Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi Ed. Congrats on the 660, thanks for sharing your ESR, and good luck at cracking 700! You will be happy to hear that you could have done much better with some very slight improvements.

Your Quant score is solid, although there is of course still some room for improvement. The main problem I can see is in your Verbal score, where you have significant potential for improvement. As you can see from your ESR, you only got 7 questions wrong out of the 30 counted questions, which is a large percentage of questions correct (77%). Unfortunately, you weren't able to capitalize on this high percentage correct because you struggled a bit on the critical first quarter of questions (only 5 out of 8 correct), lowering your difficulty level somewhat for the rest of the test, which had an adverse impact on your overall score of V34 (71%). Check out this page for some examples of how you can manage to score in the 40s on Verbal.

1st quarter: 5/8 = 62% correct (after this, the GMAT started serving you easier questions)
2nd quarter: 7/7 = 100% correct (nice job, but the questions had lowered a bit in difficulty so this didn't help as much as you might think)
3rd quarter: 5/7 = 71% correct (still solid, but the questions are starting to get a bit harder again)
At this point, you would have had to "run the table" in order to salvage a high verbal score.
4th quarter: 6/8 = 75% (still good, but the 1st quarter of questions ultimately did you in)

The good news is that you have the most room for improvement in the Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning sub-sections, which are the easiest areas to improve. I recently took a private student with similar score splits from 680 to 770, for example, simply by focusing exclusively on SC and CR.

-Brian
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Ed_Palencia,

What specific application deadlines are you facing? I ask because it would help to know how much potential additional study time you have before you would need to retest? As it stands, you might be able to retest relatively quickly (instead of February) - but again, the more specific you can be with your dates, the easier it should be to plan everything out.

I've also sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions on your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700 [#permalink]
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi Ed. Congrats on the 660, thanks for sharing your ESR, and good luck at cracking 700! You will be happy to hear that you could have done much better with some very slight improvements.

Your Quant score is solid, although there is of course still some room for improvement. The main problem I can see is in your Verbal score, where you have significant potential for improvement. As you can see from your ESR, you only got 7 questions wrong out of the 30 counted questions, which is a large percentage of questions correct (77%). Unfortunately, you weren't able to capitalize on this high percentage correct because you struggled a bit on the critical first quarter of questions (only 5 out of 8 correct), lowering your difficulty level somewhat for the rest of the test, which had an adverse impact on your overall score of V34 (71%). Check out this page for some examples of how you can manage to score in the 40s on Verbal.

1st quarter: 5/8 = 62% correct (after this, the GMAT started serving you easier questions)
2nd quarter: 7/7 = 100% correct (nice job, but the questions had lowered a bit in difficulty so this didn't help as much as you might think)
3rd quarter: 5/7 = 71% correct (still solid, but the questions are starting to get a bit harder again)
At this point, you would have had to "run the table" in order to salvage a high verbal score.
4th quarter: 6/8 = 75% (still good, but the 1st quarter of questions ultimately did you in)

The good news is that you have the most room for improvement in the Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning sub-sections, which are the easiest areas to improve. I recently took a private student with similar score splits from 680 to 770, for example, simply by focusing exclusively on SC and CR.

-Brian

Hello Brian,

First of all I want to thank you for taking your time in answering me. I agree with your assessment, the ESR just confirms what my feelings were after the exam, that I rushed a lot at the beginning of the verbal section. One thing that concerns me according to your opinion, since I never really got difficult questions on the following quarters because of the earlier mistakes, could it be that my weighted percentile in RC is even lower if I had tougher questions and therefore failed more than I really did?

I will look at the link you send me tomorrow, I will consider adopting that strategy if I find it suitable for me hehehe
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ed_Palencia,

What specific application deadlines are you facing? I ask because it would help to know how much potential additional study time you have before you would need to retest? As it stands, you might be able to retest relatively quickly (instead of February) - but again, the more specific you can be with your dates, the easier it should be to plan everything out.

I've also sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions on your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich, sorry for my late answer, these last days have been crazy busy for me. I haven't really studied since I took the GMAT a week ago, I hope that my score hasn't been impacted too much by that.

Here are my specific deadlines:
INSEAD, R1 March 14
INSEAD, R2 May 2
Cambridge Judge R4 March 9
Cambridge Judge R5 May 4 (Last Round)

I will answer also to you PM now.

Thanks for your support and help Rich.
GMAT Club Bot