GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 11:11
lets hope that this makes a difference for the better ! cant wait to see new data and experiences about it

lets all unite to reach our target together

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Apr 2018, 11:23
Top Contributor
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Besides, the much more relevant issue is the number of counted questions per test. My best guess is 12 RC (4 passages), 10 SC, 8 CR, 15 PS and 13 DS.
wildhorn wrote:
Do you think the number of counted questions has changed from the previous test? For example do you think the GMAC used to count 12 SC versus 10 SC? Or do you think that is static
Hi wildhorn,

Since the number of RCs on the GMAT now exceeds the number of SCs, I think it's a reasonable assumption that the balance of counted questions on Verbal has shifted somewhat, whereas on Quant it has stayed the same. Of course there is no way to know for sure, because the old GMAT Verbal section had a whopping 11 experimentals, as opposed to only 6 on the updated exam.

Edit to your previously quoted text: I meant 13 DS (also edited in original post).

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 22 Apr 2018, 11:17.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 22 Apr 2018, 11:23, edited 9 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 11:19
akshhayleekha wrote:
4 RCs,less of CRs..quant was not difficult I'd say,though verbal was.

Posted from my mobile device

Did you notice a more difficult SC part of overall in the verbal it seemed harder?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 12:31
Hi!
What exams do you recommend to take before the GMAT?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 12:54
Just gave a Manhattan CAT with the new shorter version.
Q45 (Manhattan quant is so tough, oh man! But really good for practice.)
V45 (not pumped to see this score as I had seen few CR questions before on this forum).

For pacing issues, I think fewer CR questions should compensate for more RC questions. I finished Verbal with 1 minute to go.

Verbal breakdown was 12 RC (4 passages), 14 SC and 10 CR. I believe RC and SC would vary between 12-14. Can't wait for the new GMAT prep exam roll-out next week. Good luck to all test takers next week.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 16:07
RCF wrote:
Hi!
What exams do you recommend to take before the GMAT?
Thanks!

what do you mean by exams ? CAT tests ? check Manhattan prep and Veritas free CATS

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 02:16
Hi bb, souvik101990,

What about the exam packs that people had bought before the announcement of this change: will they be given free upgrade by GMAC? Is there any relevant communication?

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 04:51
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi bb, souvik101990,

What about the exam packs that people had bought before the announcement of this change: will they be given free upgrade by GMAC? Is there any relevant communication?

Regards
The exam packs are just databases of questions, so I don't think anything special will be needed there. I guess we'll find out very soon though.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 06:01
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi bb, souvik101990,

Regards
The exam packs are just databases of questions, so I don't think anything special will be needed there. I guess we'll find out very soon though.

Yes, but the practise matters. Let's see how GMAC handles the situation.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 06:29
bb wrote:
So.... is the gmat prep is also getting updated for this new format? Anyone downloaded the new version yet? Is it even available?

Quote:
GMAT Official Practice Exams reflecting the shortened Quantitative and Verbal section lengths will be released no later than April 30, 2018. Additional details and FAQs for the same will be provided prior to the release.

It seems very sudden this change. Not that I want more questions but still, would make sense to know in advance.

Also, what about the number of RCs - we get only 3 now? We don't know really and won't know until the new GMAT prep is out...

Posted from my mobile device

Updated GMATPrep Tests will be available on 27th April. Please check official gmatprep page on mba . com store.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 18:21
Does anyone know how the gmat score table will look with this change?
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 18:38
gmatexam439 wrote:
Yes, but the practise matters. Let's see how GMAC handles the situation.
I meant that the actual practice test is delivered by the GMATPrep software itself. The exam packs just provide additional databases which the GMATPrep can use. However, when the platform itself changes, you can get new codes if you ask for them. More details here.

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 18:49
memyselfi wrote:
Does anyone know how the gmat score table will look with this change?
The percentile tables will not change at all for the next 2 months. After that, the percentiles will be updated on the basis of the performance of test takers over the last 3 years. This 36 month period includes only 2.5 months of the new format, so even if the new format makes the exam easier/tougher, that impact will not show up in the percentile tables. It'll be at least another 14 months before we see percentile tables based on a significant number of "new" tests. That said, I don't think you should expect any major changes. I do think, though, that we could see another fall in quant percentiles :-)

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 07:06
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 17:13
I know there are no definitive answers but can anyone shed some light on the 4 RC passages on the updated exam?

Regarding reduced experimental questions, would you surmise that 1 out of the 4 RC passages (including all 3-5 questions pertaining to it) are experimental? (With the other 3 RC passages and all associated questions counting toward your score?)

Or does GMAT try out one experimental question in each or some of the 4 RC Passage/question sets???

Thanks for the insight.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 22:56
Top Contributor
coolo wrote:
I know there are no definitive answers but can anyone shed some light on the 4 RC passages on the updated exam?

Regarding reduced experimental questions, would you surmise that 1 out of the 4 RC passages (including all 3-5 questions pertaining to it) are experimental? (With the other 3 RC passages and all associated questions counting toward your score?)

Or does GMAT try out one experimental question in each or some of the 4 RC Passage/question sets???

Thanks for the insight.

Hi coolo,

There is no way to know for sure, since the GMAC will never divulge that information, but I would guess that 2 or 3 of the 4 Reading Comprehension (RC) passages have one question that is unscored/pretest/experimental--in other words, the experimental questions are most likely spread out evenly. To put them all in one passage would unfairly benefit someone who happened to guess his/her way through that particular passage.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 23:32
coolo wrote:

Thanks for the insight.

It depends on the question bank. A RC passage could contain up to 3 or 4 experimental questions. The problem is that test takers don't know which one is experimental. Thus, this information doesn't bring any benefit at all.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 00:27
Any debriefs available now for the shorter version of the exams?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 00:43
amitpandey25 wrote:
Any debriefs available now for the shorter version of the exams?

Check souvik101990 's debrief here : 5 things i learned while taking the new GMAT

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 10:04
GMATPill wrote:
FYI the GMAT Pill free online GMAT CAT test has been updated to reflect the shorter GMAT exam:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

Hello, please help me. I am considering retake the gmat b/c of my low score 600 (Q50, V21, IR8, AWA 5.5)
However, gmat now changes the time.
1/ Are you positive on the news?
2/ Does the GMAT change anything else besides the time and numbers of questions?
3/ what is the new strategy now? Any thoughts from bb, or the Vietnamese mod?

Thank you.
Sincerely
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter &nbs [#permalink] 25 Apr 2018, 10:04

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  22    Next  [ 435 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap