Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT 1st attempt 580 (Q46, V24) Too bad to be real [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BrainLab wrote:
Right now, I just don't even want to think about retaking... I'm just dead tired after almost 3 month of preparation and moreover, I don't think that my family and my friends would be delighted to forget about me the next month or two. But I won't give up and would appreciate any ideas, suggestions etc.
You've been on this forum for quite some time, so you already know that this is not something that is uncommon. The GMAT is far from perfect, but very large score differences (GMAT/GMATPrep) are just not "real". You should ask yourself whether your GMATPrep scores were valid (take into account test conditions and exposure to questions). If they were, it is almost certain that you can do well on the actual GMAT as well. I would also advise you to do what MK1480 said: work on your stamina. The GMAT is a standardized test. It clearly cannot provide a "new" experience to every one of the approximately 250,000 people who take the exam every year. So when you feel that the verbal was "very, very complex and difficult to digest" or that "the questions in the guides and GMATprep are not representative any more", you need to ask yourself whether you were under more pressure or were more tired than normal while taking the exam. If yes, you should feel a lot more confident about a retake.
Current Student
Send PM
I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions and advices. I also think that lack of stamina was my biggest problem on that day and it was what made my verbal score dive down from possible 35 to 24. Futhermore, I was indeed tired on that day as I had slept very badly (my 2 year son was ill, and I had to wake up 2-3 times per night) the whole week prior to my exam and have learned for 13-15 hours a day: burn out. I'm not a kind of person to blame all the other factors for my poor performance, that's why I'll try it one more time. I'll take a couple of days to calm down and will proceed with my preparation for the second attempt.

But what I said about the quant part has nothing to do with my condition on that day, I just didn't have a feeling that the structure and the distribution of questions match what I've done and heared from others before. I had may be 2 Inequalities, 3 geometry, 2-3 coordinate geometry (including some questions about the lines like the distance between a and b is less that....) and the rest --> Word problems. I don't have problems with this type of questions, but I just didn't expect to see so many of that kind on the test day --> I've just exhausted my verbal skills already in the quant part :). Additionally, these word problems were based more on logic and reasoning than on math skills (rate problems, percent problems etc. what one usually can see on that kind of questions).

Hi Rich, below you can find my response regarding your points 1-6:
When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
No, I've always skipped both of them (on the exam I had absolutely no problems with essay, and just answered IR section randomly, I was not interested to have a good score on this part and used it as a rest before the quant part.

2) Did you take them at home? --> Yes
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? --> No, I took them randomly during the day
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? --> I've skipped Essay and IR
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?
6) Did you take just the one GMAC CAT? --> I took only one GMAC CAT under real test conditions, and several time I made only quant or verbal part.

Thank you guys, I hope next time I'll do much better and my dream to do an MBA comes true !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
GMAT 1st attempt 580 (Q46, V24) Too bad to be real [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi BrainLab,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time). The lack of sleep and the possible burn-out were also likely factors in your performance.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a realistic fashion?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi BrainLab,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time). The lack of sleep and the possible burn-out were also likely factors in your performance.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a realistic fashion?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

Rich

Hi Rich, first of all, thank you for your time, it's not the first time you make valuable and detailed replies.
1. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a realistic fashion?"
2. You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT.
I think I need at least 5-6 CATs under real conditions wihtout skipping any part this time. I've not yet done GMATprep exams 3 and 4.
Question: are there some other comparable CATs one can buy ? I have 3 more MGMAT CATs and several KAPLAN CATs. Problem with MGMAT - Quant is to hard, and currently I don't see any need to invest to much time in basic. KAPLAN Quant is too easy, but verbal part is also harder than that of GMAT.

3. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials
Which material would you suggest at this stage ?

Kind regards,
Mike
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BrainLab,

The CATs that you currently have access to should be fine - you just have to make sure to use them correctly and make sure to 'match up' the details with what you'll face on Test Day (take the CAT away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.). It's possible that you could 'fix' all of these issues on your own. The big drop in score also hints that there might have been some other aspects to your studies that were not ideal.

1) How long did you study? You stated 'almost 3 months', but was that really close to 3 (or closer to 2)? Was it consistent? Were you studying the same general amount each week?
2) What materials did you use?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you can train to score at a higher level.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Mentioning that the OG quant questions were not representative of the real test hints to me that you're focusing more on the question type and hoping you see the same type of question on the exam rather than simply being able to answer the question on the exam and since they did not sufficiently resemble what you had previously seen, you had difficulties answering them.

In any case, I went through the same thing, I scored high on the verbal and low on the quant, really low, was really frustrated after hoping I'd be done with the GMAT, waited a week and studied for another 8 weeks and brought up my quant to a 47, which I was happy with, giving me a 710.

I think much of the frustration on here comes from people scoring below their CAT tests which seem to basically inflate people's expectations. I personally only did the 2 GMATprep tests in order to get an idea of the format.
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi BrainLab,

The CATs that you currently have access to should be fine - you just have to make sure to use them correctly and make sure to 'match up' the details with what you'll face on Test Day (take the CAT away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.). It's possible that you could 'fix' all of these issues on your own. The big drop in score also hints that there might have been some other aspects to your studies that were not ideal.

1) How long did you study? You stated 'almost 3 months', but was that really close to 3 (or closer to 2)? Was it consistent? Were you studying the same general amount each week?
2) What materials did you use?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you can train to score at a higher level.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I've studied 25+ hours/each week for 3 Month.
Materials used:
1. Official Guides (og 13, og 16, quant&verbal reviews)
2. Extract from GMATprep 60% of all questions (Accuracy: Verbal sections 80+, quant 85+)
3. MGMAT 8 guides
4. VERITAS DS Guide
5. And many other resources as e-gmat for SC, CR Bible, Kaplan etc. Futhermore I had an errorlog and result matrix.
I think I just need to speed up on verbal and build stamina using CATs.
6. I have analyzed each question - both wrong and correct answers.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear BrainLab,

Sometimes “life happens” and we are not able to get the desired results. You should not think about the last attempt and approach the next one with a positive mindset.

First of all, I would suggest you to attend our free GMAT Strategy Session this Saturday (30th Jan) at 7 AM Pacific Time. Click here to register: https://goo.gl/g43t0n.

This session will help you define you GMAT strategy and create your own study plan. In this session you will learn the following:
1) How does GMAT Scoring work, especially the facts and myths about GMAT scoring.
2) How to devise your GMAT strategy based on your personal profile.
3) Why mastering core skills is important to ace the GMAT.
4) What are the core skills that you need to master to ace the GMAT.

Few Questions

In order to guide you properly, I would need the answers to the following questions from you

1) How much did you score in Quant and Verbal in the GMAT Prep and other mocks? Also, what were your target scores in Quant and Verbal while you were preparing?
2) When you were studying Quant and Verbal, were you studying them in parallel? How were you evaluating yourself to see whether you had mastered a particular topic or not?
3) How do you approach SC, CR and RC questions? List the process (in detail) you follow to answer the questions?
4) In the mocks you attempted, did you come across few questions before somewhere (forums, etc.)? Remember one or two such questions can make a huge difference in your scores.
5) What was your time management strategy for the test? Did you stick to it on the actual GMAT?

I look forward to hearing back from you on the above.

Free Trial

By the way, have you checked out our Free Trial yet? We offer almost 20% of our course contents for free.

For your convenience, here are some direct links to the files. Do check them out to understand about the quality we offer.

1. Verb-ed and Verb-ing Modifiers: https://goo.gl/RGhk2G
2. Bold Face: https://goo.gl/Ig4Owz
3. LCM vs. GCD: https://goo.gl/CQDLHy
4. Absolute Inequalities: https://goo.gl/NoSihp

We have 100+ of such beautifully designed Audio Visual Files in our courses. Click here to register (https://e-gmat.com/registration/) and login to our Free Trial and access 20+ hours of free lessons.

Do let me know in case of any questions. I look forward to seeing you in the Strategy Session on Saturday.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BrainLab,

The materials that you used are primarily book-based; many Test Takers who take that type of study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. That might have also been a factor in your case. Based on everything that you’ve described over these posts, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Rich, Hi Rajat,

apologize for the delay in replying, I had to take a time-out from GMAT and forums. Thanks for your tips and advices, I'll take a look on the courses provided and contact you directly after reviewing each of them. My verbal score needs definitively a booster and I think I won't be able to make it on my own.

Regards,
Mike
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts