Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [20]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: In a recent neurological study of the intraparieta [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is D).

A) - placement of "both" is questionable. Makes more sense to say "that had both blind and sighted participants".

B) - "consisting" as a modifier seems to modify "intraparietal sulcus" instead of "neurological study", which is what it should modify.

C) - "of" seems to be the wrong preposition here - seems to suggest that the study is on the "intraparietal sulcus" of patients. But in this case, IS should probably best be in its plural form.

D) - "with" is a better preposition here.

E) - "in which" suggests that "IS" is an abstract location for participants to be in. Does not make sense.

So D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: In a recent neurological study of the intraparieta [#permalink]
Kudos
In a recent neurological study of the intraparietal sulcus that had blind and sighted participants both, the areas of the brain involved in numerical reasoning were shown by fMRI scans to become increasingly active as the subjects worked through math problems.

(A) that had blind and sighted participants both
'that had both blind participants and sighted participants' should be a better construction. Parallelism in BOTH x and y.
'IN WHICH" is better than THAT here

(B) consisting of blind and of sighted participants
Again glaring parallelism issue between of blind and of sighted participants.
Consisting itself means they are participants.

(C) of both blind and sighted participants
Study contained the participants. so incorrect.

(D) with blind and sighted participants
Better than remaining. Would be better if written 'with blind participants and sighted participants.'

(E) in which participants were both blind and sighted
Changes the meaning. Illogical to say the same participants were blind and sighted too.

D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
Answer Option : D

1. Study of X with (Y and Z)

2. Usage of "BOTH" creates redundancy. It shows blind and slight are one person

3. "With" - Blind (person 1) and slighted (person 2) - interpret, the study was with 2 different person, give intended meaning.

In a recent neurological study
of the intraparietal sulcus

(with blind and sighted participants),

the areas of the brain involved in numerical reasoning were shown by fMRI scans to become increasingly active

as the subjects worked through math problems.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [1]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Kudos
The intended meaning of the sentence should make clear WHOSE intraparietal sulcus was studied.

“that had” refers to “study”, and we know that the study had such participants. However, we don’t why the study had them. Whether their intraparietal sulcus was studied or whether study analyzed intraparietal sulcus of someone else and then separately analyzed blind and sighted participants for something else. Not clear, hence wrong.

“that had” may also refer to “intraparietal sulcus”. Because we don’t know this thing is, we may assume that it’s the name of a group or some organization that indeed may have these people. Another reason for why A is wrong.

once gain it’s unclear whether the study or “intraparietal sulcus” consists of these participants.
Moreover, saying that “study consists of these people” is somehow illogical. the study can consist of observation, blood analysis, MRI, or any other method, but not of people. Hence incorrect.

Correct choice because modifiers are placed correctly.
“study of the intraparietal sulcus of both blind and sighted participants” implies that “intraparietal sulcus” is a certain human organ, and this organ of both sited people and blind people was studied.
Note that we cannot interpret C as if saying that the same person was both blind and sighted because such a meaning is illogical, no reader will interpret C this way. So, C is unambiguous.

“study with blind and sighted participants” doesn’t necessarily mean that these participants were studied, but may also mean that these participants was a part of a research group. It reads like “The US organized a study of Mars with Russian astronauts”.

This choice however is unlike C because it indeed seems to suggest that a participant was blind and sighted at the same time. Illogical meaning.

So C
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
JonShukhrat wrote:
The intended meaning of the sentence should make clear WHOSE intraparietal sulcus was studied.

“that had” refers to “study”, and we know that the study had such participants. However, we don’t why the study had them. Whether their intraparietal sulcus was studied or whether study analyzed intraparietal sulcus of someone else and then separately analyzed blind and sighted participants for something else. Not clear, hence wrong.

“that had” may also refer to “intraparietal sulcus”. Because we don’t know this thing is, we may assume that it’s the name of a group or some organization that indeed may have these people. Another reason for why A is wrong.

once gain it’s unclear whether the study or “intraparietal sulcus” consists of these participants.
Moreover, saying that “study consists of these people” is somehow illogical. the study can consist of observation, blood analysis, MRI, or any other method, but not of people. Hence incorrect.

Correct choice because modifiers are placed correctly.
“study of the intraparietal sulcus of both blind and sighted participants” implies that “intraparietal sulcus” is a certain human organ, and this organ of both sited people and blind people was studied.
Note that we cannot interpret C as if saying that the same person was both blind and sighted because such a meaning is illogical, no reader will interpret C this way. So, C is unambiguous.

“study with blind and sighted participants” doesn’t necessarily mean that these participants were studied, but may also mean that these participants was a part of a research group. It reads like “The US organized a study of Mars with Russian astronauts”.

This choice however is unlike C because it indeed seems to suggest that a participant was blind and sighted at the same time. Illogical meaning.

So C

Hello, JonShukhrat. I appreciate your treatment of both answer choices (C) and (D), so I have awarded you a kudos. I agree that while in (C), the ambiguity is not absolute, and, furthermore, that in (D), with can have a dual meaning, it really comes down to which of the two options is the safer bet, based on contextual clues. In this case, I would argue that the presence of both adds nothing in the way of clarity and indeed hinders the expression of vital meaning—removing it and coming to terms with with is preferable to that end.

Thank you for your thorough treatment of the answer choices.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts