It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 111

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GRE 1: 313 Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)
CAT Tests
GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 09:22
Dear GMAT Club members,

First of all... Hello to all.

I have taken GMAT 10 days and my score is 640 (Q -50 , V - 26, IR -7 , AWA 4.0). Although this represents my actual level, I would like to increase some 40 to 50 points. Please suggest me on ways to improve the score.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brief exp of my previous preparation and attempt:

1)I studied for around 3 -4 months.
2)Took the verbal course from egmat , but could only master the SC part.. Even though I completed the remaining parts (RC and CR), I couldn't gain full knowledge of the concepts / application. (Don't get me wrong.. Egmat course is very good ....May be I was not the right fit for the egmat course).
3) In the practice mocks (800 scores, GMAT prep 1,2 ., MGMAT) .. My scores in the verbal fluctuated between 29 and 35.
4) For quant , I didn't take any materials. Went through the GMAT club Quant book and practiced the questions on CAT's and GMAT club.

Exam Day :

1) took the 3rd order ( Q, V, IR and AWA)
2) Quant went good. Don't think I remember making any silly mistakes
3) Verbal ..

Thought that first few questions went good. But took lot of time.. (timing is my main issue in verbal). 3rd RC came relatively late compared to my practice test and little bit lengthy as well. From there , I lost the plot and couldn't concentrate on the accuracy. ( I was just going on.. )

In short.. Verbal went wrong .. and I would accept that there were some concepts gaps and also issue with the application of the known concepts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am planning to take the exam again in month of Dec (preferably before 10th ).And also, this is going to be my last time as well. ( i feel like .. GMAT has defeated me)
So I have around 2 months on my hand.
My sole focus this time would be to improve the verbal score ( obviously with out losing the Quant score ). My target score in verbal is 36 ( so that I can get to 700 level). And I want to try the different approach / way this time around. (And also, Egmat subscription is expired ... so anyhow i have to buy a new course for the verbal.)

I read some very good reviews EmpowerGmat , so.. I am thinking of trying their verbal course.
Could you all please provide your feedback on the EmpowerGmat course

Regards,
Bharath

14 Kudos left to unlock next level. Help me by Contributing one for cause :) .. Please

My GMAT experience ... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-bad-experience-640-need-suggestions-on-verbal-improvement-251308.html

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 111

EMPOWERgmat Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 12:59
EmpowerGmat is great to learn tactics for Verbal .You can try Magoosh to practice and improve your timings on verbal .Magoosh question bank is amazing .

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 16:56
I think if you could improve your verbal, you have a great chance of landing score as good as of 730 and 740.
What you need to do is buy one book for CR, Powerscore Bible, and Manhattan SC correction book. Read the books very carefully, take note and then watch a couple of videos all taught by Ron to complement your understanding of the materials in books.
For your practice though, only and only practice fro official materials. A perfection of SC and CR will give a good chance to land score above 37 because during the exam you will be able to drag RC along the way.
For RC, think again, Ron is the best. Watch a couple of videos, master the question concepts and make sure at least two or three question types are like a cakewalk for you.
All the Best.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 419

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hi Bharath,

I received your email and wanted to confirm that I reviewed your ESR and responded with some notes/suggestions. I haven't heard back from you yet - but you can feel free to PM me here or email me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

Re: GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 16:57

GMAT Bad experience ... 640.. Need suggestions on Verbal improvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap