "n"th root, it needs to be of the form : \(N = a^n\) ---> \(N^{1/n} = a\) (if you have any other power then you may not get an integer value when you take the 'n' th root.)

Applying the above logic to the question at hand,

\(N = a^3b^4c^5\) , we need to make powers of a,b,c multiple of 5 when these options are multiplied by N. Also \(x^a * x^b = x^{a+b}\)

Thus, Options A and B are out as they will not provided power of 'a' as a multiple of 5 when these options are multiplied by N. No need to check the other powers for these 2 options.

We have options C-E remaining. check now for 3rd root or cube power!! For this we need to make sure that the powers of a,b,c are multiples of 3 when these options are multiplied by N.

Options C and D are thus eliminated as they do not provide power of 'a' as a multiple of 3 when these options are multiplied by N.

E is thus the final answer.

Although, this text looks intimidating, it took me not more than 30 seconds to figure out the correct answer.
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 20:27
We need to turn N = a³b⁴c⁵ into a perfect square, cube and a fifth power.
Hence whatever are the powers of a, b and c, they should all the divisible by 2, 3, and 5
Or in other words, the powers should be the LCM of 2, 3 and 5 = 30 (Since we need the smallest number)

Hence the multiplication factor should be: a²⁷b²⁶c²⁵

Correct Option: E
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 10:22
i dont get this question at all:((
what like which concept is being used here? the question is confusing like what am i supposed to find and how?
how is this LCM? i dont get what this is

here is my understanding of the question:

N= a raise to the power 3, b raise to the power 4 and c raise to the power 5

A, B and C are all PRIME numbers. Then out of nowhere, whats the SMALLEST NUMBER with which N should be multiplied? I just dont get it.

so im doing something like N multiply by x (smallest number ) = a number that is perfect sq, perfect cube, perfect fifth power? like where the hell do i go from here?
and none of the options give that NUMBER that we need to find. How do i understand this its soo confusing?!!
Verbal Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 13:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goodyear2013 wrote:
Given that \(N = a^3b^4c^5\) where a, b and c are distinct prime numbers, what is the smallest number with which N should be multiplied such that it becomes a perfect square, a perfect cube as well as a perfect fifth power?

A. \(a^3b^4c^5\)
B. \(a^5b^4c^3\)
C. \(a^2b^3c^5\)
D. \(a^7b^6c^5\)
E. \(a^{27}b^{26}c^{25}\)

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Lets understand some fundamentals:

1. In order to make an integer a perfect square, we would need the power to be - Multiples of Two

2. In order to make an integer a perfect cube, we would need the power to be - Multiple of Three

5. In order to make an integer a perfect fifth power, we would need the power to be - Multiple of Five

Considering all of the above, the power should have the LCM of \(2 * 3 * 5 = 30\)

So we are looking for - \(N = a^{30}b^{30}c^{30}\)

We already have - \(N = a^3b^4c^5\)

We would N to be multiplied by - \(N = a^{30-3}b^{30-4}c^{30-5}\)

= \(a^{27}b^{26}c^{25}\)

Hence, Answer is E

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 12:39
Hi All,

This question is built around a few Number Properties involving exponents.

For a number to be a perfect square, all of the "exponent terms" must be EVEN.

for example….
25 is a perfect square because 25 = 5^2
16 is a perfect square because 16 = 4^2 = 2^4

For a number to be a perfect cube, all of the "exponent terms" must be A MULTIPLE OF 3.

8 is a perfect cube because 8 = 2^3
64 is a perfect cube because 64 = 4^3 = 2^6

For a number to be a perfect fifth power, all of the "exponent terms" must be A MULTIPLE OF 5.

32 is a perfect fifth power because 32 = 2^5
1024 is a perfect fifth power because 1024 = 4^5 = 2^10

Here, we need each exponent to become a multiple of 2, 3 and 5. The prompt refers to the SMALLEST number, so we need the Least Common Multiple of 2, 3 and 5 ……which is 30. The correct answer will multiply by the given prompt to equal 30.

Since we're starting with (A^3)(B^4)(C^5), we'll need to multiply with something that will end with (A^30)(B^30)(C^30).

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2018, 12:39

Given that N = a^3b^4c^5 where a, b and c are distinct prime

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap