It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 730, 6 years work ex, 2 years Entrepreneurship

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Schools: Ivey '17 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.64
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
GMAT 730, 6 years work ex, 2 years Entrepreneurship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 02:38
Hello Sir/mam,
This is MANVEER SINGH SALUJA. I am 28, Male from India. I would like to know the competency of my profile. The details are give below:-

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
-Total 6 years of work experience( 2009 till present)
-2 years experience in INDIAN OIL CORP ( 2009 - 2011) as Project Engineer. Was responsible for project commissioning , procurement and training.
-Then joined family business into Infrastructure projects as (General manager- projects) 20%growth per annum since joining.
- Revived another company after joining in as a partner in 2013.

2) Your GMAT.
2nd attempt( May 2015) - Got 730 with Q50 V 38 IR 2/8. AWA not recieved yet
1st attempt( Nov 2014) - GMAT 670 Q47, V34 , IR7/8 AWA 5 .

3) College info:
Bachelor of Engineering ( Electrical ) Thapar University , India. GPA : 3.6 . Graduated in 2009. Ranked 3rd in batch.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
College:
- General Secretary of various college teams, Editor of magazine, college website designer and Conducted many sports events.

After college:
- certified Scuba Diver, health enthusiast
- member of Sikh community welfare association, done various philanthropic activities in my community
- Member of toastmasters club

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
- Certification in fundamentals of Project management , University of virginia, Darden
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship from MIT , online edx course.
-Certified automation Engineer

6) Your target programs.
INSEAD
IMD
ANY TOP 10 US COLLEGES
TOP 3 CANADIAN COLLEGES

7) When you plan to apply?
R1 2015

8) Your post-MBA goal.
General management , probably in a company focused on operations, infrastructure, real estate or oil and gas.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Re: GMAT 730, 6 years work ex, 2 years Entrepreneurship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 21:56
manveersaluja wrote:
Hello Sir/mam,
This is MANVEER SINGH SALUJA. I am 28, Male from India. I would like to know the competency of my profile. The details are give below:-

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
-Total 6 years of work experience( 2009 till present)
-2 years experience in INDIAN OIL CORP ( 2009 - 2011) as Project Engineer. Was responsible for project commissioning , procurement and training.
-Then joined family business into Infrastructure projects as (General manager- projects) 20%growth per annum since joining.
- Revived another company after joining in as a partner in 2013.

2) Your GMAT.
2nd attempt( May 2015) - Got 730 with Q50 V 38 IR 2/8. AWA not recieved yet
1st attempt( Nov 2014) - GMAT 670 Q47, V34 , IR7/8 AWA 5 .

3) College info:
Bachelor of Engineering ( Electrical ) Thapar University , India. GPA : 3.6 . Graduated in 2009. Ranked 3rd in batch.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
College:
- General Secretary of various college teams, Editor of magazine, college website designer and Conducted many sports events.

After college:
- certified Scuba Diver, health enthusiast
- member of Sikh community welfare association, done various philanthropic activities in my community
- Member of toastmasters club

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
- Certification in fundamentals of Project management , University of virginia, Darden
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship from MIT , online edx course.
-Certified automation Engineer

6) Your target programs.
INSEAD
IMD
ANY TOP 10 US COLLEGES
TOP 3 CANADIAN COLLEGES

7) When you plan to apply?
R1 2015

8) Your post-MBA goal.
General management , probably in a company focused on operations, infrastructure, real estate or oil and gas.

Hi Manveer,

Your profile is good for a lot of US/ European b-schools. Consider applying to HEC Paris and IMD among the European colleges, INSEAD may not be a fit considering they emphasize heavily on international exposure.

You are good to apply to the US program. My only concern would be that you look at some schools outside the top 10, where you would have a fairer chance of scoring admits.

Lastly you will need to get hold over your career goals, as they seem to be all over the place.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Intern
Intern

Schools: Ivey '17 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.64
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 03:12
Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, regarding my career choices- I worked for 2 years in INDIAN OIL to get an idea of how a large scale project is done. When the project was over, my job was really boring and I was doing monotonous jobs - no new learning opportunity. At the same time an opportunity of a Fire Safety Project at my native place arrived. I always wanted to do the role of an overall project manager rather than my limited role. So I left the job and grabbed this one. Plus the money was awesome. I could not have earned that much in IOCL in years. I enjoyed 2 years of Completing the project on my own- learning various technical as well managerial skills . In the mean time, i also saw a market opportunity which could be utilized to generate some extra profits. SO I revived a dead company saving much of the cost.

Now I feel that, my scope is limited to my local place. I want to do something on a bigger scale and handle larger projects. Whatever I have learned is by experience and online courses. An MBA will boost my skills. And in the future, I am definitely looking for larger opportunities and leadership roles .

I think, this is a pretty much defined career path and not haywire.
Waiting for your opinion.

Regards
Manveer Saluja

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 06:33
manveersaluja wrote:
Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, regarding my career choices- I worked for 2 years in INDIAN OIL to get an idea of how a large scale project is done. When the project was over, my job was really boring and I was doing monotonous jobs - no new learning opportunity. At the same time an opportunity of a Fire Safety Project at my native place arrived. I always wanted to do the role of an overall project manager rather than my limited role. So I left the job and grabbed this one. Plus the money was awesome. I could not have earned that much in IOCL in years. I enjoyed 2 years of Completing the project on my own- learning various technical as well managerial skills . In the mean time, i also saw a market opportunity which could be utilized to generate some extra profits. SO I revived a dead company saving much of the cost.

Now I feel that, my scope is limited to my local place. I want to do something on a bigger scale and handle larger projects. Whatever I have learned is by experience and online courses. An MBA will boost my skills. And in the future, I am definitely looking for larger opportunities and leadership roles .

I think, this is a pretty much defined career path and not haywire.
Waiting for your opinion.

Regards
Manveer Saluja

Hi Manveer,

I missed seeing your reply for a good 2 weeks :shock:

I see that you have had a good run with the fire safety project. I assume you were leading a team of people to "completing the project on your own".

So your strengths are:
1. a great GMAT score
2. good ranking at college
3. reviving two businesses - the family business and the other defunct business. There are some attributes you can talk about in your application, such as taking risks, spotting opportunities, being resourceful, having experience of leading people and a business.

Your challenge is going to be to explain what you want to do after MBA. You will need to strengthen those career goals. At your age and work experience, the adcoms are going to expect that clarity in your career goals.

Feel free to reach out to discuss with us.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Re: GMAT 730, 6 years work ex, 2 years Entrepreneurship   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2015, 06:33

GMAT 730, 6 years work ex, 2 years Entrepreneurship

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap