GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 22:06

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 158121 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 188102 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 21:56.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 22:06, edited 25 times in total.
Updated with debrief links
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 06:08
I can share my experience. I took the new shorter version of the test last week. Result: 740 (Q48, V44).

Here is what I feel:

Verbal:
I felt the verbal was the same level as before. (This was my second attempt, and previous attempt was with the longer version). There were 4 RC passages and only one of them was excessively long. The RC questions were not any different in their difficulty level than the previous test or the GMAT Prep tests.

Quant:
I felt Quant was harder. Most of my preparation time for this attempt was spent on Quant and I was consistently scoring a Q50 in my GMAT Prep practice tests. On the actual test, I can’t recall one question in Quant that wasn’t wordy and confusing. I also had 2-3 combination/probability questions.

I am happy to answer more questions. Hope this helps someone!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 07:29
abstruze wrote:
I can share my experience. I took the new shorter version of the test last week. Result: 740 (Q48, V44).

Here is what I feel:

Verbal:
I felt the verbal was the same level as before. (This was my second attempt, and previous attempt was with the longer version). There were 4 RC passages and only one of them was excessively long. The RC questions were not any different in their difficulty level than the previous test or the GMAT Prep tests.

Quant:
I felt Quant was harder. Most of my preparation time for this attempt was spent on Quant and I was consistently scoring a Q50 in my GMAT Prep practice tests. On the actual test, I can’t recall one question in Quant that wasn’t wordy and confusing. I also had 2-3 combination/probability questions.

Congratulations !! Could you please tell me what mocks you leaned on ? I mean apart from GMAC'S products ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 07:58
abstruze wrote:

Here is what I feel:

Verbal:

Quant:

Could you explain how much time you planned for the first 10 questions in Q and V? or your overall timing strategy?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 09:18
VijayDinanathChauhan wrote:
abstruze wrote:

Here is what I feel:

Verbal:

Quant:

Congratulations !! Could you please tell me what mocks you leaned on ? I mean apart from GMAC'S products ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Only the GMAT Prep tests and I used all 6 of them.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 10:09
PAcmania wrote:
abstruze wrote:

Here is what I feel:

Verbal:

Quant:

Could you explain how much time you planned for the first 10 questions in Q and V? or your overall timing strategy?

Frankly, the reason I did not score a 760+ (despite consistently scoring in that range in my GMAT Prep tests) is that I did not have a smart timing strategy to rely on under pressure. I tried to be mindful of the time by glancing at the time remaining every now and then. This was a horrible idea. And, in hindsight, I really should've had a better timing strategy. I never utilized a timing strategy during my practice tests either, but I think I felt stressed about time a LOT more intensely in the actual test as opposed to in the practice tests (it probably had to do with the realization that it was the ACTUAL test).

I looked at my ESR and realized the following:
For Verbal, in the first set I spent an average of 2:43 minutes on each incorrect answer, in the second set I spend an average of 3:41 minutes on each incorrect answer, in the third set I spent an average of 1:43 minutes on each incorrect answer and in the final set of questions I spent only 1:31 minute on each incorrect answer. If I had planned my timing better, I wouldn't be rushed to select answers in the final section of questions.
For Quant, I spent an average of 2:43 minutes on each incorrect answer in the third set and I could only manage spending an average of 50 seconds on each incorrect answer in the final set. I rushed through the last two sets of questions in Quant and I performed poorly in those sections.

What I am trying to say is that I am probably the worst person to advice you on timing strategy. There are several great posts here about managing time on the GMAT. I also really like Manhattan's time management strategy (updated for the new shorter version): https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... nt-part-3/ and would likely utilize it if I decide on a retake.

Sorry, I couldn't be of much help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 00:19
Just encountered a problem with Exam 6 of GMAT Prep on Google Chrome.

- I clicked on "Next" to begin my first section (quant) and then the next screen wouldn't load.
- After refreshing the page I was taken to the home page and then tried to take the exam again.
- I encountered an error that said "Unable to load questions. Cannot read property 'SectionNumber' of undefined".
- After pressing "Ok" another error came up saying "Unable to initialize the test". Screenshots of both errors are attached.
- Pressing Ok again takes me back to the home page.

Has anyone had the same issue?
Attachments

Unable to initialize the test.png
Unable to initialize the test.png [ 16.22 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

Unable to load questions.png
Unable to load questions.png [ 21.58 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 06:50
Hello all,
Are the questions new(New set of questions) in the GMAT PREP Tests Exam 3,4,5 & 6(available online)? I wrote the 1st free GMAT PREP Test today and most of the questions were repeated from last GMAT PREP software. So I had to cancel my test in between, because I was knowing many answers. I've my test on June 10th. Experts please reply ASAP. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Good things are going to happen. Keep fighting for what you want. Don't worry and have faith that it'll all work out!

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 06:53
chandra004 wrote:
Hello all,
Are the questions new(New set of questions) in the GMAT PREP Tests Exam 3,4,5 & 6(available online)? I wrote the 1st free GMAT PREP Test today and most of the questions were repeated from last GMAT PREP software. So I had to cancel my test in between, because I was knowing many answers. I've my test on June 10th. Experts please reply ASAP. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey chandra004 ,

I believe the answer is NO. GMAC has changed the test format from system application to online version but they haven't changed the Question pool. So, you will see all the same questions which you used to see earlier.

I hope that helps!

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 07:04
chandra004 wrote:
Hello all,
abhimahna is correct: there is no change at all in the question pools, and there is no way to transfer your "history" over to the new platform.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 07:55
So, is it better to take GMAT PREP Tests for practice or MGMAT CATs(I heard it's of good quality)? Keeping this fact in mind that I knew answers to some questions that came in Free GMAT PREP Test 1.
AjiteshArun abhimahna

Good things are going to happen. Keep fighting for what you want. Don't worry and have faith that it'll all work out!

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 08:00
chandra004 wrote:
So, is it better to take GMAT PREP Tests for practice or MGMAT CATs(I heard it's of good quality)? Keeping this fact in mind that I knew answers to some questions that came in Free GMAT PREP Test 1.
AjiteshArun abhimahna

Hey chandra004 ,

If you have already taken all the GMAT Preps before, you can go for MGMATs. But if you haven't taken GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 or 2 before, you won’t find questions from Free preps in Exam Packs.

I hope that helps. :)

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 09:48
Thank you so much for the suggestion abhimahna

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 11:44
I'll be curious to see if this makes the exam easier or harder. I guess we'll see!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 09:05
Is anyone else having problems accessing the online prep software right now?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 04:54
Yes, me.
Page is just loading. no error no nothing.
just loading.... (like my brain during a 700 quant question)
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 10:11
Top Contributor
PAcmania wrote:
Yes, me.
Page is just loading. no error no nothing.
just loading.... (like my brain during a 700 quant question)

Ha! We've all been there.

A radical suggestion: use the old desktop version of GMAT prep until the new one works out the bugs. Who cares that the sections are a bit longer? At least it works!

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 17:49
hazelnut wrote:

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

The GMAT Prep site for the online tests seems to be down .. is any one else facing this issue/is there an alternate link or fix?

link- gmatofficialprep<dot>mba<dot>com<fwdslash>SarasExamPrep#<fwdslash>home
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:09
Are you guys able to login? I am unable to login!

Is the website still down?

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:11
pikolo2510 wrote:

Hey pikolo2510 ,

I just tried and it is working fine. Clear your cache and try again. :-)

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:19
abhimahna wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

Hey pikolo2510 ,

I just tried and it is working fine. Clear your cache and try again. :-)

hey abhimahna

I am talking about this link

https://gmatofficialprep.mba.com/SarasExamPrep#/login

Are you able to login successfully? Forgot Password also doesn't work. I land back on the same page

Tried the above after clearing history,cache and in Incognito mode.

Doesn't work. Really annoying from GMAC!!!

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2018, 00:19

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21    Next  [ 418 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap