GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT at Home - All You Need to Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
GMAT at Home - All You Need to Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Mar 2020, 08:13
I just got an email that we can start taking GRE at home. Any idea if GMAT will do the same? I thought this was pretty cool!

Live NOW! GMAT at Home (Studying in the Time of Corona). Watch HERE!

Although, I hope they Video record test takers to prevent any cheating.
What do you guys think?

Links:
https://www.ets.org/s/cv/gre/at-home/
More announcements: https://www.ets.org/s/cv/gre/the-americas/
Interested in GRE? Join the GREPrepClub.com

The test is offered in your country or location. As of March 23, 2020 (13:00 UTC), the at home test is available in the United States, Canada, Colombia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Hong Kong (China) and Macau (China).
You must have computer equipment that meets the requirements for the test.
You must have a room that provides an acceptable environment for the test.

Official ETS Email:
Quote:
ETS
Dear ETS account holder,

Be one of the first to say, "I took my GRE® General Test at home!"

Starting Monday, you can register to take the GRE General Test online in your own home. While the current health crisis is putting limitations on our daily lives, ETS and the GRE® Program are pleased to introduce this convenient and flexible new testing option to you. We want you to keep your future education plans on track from the comfort and safety of home.

The GRE General Test at home gives you:

Same price as testing in a test center
Same valid and reliable test
Same score delivery timing
Same score acceptance by graduate, business or law programs
Convenient, flexible and safe testing at home
Testing at home won't be around for long and test at home sessions are limited. Registration opens Monday, March 23 at 9 a.m. EDT (13:00 UTC). See if you are eligible — visit ets.org/gre/at-home today!

Sincerely,

The GRE Program Team at ETS

Privacy Policy | Subscribe | Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2020 by Educational Testing Service. All rights reserved. ETS, the ETS logo and GRE are registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). 480406043

ETS | Rosedale Road | Princeton, NJ 08541”

Transcript and highlights of the webinar:

Plain and simple: Goal is for students to continue their educational journey with a reliable testing methodology....
Need for it is right now…
Convenient, flexible and safe options for testing…
This may be able to minimize the disruptions…
Same research based reliable general test… delivered in a diff way
Remains the Gold standard for English language proficiency…
All features will exist..
We are aware of the urgent need…
NOT ABLE TO DELIVER PAPER score to the school, only those schools signed up for the electronic delivery method will receive it. So urge everyone to sign up for the ETS data manager. SIGN UP …
STNRP… CODE means remote proctor… (So I guess the schools will be able to differentiate whether the test was taken at home or not)…
ONLY on a WINDOWS OS as of now 10, 8 or 7…
ETS recognizes that privacy is a challenge when everyone is at home but is a requirement…
Best in class security measures…
We hold back from sharing some security measures that we don’t want to disclose so that students could override them… But AI is capable of detecting any malicious activity…
Background software not allowed..
Proctor can stop the test midway…
We know that this will not continue and will return to normal conditions so that we can return to normal…
Waiving the reschedule fees… even if the centers are open and student feels uncomfortable even then they can reschedule at no fee…
Fairness is baked into everything we do at the ETS… statistically analyse to remove qs that might seem disadvantageous to some groups…
More countries to follow for the home edition…
Looking to improve in critically markets like India and China…
Students will be able to see their scores in 10-15 days online…
Capacity for testing: No: of students ready to test immediately will be less than it is normally…
Will the at home service be available in the future? We developed the solution to meet the immediate need and that our reason for offering it... (Umm kinda avoided the topic if you ask me with a diplomatic answer)...

Eileen Tyson
Executive Director, Global Client Relations
ETS

Use the link below to enter the webcast at any time.

WEBCAST LINK: https://event.on24.com/wcc/r/2237632/72 ... @gmail.com

Here is How the Test will work (thanks carcass for posting the video)

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

File comment: ETS presentation slides for the GRE at home edition
EST webinar.pdf [903.52 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times

To download please login or register as a user

Originally posted by ari.banerjee on 22 Mar 2020, 14:24.
Last edited by ari.banerjee on 27 Mar 2020, 08:13, edited 16 times in total.
Board of Directors
D
Re: GMAT at Home - All You Need to Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:28
Top Contributor
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:29
You are right! Just found it!

More announcements:
https://www.ets.org/s/cv/gre/the-americas/

Quote:
NEW: At Home Testing for the GRE® General Test
ETS has announced an at home testing solution for the GRE® General Test for students who have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19). Monitoring of the test will be conducted using live remote proctors by ProctorU®, the leading proctoring solution for online testing.

Taking the GRE General Test at home is available from March 23 (13:00 UTC) in selected countries where students can take the test at home beginning Friday, March 27. We are continuing to assess the impact of the pandemic on test centers worldwide and are working to make the solution available in additional locations impacted by the pandemic.

The test is identical in content, format, on-screen experience and scoring to the GRE General Test taken at a test center. It is monitored online by a trained human proctor from start to finish to maintain test security.

S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:30
I think this is so cool! I think we are at the brink of a new test taking experience. I hate the test Centers so much lol

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:32
This is pretty crazy news! I thought this was fake (i swear I did).
Now that it is not, I am a new man. My bet is GMAT will follow in 2 weeks tops.

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:32
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
You are right! Just found it!

More announcements:
https://www.ets.org/s/cv/gre/the-americas/

Quote:
NEW: At Home Testing for the GRE® General Test
ETS has announced an at home testing solution for the GRE® General Test for students who have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19). Monitoring of the test will be conducted using live remote proctors by ProctorU®, the leading proctoring solution for online testing.

Taking the GRE General Test at home is available from March 23 (13:00 UTC) in selected countries where students can take the test at home beginning Friday, March 27. We are continuing to assess the impact of the pandemic on test centers worldwide and are working to make the solution available in additional locations impacted by the pandemic.

The test is identical in content, format, on-screen experience and scoring to the GRE General Test taken at a test center. It is monitored online by a trained human proctor from start to finish to maintain test security.

See the video above on how it will work.

However, that procedure is NOT for all locations around the world. You should contact them to see how and in what manner
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:34
Mind. Blown.

Best news of the week. Thank you soooo much for sharing!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:36
My gf wrote the LSAT a few months ago and while I feel like LSAC is light years behind GMAT in test taking experience they introduced the LSAT writing section which is exactly the same as the above video from GRE! I wondered when this technology will transcend to Other forums.

It took the COVID 19 crisis to do it!

I think this will change everything!

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:42
Top Contributor
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:44
carcass wrote:
I do think HUGE praise for ETS for the resilience to cope with the disruption of the Covid-19, going to meet the necessities of the students

Totally agree! That's thinking on their feet and being proactive rather than waiting for this whole thing to blow over. It may be here to stay and they are acting. Starting to restore my faith in humanity (and the education system!)
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:45
carcass wrote:
For now NO GMAT. You can follow the update here https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus

For the GRE here https://www.ets.org/s/cv/important-update/

Here is how the GRE should work via Proctors

The test is offered in your country or location. As of March 23, 2020 (13:00 UTC), the at home test is available in the United States, Canada, Colombia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Hong Kong (China) and Macau (China).
You must have computer equipment that meets the requirements for the test.
You must have a room that provides an acceptable environment for the test.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Mar 2020, 15:14
Now one can clearly see which test company is more entrepreneurial. ETS will surely steal a good share of test takers in short term, and I predict that the test will be available in more locations soon. Of course, the "at home" experience will last only if folks in ETS are certain that cheating does not happen.

I am really curious to see whether GMAC will do anything about the situation.

Off to buy a Windows laptop :)

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 22 Mar 2020, 14:45.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 22 Mar 2020, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:49
mykrasovski wrote:
Now one can clearly see which test company is more entrepreneurial. ETS will surely steal a good share of test takers in short term, and I predict that the test will be available in more locations soon. Of course, the "at home" experience will last only if ETS be certain that cheating does not happen.

I am really curious to see whether GMAC will do anything about the situation.

Off to buy a Windows laptop :)

Honestly if there is a suspicion of cheating, ETS can always say "Sorry - we cancel your score" or they can send the scores to schools and say - these were taken at home - do you really care? GRE is not a very competitive test and taken by almost a million times per year - in the Master's programs enrollment it often plays less importance than GMAT for example in MBA admissions, so the stakes are lower and cheating is less likely for those looking to get a Master's degree to be a teacher or other normal profession as opposed to investment banker or surgeon.

P.S. Microsoft Stock is going to jump tomorrow as everyone goes to buy Windows PC's
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 14:53
I am starting to digest this as my adrenaline rush is subsiding... looks like no options for the #2 and #3 Markets - China and India. Also, no UK or Australia?

I know that one never had to prove one's residency. What if I am a Chinese national traveling to Germany. Can I take the test from a hotel room? How do I have to prove my residency? Will we have "traveling" GRE Test-takers?
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 15:00
bb wrote:
I am starting to digest this as my adrenaline rush is subsiding... looks like no options for the #2 and #3 Markets - China and India. Also, no UK or Australia?

I know that one never had to prove one's residency. What if I am a Chinese national traveling to Germany. Can I take the test from a hotel room? How do I have to prove my residency? Will we have "traveling" GRE Test-takers?

Well amid this international travel ban how can a Chinese or Indian national travel internationally?

I guess if you are at China you could go to Hongkong or Macau as it’s very easy to get the visa there but I doubt if it’s feasible for Indian nationals yet. I live in Canada so I’m happy that this works out for me but feel bad for my friends in India who’ll have to wait a few months. I believe cheating is a major concern because of which these countries weren’t included in the list.

Perhaps ETS is brainstorming a new strategy to prohibit any cheating in these locations (maybe a live video feed while you write the test). Who knows. I’m excited how this will unfold and what GMAT will do to counter this move. Your move GMAC ;-)

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 15:02
I think you don't need to worry. My guess is that every Director of Admissions of Every BSchool is going to be emailing and calling GMAC tomorrow asking the exactly same question :cool:

ari.banerjee wrote:
bb wrote:

Well amid this international travel ban how can a Chinese or Indian national travel internationally?

I guess if you are at China you could go to Hongkong or Macau as it’s very easy to get the visa there but I doubt if it’s feasible for Indian nationals yet. I live in Canada so I’m happy that this works out for me but feel bad for my friends in India who’ll have to wait a few months. I believe cheating is a major concern because of which these countries weren’t included in the list.

Perhaps ETS is brainstorming a new strategy to prohibit any cheating in these locations (maybe a live video feed while you write the test). Who knows. I’m excited how this will unfold and what GMAT will do to counter this move. Your move GMAC ;-)

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 15:02
WOW WOW WOW

I do think the GMAT will follow suit. They pretty much have to.

How about this, I am going to take the new GMAT from home :P, while at the same time being on the phone with GMATNinja in my teeny tiny airpods :D

But kidding aside, this is great news for most people. I wonder what the room requirements are.
D
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 15:04
For GMAT: What about all the bio-metric requirements that one has to suffice at the test center? And monitoring the breaks?

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 15:06
souvik101990 let's think about the number of digits in the price tag for such "tutoring" services, lol.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2020, 15:06
Thinking about it, i do see one area of concern and potential stumbling block for GMAC - questions. Even if you have a proctor watching you and monitoring your test, there is still a potential that the test taker will setup a hidden camera to record their Test questions and then shares them. Not sure what the solution is to this... this is going to be interesting....
Re: GMAT at Home - All You Need to Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2020, 15:06

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 167 posts ] 

GMAT at Home - All You Need to Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep