Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [10]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [3]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [2]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's GMAT Gossip | Ask Questions | Get Answers [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Let's kick start some discussion on this topic.

How many questions you have skipped in the verbal section and still got a V38 or plus?

I, once in GMAT prep with 41 verbal questions, got a V38 by skipping the last three questions, among them 2 were SC, and 1 was CR question.

Which of the verbal sections was easy for you to go with? Questions from which section (SC/RC/CR) has been easy for you to answer and why?

SC is easy to go with, one can save time from SC questions to put that into CR or RC

How did you attack the SC/RC/CR questions? Would you recommend your strategy?

SC: Read the sentence very carefully, know the meaning and then use the splits to answer

RC: Read the passage carefully, concentrate on triggering words i.e However, additionally, alternatively, surprisingly, and so on. Do not concentrate on details. After reading each paragraph conclude it in your mind and make a note (not more than one line/sentence). Do the same with all paragraphs and connect the notes you have made during reading. For global (primary purpose) questions you cannot go to re-read the passage. For specific detail questions, do not hesitate to read the related text again.

CR: Read carefully, conclude the passage in your mind if the conclusion is not given in it. Pre-think before reading the answer choices and finally, use the POE to get the answer.

Do you think you could have gotten a few more points by doing/not doing any particular thing during/before the test?

• A great start is better than a great end so you might invest a bit more time on the first 9 questions.
  • Too much cautious approach in the first 9 questions will definitely prove wrong and you will run out of time.
  • Do not ever spend more than 2:45 on any one question.
  • In the last section (question 28 to onward) if you think the question is tough then better to skip it and not waste even 30 seconds on it and save the time for the next question.
  • Do not skip questions in a bunch.

What was your weakest point for the test?

-Test pressure
-Time pressure
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jashwant wrote:
This is great !!!

Would like to ask, at what point during the preparation should we start practicing questions with timer?

Ans: When you think you have learned enough concepts and strategies to solve the questions and now can concentrate on the practice. There are three parts of GMAT prep usually.

1. Learn the concept
2. Practice the questions
3. Ready for the test by taking full-length CATs

Keep the timer with you when you start the second phase of the test.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
I should concede this is an astonishing drive. In the end every one of the applicants with every one of their inquiries will incline toward this post for answers and won't need to invest an excess of energy making new posts and rehashing a similar inquiry and once more.
Additionally this makes it more straightforward for any individual who needs to respond to the inquiries too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I'm 37 years old, native English speaker, graduate education, 10+ years of work experience in education. I needed at least 600 on the GMAT to be accepted to my top choice MBA, which I got today (unofficial score was 670).

How many questions you have skipped in the verbal section and still got a V38 or plus?

There were a few questions that stumped me. Maybe three or four where I read and reread the five options, and there were either two that were equally strong, or there was no answer that was appealing.

I didn't skip any, though. I finished the section with about 7 minutes to spare. My unofficial score was V42 I think.

Which of the verbal sections was easy for you to go with? Questions from which section (SC/RC/CR) has been easy for you to answer and why?

Sentence corrections are typically the fastest to choose a response. But I think I have a higher score in reading comprehension, because I have better skills in that area.

How did you attack the SC/RC/CR questions? Would you recommend your strategy?

I read and reread until it makes sense in my head. For RC I want to have a very clear understanding of the differences of the multiple choice options, and then go and look for the answer.

Do you think you could have gotten a few more points by doing/not doing any particular thing during/before the test?

Better sleep for three or four nights prior to the test. But I have two kids under age 3 so that's wishful thinking.

What was your weakest point for the test?

Quantitative.

How was the environment at the test center? Any suggestion or recommendation?

Online GMAT. Being able to use my own office as my test room was glorious. Great chair, monitor, keyboard, mini-whiteboard, lighting, temperature, and no disruptions.

Make sure you go over all the rules very carefully the week before. The mini-whiteboard is the most important part - but you could even lose your water bottle if it's not transparent. Don't get caught on the little things. Have a great test day.

Launching the test was difficult. I recommend starting the process 15 minutes ahead of time if you're computer-savvy, 30 minutes if you're not, and as soon as you get stuck, use the pop-up in the bottom right hand corner to "talk with an expert" via instant messaging.

Roughly how many questions you have practiced before the test? (Number of questions Quant and Verbal)

I did all the practice questions on the official GMAT prep, including the two practice exams. I also used mathisfun . com and some free GMAT apps including MAGOOSH, although not exhaustively. I also googled "gmat pdf" and got a 500-page prep document, which I used sparsely. More for math.

Except the Official GMAT source, questions from which source you will recommend to the fellow students if someone runs out of official questions?

For math, MAGOOSH had some good stuff.

How much time you have spent preparing IR and AWA sections? Any advice?

IR doesn't really require any separate preparation. You're using verbal and quantitative skills simultaneously, so your prep for those sections should serve you well. Just do the official prep to get an idea of the kinds of questions you'll be asked.

I wrote up a single AWA for the first official practice test, as I was not worried about this section. As this is the last section, your brain might be a bit foggy by the time you get here. If you have months to work on your mental endurance, lucky you. Otherwise, get some fresh air during each break, stay hydrated, bring a few small snacks - I scarfed down mandarins, kiwis and bananas during the breaks, after using the restroom.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you hunkyhunky

Your participation does matter :thumbsup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Let's say I gave my Gmat in the next month. And I'm not satisfied so I cancelled my score online/offline. Now I took a retake and then gave the exam and just in case my second exam score is less than the first one. Do i have an option to reinstate the first score again and submit that to College?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMAT1221 wrote:
Let's say I gave my Gmat in the next month. And I'm not satisfied so I cancelled my score online/offline. Now I took a retake and then gave the exam and just in case my second exam score is less than the first one. Do i have an option to reinstate the first score again and submit that to College?

Posted from my mobile device

Not really. If you opt for a second attempt for the GMAT exam then the score of your first attempt won’t be valid anymore.
It’s advisable to prepare accordingly for your second attempt but if in any case you don’t get satisfactory scores, you will have to opt for schools that have a relatively lower GMAT score requirement. You can also opt for schools that do not require a GMAT score at all.
If you need any help with shortlisting the schools suitable for your score and profile, you can get in touch with experts.

We have helped over 5000 students get admit into their dream schools.
If you would like we can set up a free consulting session with you at your convenience
You can set up a Free consulting session with our experts through the link provided:
BOOK YOUR FREE SESSION

In this call, you will be getting:

a)Deep Profile Evaluation: Strengths and Weaknesses

b)Ideal Target Schools for your Profile

c) Timeline for your Applications

d) 3X Admit Chances
_______

Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

97% Success Rate| 5000+ Admits in Top Schools| 5 Million Euros in Scholarships
GMAT Club Bot