Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618870 [30]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618870 [6]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Local authorities claim that following a recent re [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (C).

Pre-thinking
Why 1% instead of 0.1%? This question seems to require some outside knowledge. If 0.1% can cause significant cognitive impairment, this measure cannot greatly reduce car accidents. On the other hand, if people's blood alcohol concentration is normally at 1.1% or higher, local authorities will be driven out of office by locals.

The only consequence of being caught with 1% or higher is to have driving license revoked, rather than to imprison the one-percenter for the rest of their lives. What if people are all willing to drive without license?

The measure only apples to drivers caught with 1%. What if only 1% of offenders can be caught?

Now, take a look at options:
(A) This deterrence scenario can reasonably occur. But the argument does not reply on it. The argument focuses on removing drunk drivers.
Still, I would keep it for now.

(B) What is the precise meaning of "greatly" in "greatly reduce the number of car accidents per year"? If by "greatly", the local authorities tries to cut car accidents by 99%, it does has dependency on this fact. On the other hand, if 5% reduction is already considered "greatly", whether this statement hold does not hold.

(C) The best answer. If has to be true for the authorities plan to work. It directly defeats the only consequence of being found with violation. If license revocation cannot prevent people from driving and causing the majority of car accidents, implementing such measurement may not reduce car accidents "greatly".
Certainly, some people won't drive without license. This measure can still reduce car accident incidence, if only by merely reducing the number of drivers on the road. Some politicians will still call it a great success.

In test center, I would choose (C) and go to the next question. I think no other answers can beat (C).

(D) it turns out to be a strong contender. 1% can be an arbitrary number. If the reality is:
> Drivers who have 0.1% - 1% blood alcohol are most likely to cause accidents.
> Drivers who have 1%-2% blood alcohol are 90% less likely to cause accidents. (Most of them are too drunk to start the car.)
> Drivers who have 2% or higher blood alcohol cannot even walk to their cars and thus would not cause any car accidents.
Still, (D) does not mention driver license, which is the core to the local authorities' legislation.

(E) This one explains why 1% is a reasonable threshold.
But the measure does not depend on it. Once drivers hit 1% or higher, maybe their reaction times shorten, which can also cause accidents.
Again, (E) does not mention driver license.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 1121
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.51
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Local authorities claim that following a recent re [#permalink]
Kudos
Local authorities claim that following a recent report showing that the chance that a driver is involved in a car accident increases with that driver’s blood alcohol levels, they have decided to legislate the following law, which they expect to greatly reduce the number of car accidents per year: “Drivers caught with a blood alcohol concentration of 1% or more will have their driving license revoked.”

Which of the following does the local authorities’ argument rely upon?

A. The threat of a revoked license causes drivers to drink less alcohol before they drive, reducing the total number of car accidents. we need to eliminate drinking altogether not just the amount they drink

B. The majority of drivers who cause accidents usually drive with 1% blood alcohol or more. irrelevant

C. The majority of car accidents are not caused by drivers who drive without a license. necesssary assumption.if negated tores the argument

D. When driving, drivers who have less than 1% blood alcohol are statistically unlikely to cause accidents. this strengthening but not a necessary assumption

E. Once drivers’ blood alcohol concentration rises above 1%, their reaction times slow, making them unable to respond in time to dangerous situations. This is not a necessary assumption
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Dear IanStewart

Your help in sorting out this problem would be invaluable.
I don’t like any of the answer choices. The correct choice must be a “required” assumption

The stem says that “the chance that a driver is INVOLVED in a car accident increases with that driver’s blood alcohol levels”.
This excerpt doesn’t necessarily mean that alcohol consuming drivers actually “cause” the accident. They are simply involved. They may have caused it, or just were the part of an accident caused by someone else. Demographics may mostly consist of reckless driving youth and carefully driving old people with some beer inside, who may get into trouble because of multiple races these youth organize, and so on. There can be many scenarios in which alcohol consuming people are actually not the cause of the accident.

If the licenses of such old people are revoked then the number of accidents are not going decline significantly. We need an answer choice that shows these alcohol consuming people are ACTUALLY causing the accident. I think B gives us this link and a better option than C. However, B still doesn’t necessarily have to be true.

The negation of C says that 50% or more accidents are caused by the drivers without licenses. In such a case the conclusion may still hold true because the remaining accidents are still a considerable amount. And if these 49% or fewer accidents are caused by alcohol consuming people, then the number of accidents is still going to drop considerably. So, C isn’t our assumption.

This was my way of thought. It would be much informative to know your thoughts on this. Many thanks beforehand.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Local authorities claim that following a recent re [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Local authorities claim that following a recent report showing that the chance that a driver is involved in a car accident increases with that driver’s blood alcohol levels, they have decided to legislate the following law, which they expect to greatly reduce the number of car accidents per year: “Drivers caught with a blood alcohol concentration of 1% or more will have their driving license revoked.”

Which of the following does the local authorities’ argument rely upon?

A. The threat of a revoked license causes drivers to drink less alcohol before they drive, reducing the total number of car accidents.

B. The majority of drivers who cause accidents usually drive with 1% blood alcohol or more.

C. The majority of car accidents are not caused by drivers who drive without a license.

It's a bit of a ridiculous question, because someone with a blood-alcohol level of 1% will be dead, so it won't matter if you revoke their driver's license. They presumably mean 0.1%. The first sentence of the stem is also bizarre: "Local authorities claim... they have decided to legislate the following law". What is the word "claim" doing there? Is it possibly untrue that they will enact this law?

Anyway, to respond to Jon's points: I agree there's a potential correlation-causation error in the stem (maybe it's young drivers who are most often drunk drivers, and maybe young drivers are reckless drivers and cause a lot of accidents whether they drink or not, so even if the law works as a complete deterrent, it might have no effect), so that might be the assumption the right answer addresses.

But the argument relies on many other assumptions too, and we only need to find one of them. For example, the argument is also assuming people won't drive dramatically more often after the law is in place -- if driving increased a lot, you'd possibly have more accidents even if drivers were safer. Or more fundamentally, the argument is assuming some people right now in this locality drive with a blood-alcohol level at or near 1% (if no one does now, the law won't accomplish anything). And it's assuming there is a great number of accidents in the locality right now, because if there isn't a great number, it's hard to see how they could "greatly reduce the number". So an answer choice addressing any of these issues would have been correct.

The argument does assume that revoking licenses will have some effect on driving behaviour, or on drinking behaviour. If people are perfectly willing to drive without a license, and the law has no deterrent effect, then the law might not accomplish anything. So an answer something like C is a good answer here, though I have no idea what the phrase "the majority of car accidents" has to do with anything in C -- the argument isn't specifically relying on any particular fact about "the majority" of accidents. It's hard to evaluate answers A and B in this question, because we don't know enough about how the law will accomplish its objective, nor about driving behaviours in this location. If it's true in this place that everyone drives after drinking once in their lifetime only, then this law will only work if it has a deterrent effect -- revoking a person's license won't achieve anything if the person was never going to drive drunk again. If instead most people drive sober, and a few people drive drunk on a daily basis and cause accidents all the time, then revoking licenses will work by getting habitual accident-causers off the road. The argument is assuming the law will achieve one of those two objectives, but we can't easily tell which one, and answers resembling A and B could be right depending on how the law will work. Overall it's not a very precisely constructed question, so it's not easy to really say what answer is best, though I'd pick C if forced to choose.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Local authorities claim that following a recent re [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I should add one last point about answer C, to explain why it's not a great answer as written: suppose C was false. Then we'd know that right now, before this law is passed, most accidents are caused by people without a license. So it's those license-less drivers who are the problem -- they're apparently very bad drivers. It's not clear what a law about drinking will do to make those license-less drivers drive more safely. If we wanted to dramatically reduce accidents, we'd want to get those license-less drivers off the road, presumably.

What we really want to know about is how drivers will behave in the future: are the drivers who currently *do* have a license going to be willing to drive without one if they get caught under the new law? Answer C doesn't address that at all, but that's what we need answer C to address if it's going to be a necessary assumption.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts