Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [1]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [11]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.56
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Attaching an error log that I made on Google Spreadsheet. With me using different machines at different places (work, home etc.), I thought a Google Doc will help me keep track of all of it in one single place. So, here it is : https://bit.ly/ErrorLog

It's a Google Spreadsheet with View only permission. Please login with your Google accounts and select the option make a copy to have your own copy in Google Drive. The one that I am sharing is not editable.

Quick notes:

1. Use the "Quant Error Log" and "Verbal Error Log" sheets to enter quant and verbal error data. Since these are questions that you got wrong, your answer / OA doesn't make a lot of sense. However, if you think you should have it, feel free to add them.

2. Fields Topic, Difficulty, Reason for failure and Remarks are indexed. ie., if you want to add a new value to it other than what shows up in the combo box, add it in the appropriate column in the sheet "Master Table". I have indexed remarks because often we label questions with standard tags, such as stumped, too long, attempt retry etc. Having an indexed field for the same will make it handy for analytics / filters. For other remarks you can always use remarks 2.

3. Use the Quant insights and verbal insights sheets for quant and verbal dashboard. They show the following:
  • Top reasons for failure
  • Weak topics : Top topics on which you commit mistakes. Will help you understand where you must focus
  • Errors over days : Plots errors made day wise. This may not be an accurate metric if you don't practice uniform number of problems over time, but might help.
  • Errors by difficulty : Share of errors graded by question difficulty. May not be useful if you're adding questions from sources other than gmatclub here.
  • Errors by problem type : Whether you must focus on SC/CR/RC/PS/DS.

4. There is an optional accuracy sheet that you could use. This will require the aggregate of number of problems that you solved each day in quant and verbal. Given this input, and the error data that we already have, the sheet will graph you your daily accuracy rate in Quant and Verbal. Ideally, this should be a positive slope line :-)

You could go one level further and get question details by topic for correct answers as well. But then, I realized that once the task of entering data into error log becomes cumbersome, you stop using it. So, wanted to keep the data entry part as minimal as possible. Even the accuracy part is completely up to individual's preference. But personally, I feel happy realizing that I've solved this many problems today, at the end of the day so thought I might as well keep track of it.

Please try this and let me know your feedback, especially issues.

and yea, press kudos if you liked it! Thanks :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
Send PM
Hi bb,

I remember that you've mentioned in one of the error log posts(can't find out which one despite several keywords on google and GMATClub!) that you used a simple word document for these errors, printed a stack and revised this. I find it better to do so rather than using a digital version. Can you please share how you structured your doc error logs with us? It may benefit those who don't fancy using an excel and would rather refer to a bundle of notes.

Many thanks for this!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
Send PM
bb,

I remember that you've mentioned in one of the error log posts(can't find out which one despite several keywords on google and GMATClub!) that you used a simple word document for these errors, printed a stack and revised this. I find it better to do so rather than using a digital version. Can you please share how you structured your doc error logs with us? It may benefit those who don't fancy using an excel and would rather refer to a bundle of notes.

Thanks in advance.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
cathygeorge123 wrote:
bb,

Thanks in advance.

Yes, i just printed out the questions i got wrong and I would review them every week in a stack. I would review them and identify what error I made, why I made it, and in the quant case, knew how to solve a similar question. I was not solving the question every time - that would be silly as I knew the answers by heart but what I was reviewing was why I made the error, and how to spot it again (verbal) as well as how to solve similar question (logic/formual behind it) for quant. It was not a big stack - perhaps 20-30 sheets. I did not use every mistake I made - only the ones I would benefit from remembering/knowing/keeping fresh.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Does anyone knows how to add completed time in error log automatically in excel ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
bb Can we use the error log to record error in the GMAT club quizzes? I have noticed that my notes/error logs for questions in the forum are not in the same place as those for general forum questions.

ThankS!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 138
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Rotman '25
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos