Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [2]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
I believe the transition phase for Moving GMAT online is going to be patchy. It will be a real comfort and help cutting down anxiety to some extent but I want to know how the biometrics is going to be set out...

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
Wow! Cyborgs coming to a living room near you :lol:

Finally.

it was the time of being in a living Blade Runner situation :tongue_opt1
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
mykrasovski wrote:
carcass can you please share the link to register for the webinars? I looked up ETS's Facebook page and website and could not find anything about webinars.

I put the link in my previous reply.

However, here it is https://event.on24.com/eventRegistratio ... e=register

Regards
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
This is an amazing development!

Taking the GMAT from home is a hacker's dream, I'm sure--but the change was bound to happen eventually, and the Coronavirus pandemic of course accelerated the process.

Here is what we know so far:

-Brian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I'm from Italy and I've received yesterday a mail where it is announced that also the GMAT will be done from home.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos
I wonder if this means the essay portion will be removed from the in-person GMAT for good.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
If the price is lower and no AWA section is conducted, will interim GMAT be valid only for less than 5 years (let say, 1 to 2 years)? Too bad.

I wonder why gmat@home is specifically called interim gmat, instead of just gmat. TheNightKing

Originally posted by freedom128 on 25 Mar 2020, 08:16.
Last edited by freedom128 on 25 Mar 2020, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
chondro48 wrote:
If the price is lower and no AWA section is conducted, will interim GMAT be valid only for less than 5 years (let say, 1-2 year)? Too bad.

Now that you have said this, It seems likely to me!

chondro48
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting idea/theory.... I think it is quite possible the test may have a diff validity. However I kind of doubt it. That would be an odd thing to change. But let’s see when the final details are announced.

As to the AWA, The main purpose for that section is for business schools to get a sample of your writing. It seems odd they have canceled it. My guess is they wanted to minimize the proctor time? Maybe they can have one proctor do three tests per day without AWA?

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
bb wrote:
Interesting idea/theory.... I think it is quite possible the test may have a diff validity. However I kind of doubt it. That would be an odd thing to change. But let’s see when the final details are announced.

It seems likely to me. Think of it this way even if 1% managed to cheat/take any undue advantage then it will be best to just nullify that score after a year. Let's say keep it valid for this year and next year's admission. That's it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

As to the AWA, The main purpose for that section is for business schools to get a sample of your writing. It seems odd they have canceled it. My guess is they wanted to minimize the proctor time? Maybe they can have one proctor do three tests per day without AWA?

I totally agree. I think ETS wanted to minimize the cost of proctoring. I will again give the example of LSAT (as I am familiar with this exam). LSAT last year went digital and removed its paper based tests. In doing so they omitted the essay section during the test and hence saved a lot of $$ in otherwise paying its classroom proctors an extra hour of wage or so. Instead students were given a 1 month or so (not sure of the exact time period) to go online whenever feasible and video record themselves through a link while writing the essay. These essays would then be graded separately. I think its smart of GMAT to remove this feature for now but my prediction is that they will adopt a somewhat similar strategy to LSAT and ask its students to write the Essays separately, without the proctors. Perhaps this is their way of justifying the reduction in exam fees for the home edition.

Any news as to when the details of the Home edition will be revealed? Any GMAC insiders on gmatclub? haha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Send PM
In LSAT, the essay is not graded. Law schools that receive sores will also get the writing sample. GMAT's essay, though not particularly important, is graded and requires higher level of security.

Any GMAC insiders on gmatclub should feel compelled to appeal this decision internally.

ari.banerjee wrote:
bb wrote:

I totally agree. I think ETS wanted to minimize the cost of proctoring. I will again give the example of LSAT (as I am familiar with this exam). LSAT last year went digital and removed its paper based tests. In doing so they omitted the essay section during the test and hence saved a lot of $$ in otherwise paying its classroom proctors an extra hour of wage or so. Instead students were given a 1 month or so (not sure of the exact time period) to go online whenever feasible and video record themselves through a link while writing the essay. These essays would then be graded separately. I think its smart of GMAT to remove this feature for now but my prediction is that they will adopt a somewhat similar strategy to LSAT and ask its students to write the Essays separately, without the proctors. Perhaps this is their way of justifying the reduction in exam fees for the home edition.

Any news as to when the details of the Home edition will be revealed? Any GMAC insiders on gmatclub? haha
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting about LSAT. They may be a bit ahead of the GMAC with their digital technology.

Anyone thinking of taking the GMAT ASAP?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
So here's a question

Let's say there are two applicants with identical profiles

Applicant 1 has a certain gmat score taken through the regular gmat and Applicant 2 has the same gmat score but taken in the home edition.

Could it be possible that adcoms prefer Applicant 1 over Applicant 2?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [3]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Interesting about LSAT. They may be a bit ahead of the GMAC with their digital technology.

Anyone thinking of taking the GMAT ASAP?

Well LSAT was pretty behind in the digital technology actually and their transition to windows tablets last year was a disaster. I am talking about 4-7 hrs of delay because proctors forgot to charge their tablets and so on. But I believe those issues have been fixed.

I still dont understand why some members have an issue with this? This is an interim thing as clearly mentioned and even if a couple of people cheat this should not effect the percentile curve. I mean if the recruiting process is truly holistic then GMAT is just a data point. I know guys in Toronto who've been rejected form Harvard and Wharton with a score of 780 because they lacked leadership experience or were just not the right fit. Not to mention if someone wants to cheat and take a risk investing 200K of their loan money into a program and not graduate then thats their choice. One can only go so far by cheating.

I think that from a broader perspective this meets the need of the hour and provides many students like me who are desperate to meet the final deadlines of B School application a fighting chance. I think the adcoms are on board with this because there is concern among B schools that many of their international students wont get the F 1 visas on time and will have to defer their admissions to next year. Hence they need to fill the Fall 2020 matriculating class and are eager to accept such score that lets local candidate apply in late rounds. Tepper has already declared that it will deffer its applications to students who aren't able to obtain visas and will refund its deposit.
https://www.cmu.edu/tepper/programs/mba ... i=85228491

These are unprecedented times and no one knows how long this will last. Even if the travel ban were to be lifted in July, can international students get a visa date? Even if they do, how feasible is it that they will make it to their schools in time? I dont know and I'm sure the folks in the B School community feel the same way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Fair or not, I think people need to recognize the fact that the test only exists for schools to gauge their candidates. Right now, schools won’t have a test unless testing companies come up with a solution. GMAC is a company that needs to cater to its customers otherwise they risk being replaced by some other evaluation method (eg Yale SOM’s behavioral assessment, which Yale says is a better predictor).

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Send PM
Kudos
coinsy wrote:
Fair or not, I think people need to recognize the fact that the test only exists for schools to gauge their candidates. Right now, schools won’t have a test unless testing companies come up with a solution. GMAC is a company that needs to cater to its customers otherwise they risk being replaced by some other evaluation method (eg Yale SOM’s behavioral assessment, which Yale says is a better predictor).

It is interesting to note that Yale's SOM's behavior assessment is administered by ETS. Because there is no right or wrong answer, SOM can indeed be taken from home.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  183