Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good call and good advice [#permalink]
Microjohn,

Interesting points made there ....especially measuring how good you are at taking the GMAT test..thanks for taking the time out to reply.

I think that one of the problems it that on these websites you get an unfair representation of people who get high scores 65o+ bracket.

Therefore this leads you to thinking that everyone gets a 650 and it is easy to do so.

Just took powerprep 1 today and scored;

Quant: 41
Verbal: 29
Total 580

Last year on this test i remember scoring a 440 or something..so some progress i think..

I think that the Verbal section for this powerprep test is really hard and like you say have got no idea how non natives do it....is that me or did other people find the verbal section hard too??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am from the same situation. English is not my native language.

A good way to improve Verbal on GMAT is to read english news website (i.e. CNN.com). Reading an hour every day not only will improve your english but also is a fun experience. In the meantime, you have to keep working on problems and understand why you are making the mistakes that you are making.

You have to study your mistakes. Can't stress that enough. Making the same mistake twice is the most frustrating thing you can do!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
This site is undoubtadly skewed with high scores. That's a reflection that people that visit this site are interested in doing well on the GMAT and are willing to put forth the effort. I think it also shows that taking part in the verbal and quantitative discussions can result improved scores.

You should remember that the average GMAT score is about 500-520 (I think the target is for an average of 500, but it's usually a little higher than that). So, 1/2 the people that take the test score lower than 520 or so. On the other hand, you should also keep in mind that great majority of the people that get into the best business schools get 650+, and it is a true rarity for someone with below 600 to gain admission to a top school.

So, you need to decide what type of schools you are looking for, and then you can figure out what schore you need to get to be competitive. You said that 'a 620 is enough'; I don't know if you mean in an absolute sense, meaning if you get 620 you'll get into your target school, but I can say that if you are currently in the 500s without much prep, you should be able to get to 620 with the proper dedication and focused studying.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The skewness is logical.

If you have stricken a lottery, you'll let people know. If you have bought thousands times of lottery and stricken none, you keep silent. So are the GMAT takers.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another reason you are finding high scorers is almost everybody who scores 700+ reports his/her score here but people who unfortunately get lower score don't always report their score. So don't worry; not everybody here is getting 750 or so.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tnx for comments [#permalink]
Cheers guys/girls for those comments very useful.....think its also useful for people who are new to this site to understand those points too otherwise it could be directly responsible for a higher suicide rate around the world!!!

Maybe there should be a disclaimer or something???

Peilihu,

My biz experience should be good enough for me to prevail even with a lower GMTAT score.....(so the admission directors tell me!!) ...we shall see!!!

If it isnt then so be it..cest la vie..

For me and this test there is a real opportunity cost problem here...spending my time learning about Pythagoras, exponents, and awkward sentences (which lets be honest has no practical value whatsoever) or actually going out working and earning a salary....
(i have found that doing both at the same time is not a practical solution--but then thats just me)

My test scores are improving but obviously this takes time...will it all be worth it????? We shall see!!!

What are your thoughts people???
GMAT Club Bot
Tnx for comments [#permalink]