Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT books [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Neha,

About 4 weeks ago, you posted the following message:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/restart-gmat ... l#p1839652

But you never responded to any of the questions. If it's been several months since you were in 'study mode', we should start by getting a sense of your current GMAT skills, strengths and weaknesses. As such, I strongly recommend that you take a NEW CAT and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

1) What is your goal score?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) When are you planning to apply?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Neha,

About 4 weeks ago, you posted the following message:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/restart-gmat ... l#p1839652

But you never responded to any of the questions. If it's been several months since you were in 'study mode', we should start by getting a sense of your current GMAT skills, strengths and weaknesses. As such, I strongly recommend that you take a NEW CAT and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

1) What is your goal score?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) When are you planning to apply?

Rich

Hello,

So my exam is on 26th of this month. And in my last GMAT prep test 3 I scored 640 (Quantitative 49, verbal 29).
I need some tips badly to improve my score.

In answer to your questions:

1) What is your goal score? 700 at least
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to? ISB, NUS, NTU, Rottman, majorly
3) When are you planning to apply? I plan to start in October, after I am satisfied with my score. I hope its not too late for me to give the exam? I took this date, so that even if I goof this up, I can retake,and still have time for ISB first round. You think its okay?

Thanks,
Neha

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Neha,

If you had posted this yesterday, then my first piece of advice would have been to push back your Test Date. Since your Exam is now 7 days away, it's not clear whether you have enough 'lead time' to do that now - but if you can push it back, then you should. Raising your score 60+ points in one week is likely too challenging of a task to be considered realistic, especially since you're already performing at a relatively high level (and I have to assume that you haven't gotten close to 700 yet). With a V29, you're likely losing serious points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so you need more than just "tips" - you need to learn and practice new Verbal Tactics (and all of that work will take time - probably 3-4 weeks).

On this last CAT how many questions did you get wrong in the Verbal section....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices but "guessed wrong"?
5) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Rich

Hi Rich,

In answer to your questions:

The score I have been recently getting:

GMAT PREP 3 is 640, Quant 49 (11 incorrect), Verbal 29 (14 incorrect) - Taken July 17, 2017
GMAT PREP 4 is 620, Quant 45 (12 incorrect), Verbal 28 (15 incorrect) - Taken July 20, 2017
CAT EXAM #4 Completed July 22, 2017 Score: 620, Quant 41 (19 incorrect) Verbal 34 (18 incorrect)
CAT EXAM #3 Completed July 21, 2017 Score: 640 Quant 43 Verbal 34
CAT EXAM #2 Completed July 02, 2017 Score: 640 Quant 44 Verbal 34

On this last CAT how many questions did you get wrong in the Verbal section.... mentioned above
1) Because of a silly/little mistake? I run out of time, stuck on DS, some complex quant questions, and CR questions
3) Because the question was too hard? In quant and CR is my weak area
4) Because you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices but "guessed wrong"? In a few CR questions
5) Because you were low on time and had to guess? YES

Another query,
My target is 700. Mostly I am running out of time, don't know why! Also, I want to take more GMAT prep mocks, so if I reset GMAT prep 3 and 4, will it give a diluted score, or a reliable score? Will the questions repeat?

Thanks,
NEha
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Neha,

Were you able to push back your Test Date or are you still scheduled to take the GMAT on July 26th?

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, we need to define WHY you are getting Verbal questions wrong. As such, I need EXACT answers to the questions that I asked earlier (I need to know how MANY questions you got wrong for each of the following reasons).

On this last CAT how many questions did you get wrong in the Verbal section....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices but "guessed wrong"?
5) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

In addition, based on what you described in your last post, you took 4 CATs in the last 6 days - and that is TOO MANY CATs for such a short period of time. A CAT is really just a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really should not take more than 1 FULL CAT per week. Thus, you need to STOP taking CATs until you've put in some significant additional study. Furthermore, if you are going to take the GMAT on July 26h, then you should NOT take any additional CATs before then.

Rich

HI Rich,

I could not reschedule my test as the date was less than 7 days away. Well, I guess I will to retake it after I am done with this GMAT. I don't have enough time to study additional stuff.

On this last CAT how many questions did you get wrong in the Verbal section....I got 15 wrong, I am evaluating the GMAT prep 4, not the Manhattan ones, as I think they are not very balanced, the Quant is too tough,Verbal too easy.
1) Because of a silly/little mistake? 5
2) Because there was some verbal that you just could not remember how to do? 4
3) Because the question was too hard? 4
4) Because you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices but "guessed wrong"? 2
5) Because you were low on time and had to guess? None

Thanks,
NEha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Neha,

While you don't have a lot of time before your Official GMAT, the information that you provided in your last post points to something that you CAN work on during these last few days...

There are only 41 questions in the Verbal section - and you just admitted to getting 5 of them wrong for silly reasons (that should be avoidable). That's over 10% of the Verbal section. Put a different way, of the 15 questions that you got wrong, ONE THIRD of them were because of silly reasons (that should be avoidable). To maximize your performance on Test Day, you have to take responsibility for the 'precision' in your work, meaning that you shouldn't ever do anything that would jeopardize your chances of getting a question correct. Test Takers who do work 'in their heads' increase the risk of those types of mistakes. Test Takers who 'skim' RC/CR prompts increase the risk of those types of mistakes. Test Takers who don't take notes increase the risk of those types of mistakes. So what are you going to do differently now?

Unfortunately, these are not the only adjustments that you would have to make to maximize your performance, but they're a good place to start. When you include the questions that you 'narrowed down to two choices' but still got wrong, there's a big potential for a serious point gain. You should plan to post back here after you've taken the GMAT on July 26th. We can then review your Score and discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot