Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Modifiersx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 996 [65]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [14]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31874 [9]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abrakadabra21 wrote:
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:3
Page: 247
Difficulty:

Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $ 2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California, and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction.

(A) which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California,

(B) which, like the heavy rains that throughout the state of California caused more than $2 billion in damages and led to flooding,

(C) like the heavy flooding that, because of rains throughout the state of California, caused more than $2 billion in damages,

(D) such as the heavy flooding that led to rains throughout the state of California causing more than $2 billion in damages,

(E) such as the heavy rains that led to flooding throughout the state of California, causing more than $2 billion in damages,

Is this OG question. the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction. Is usage of which right in this question.

The modifier touch rule has some exceptions. Some essential modifiers, especially prepositional modifiers, may come in between a modifier and the noun it refers to.

Here the relative clause modifier " which was also the cause ......" refers to "heat wave". Another essential prepositional modifier " in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States" has dropped in between the clause modifier and the noun it refers to. Such usage is acceptable if the meaning is not ambiguous.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
cuhmoon wrote:
What about parallelism with "and" ?

and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States

Parallelism is alright. Have you already come across the twice in, once out rule?

Both the structures below are correct:

"in the" / "United States" within the parallel structure (twice in): (in the Northeastern Unite States) AND (in the Midwestern United States)... correct.

"in the" / "United States" outside the parallel structure (once out): in the (Northeastern) AND (Midwestern) United States.... correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB
Hi Karishma,
Can you explain the sentence structure of A?

A) Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $ 2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California, and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction.

1)"which" refers to what? Can we say that which has no verb?
2)like the rains that caused - Is it correct? Is it Noun (rains) + Noun modifier (that are caused)?

After 'which', I am looking for the rest of the clause. It is missing.

Global warming is responsible for extreme weather changes, which cause a lot of damage to life and property. (for example)
which clause modifies 'extreme weather changes'.

To give examples, I cannot start with 'which'.
Normally we use 'such as' for examples but 'like' is gaining acceptability to give examples too so I wouldn't take a call based on that. If it were the only decision point in my sentence, then I would choose 'such as' to give examples.

'the rains that caused damage' - Here 'rains' is the noun and 'that caused damage...' is its essential modifier clause.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
cuhmoon wrote:
Aha.. Got this one.. Thanks!

But I was referring to parallelism with the previous sentences..

and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States... should be parallel to something in the previous sentence,

Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $ 2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California,

of is this a FANBOYS construction?

IC, AND, IC ?

sayantanc2k wrote:
cuhmoon wrote:

Parallelism is alright. Have you already come across the twice in, once out rule?

"in the" / "United States" within the parallel structure (twice in): (in the Northeastern Unite States) AND (in the Midwestern United States)... correct.

"in the" / "United States" outside the parallel structure (once out): in the (Northeastern) AND (Midwestern) United States.... correct.

The parallelism is between "extreme weather changes" and "the heat wave".
Global warming is said to be responsible for 2 things:
1. extreme weather changes
AND
2. the heat wave
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Brego7 wrote:

To the comma + verb-ing example.

In option E, "causing" is modifying the closest dependent clause subject "heavy rains" not the main subject "global warming". Am I correct in my understanding? Verb-ing + comma modifies closest clause subject

A participial phrase modifying the closest subject/doer is the most common case.

Quote:
Crazy how I thought I knew most rules, seems there are more rules!

Curious to know which new rule did you learn from this sentence?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31874 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Will2020 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
nycgirl212 wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $ 2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California, and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction.

(A) which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California,

(B) which, like the heavy rains that throughout the state of California caused more than $2 billion in damages and led to flooding,

(C) like the heavy flooding that, because of rains throughout the state of California, caused more than $2 billion in damages,

(D) such as the heavy flooding that led to rains throughout the state of California causing more than $2 billion in damages,

(E) such as the heavy rains that led to flooding throughout the state of California, causing more than $2 billion in damages,

1) Split is LIKE vs SUCH AS
we are not comparing extreme weather changes with heavy rains and heat wave, so LIKE is wrong usage..
heat wave and heavy rains are EXAMPLE of weather changes, so SUCH AS is correct
ONLY D and E are left

2) D changes the meaning ...
It is not heavy flooding that cause rain BUT heavy rain that causes heavy flooding..
Also usage of present participle 'causing' is not correct in D

ans E

chetan2u Why "present participle 'causing' is not correct in D" ?!

In D, we have causing without a comma in front, so it will modify the preceding noun ‘California’ but it does not make sense.
The modifier should be modifying the entire clause and so we require a COMMA in front of causing.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brego7

Not quite. When you see "comma + -ing," you're typically looking at an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier, so it doesn't modify any subject at all. Rather, "causing" is showing the result of the previous action. And that action is "led to flooding." In this case, since heavy rains did that action, we can say that the heavy rains caused the damage. However, we can't always reason that way. For instance, if I say "Kamala Harris was elected vice-president of the US, making her the first woman to hold the office," it's not quite right to say that VP Harris herself MADE herself the first woman (although she certainly worked for it). Rather, that result is simply the outcome of her election. The ", making" modifier is adverbial and does not apply to a noun.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
Hello my GMATCLUB Gurus,

I have a few questions:

1.) I realize that you should not rewrite GMAT answers to try to make them correct, but I believe doing so will help my understanding in this case. With this said, for Choice D, if it read "such as the RAINS that led to HEAVY FLOODING throughout the state of California causing more than $2 billion in damages," would this be logical given the order switch? Or, do you still need a ", causing" because the state of California itself cannot be causing the $2 billion in damages?
2.) Is the rewritten portion above IS okay, is Choice E still preferable because the overall sentence would be:
Statement, example 1, modifier of the example, and example 2, modifier of example 2.
Whereas Choice D would be: Statement, example 1/modifier without a comma, and example 2, modifier of example 2. In other words, do the modifiers being offset by commas in Choice E work to build parallelism?
3.) For the non-underlined portion of the sentence, "and the heat wave in the northeastern and midwestern United States, which was also" why is this usage of ",which" correct? The ",which" seems to be modifying the United States, since its position is very far away from "the heatwave"

Thank you SO much for bearing through this...

Lots of love,
Woohoo

1). The switch would certainly be better. The 'causing' modifier still seems a bit odd.

"Heavy rains that led to flooding causing damages" would be better as "Heavy rains that led to flooding that caused damages." Or, as in E, "Heavy rains that led to flooding, causing damages." Here the comma-ing structure means the 'causing' is modifying the action 'heavy rains that led to flooding.'

2). I think the answer to this question is 'It's nice but not necessary.' If two nouns are joined by a conjunction in parallel, and one is modified, it certainly is NICE for the second to have a similar type of modifier, but I don't believe it is strictly necessary.

3). Well, mostly my thought is "it's not underlined so don't worry about it." If a 'which' modifier *were* being tested, they would be very careful about how it was used.

But, in general, 'which' modifies the noun before--but language is imperfect. Since there's a long modifier for where the heat wave was, it feels like a lot of words, but it's still all one noun phrase. Really, there are only two options for the 'which' to modify--the 'U.S.' and the 'heat wave.' Since "in the Northeastern and Midwestern" is a long modifier, you can kind of condense its space as if it were one, single-word modifer:

"and the heat wave in the [modifier] United States, which was also the cause..."

I can't say, "And the heat wave, which was also the cause..., in the United States."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Anthony99 wrote:
Hey there - Here is my stab at explaining the modifier differences in D and E - please correct me if I am wrong.

In D, 'such as the heavy flooding that led to rains throughout the state of California causing more than $2 billion in damages,' -- the modifier 'causing' has no comma. A no comma -ing modifier is a noun modifier. Ask, 'is causing more than 2$B in damages' modifying California?' The answer is no.

The 'causing more than 2$B in damages' is modifying the entire phrase, within that phrase is an action 'heavy flooding that led to rains through the state of California'.

Since the action is what is being modified by 'causing' we need an adverbial -ing modifier - so we use a 'comma -ing mod'. ',Causing' is correct- as found in E.

I think you may stumble if GMAT throws you similar examples in which the same rule will be valid in multiple options. Sometimes an exception may come up or you need to find which rule, according to you , is not right . The key message is : Rules are tools but these rules are handy only when multiple options have the same logic and now only the rule can make or break the correct answer.

For this particular question, you are formulating some methodology which may not be valid in another case.
E.g. :
Causing more than $2 billion in damagers, heavy rains led to flooding .-- Comma (can refer to heavy rains or clause: heavy rains led)
heavy rains led to flooding causing more than $2 billion in damagers.-- No comma ( can refer to flooding)

You could be in such a situation where a comma can not decide your answer right or wrong. So what shall you do? or what should you have done to avoid this situation.

Remember: LOGIC is the KING in GMAT.

(D') such as the heavy flooding that led to rains throughout the state of California, causing more than $2 billion in damages,

heavy flooding led to RAINS?
heavy rains led to flooding?
which one you would choose? --> how heavy flooding can lead to Rains? so logically D is nonsense even it has comma or no comma before causing

I hope you got the point:)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB
Hi Karishma,
Can you explain the sentence structure of A?

A) Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $ 2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California, and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction.

1)"which" refers to what? Can we say that which has no verb?
2)like the rains that caused - Is it correct? Is it Noun (rains) + Noun modifier (that are caused)?

Hello Sneha2021,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, regarding the incorrect Option A, "which" refers to "extreme weather changes", and we can, indeed, say that this phrase has no active verb.

Further, the construction "the rains that caused" is a correct example of a "noun + noun modifier" construction, but the larger phrase is incorrect, as it incorrectly uses "like" to provide examples; please remember, "such as" is used to provide examples and "like" is used to compare nouns; "like" is incorrect here because there is no comparison being made in the sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATyodasimran wrote:
Hey experts,

KarishmaB GMATNinja AjiteshArun DmitryFarber mikemcgarry sayantanc2k

Is there any error in option C apart from like used to present example? Thanks in advance!

There is a meaning issue in (C).

What we mean to say is that heavy rains caused flooding which led to damage. Because of heavy rains, flood happened and because of floods, damage happened.

Now notice (C):

like the heavy flooding that, because of rains throughout the state of California, caused more than $2 billion in damages,

What this means is:
Because of rains throughout the state of California, heavy flooding caused more than $2 billion in damages.

Heavy flooding caused damage because of rains! This makes no sense.
Heavy flooding happened because of rains and heavy flooding caused damage.

Notice (E)

Heavy rains led to flooding. This caused damage. Makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
nycgirl212 wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

Is this OG question. the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction. Is usage of which right in this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Schools: Babson '20
GPA: 3.6
Send PM

chetan2u wrote:
nycgirl212 wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

1) Split is LIKE vs SUCH AS
we are not comparing extreme weather changes with heavy rains and heat wave, so LIKE is wrong usage..
heat wave and heavy rains are EXAMPLE of weather changes, so SUCH AS is correct
ONLY D and E are left

2) D changes the meaning ...
It is not heavy flooding that cause rain BUT heavy rain that causes heavy flooding..
Also usage of present participle 'causing' is not correct in D

ans E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Schools: Babson '20
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Aha.. Got this one.. Thanks!

But I was referring to parallelism with the previous sentences..

and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States... should be parallel to something in the previous sentence,

Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, which, like the heavy rains that caused more than $ 2 billion in damages and led to flooding throughout the state of California,

of is this a FANBOYS construction?

IC, AND, IC ?

sayantanc2k wrote:
cuhmoon wrote:

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
nycgirl212 wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

What this sentence is actually trying to convey, or express if you will, is that both a particular set of heavy rains and a particular heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States are examples of extreme weather changes that caused destruction. The term "such as" denotes an example " Graduate level exams such as the GMAT and LSAT are significantly more difficult than undergraduate level college entrance exams such as the SAT and ACT." Now, we can eliminate A, B and C. What is the difference between D and E? Answer choice D alters the original menaing of the sentence- the original sentence is written so as to convey that heavy rains caused a particular outcome.

Thus
"E"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
nycgirl212 wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

I hate to spam the thread with my thoughts but this is for my disbelievers friends, who blindly believe "which" clause, as a nonessential modifier, refers to exact preceding word. Here which refers to the subject of previous clause which is "the heat wave".

Further, this is the non-underlined part of the sentence and hence cant be debated!

Something to keep in mind when looking for "which" and finding its correct preceding antecedent.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo E
such as is correct here as we are giving example .
D is wrong for the meaning
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts