GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Apr 2020, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 May 2019, 20:13

GMAT Test is changing on April 16, 2018 - it will be shortened by 30 minutes

• Number of questions on the test will be reduced:
    • The number of Quant questions will be reduced by 6: from 37 to 31
    • The number of Verbal questions will be reduced by 5: from 41 to 36

Update: distribution of questions in GMAT Prep will be:
    (thanks AjiteshArun for sharing this)

(a) RC: 13-14 (4 passages)
    (b) SC: 12-13
    (c) CR: 9-10
    (d) PS: 17-18
    (e) DS: 13-14

GMAC is being careful not to say that this is the distribution for the GMAT itself as exam requirements could change over time (that is, the distribution of experimental questions can change).

!
    April 30th Update:
    GMAT Prep Downloadable Software is NOT being updated to the latest format. Instead, it is being discontinued
    EP1, EP2, and QP1 are not being updated to the latest format. Instead, GMAC is exchange them for online licenses through May 11th

List of Tests that have been updated for the new format:

1. Veritas Prep CAT's - as of April 12th - You get 1 free CAT; 7 total
    2. GMAT Club CAT's - as of April 13th - You get 1 free CAT; 20+ total
    3. MGMAT CAT's - as of April 16th - You get 1 free CAT; 6 total

• This includes a 23-minute reduction in the exam sections, as well as 7 minute reduction across several non-exam screens at the test center (e.g. Tutorial, Section Instructions).
  • The time per question will be approximately the same. While GMAC says it will remain unchanged, we have calculated it to be 1.62 seconds shorter for quant and 1.42 seconds shorter for verbal:

Quant
    earlier 75x60/37 = 121.62
    now 62x60/31 = 120 seconds

Verbal
    earlier 75/41 = 109.75 seconds
    now 65x60/36 = 108.33 seconds

so 1.42 seconds less per question in verbal
  • The reduction in questions comes from reduction of experimental questions.
  • No Changes to IR or AWA section
  • There are some changes to the on-screen instructions that further reduce time used for the test
  • Reschedule exception for 1 week: If you already have scheduled your tests, you can reschedule an appointment but only if it is before May 6th. You have to do it by April 11th. Not sure why limitations but I guess better than nothing
  • GMAT Prep software should be released by April 30th (along with updated Exam Packs)
  • More FAQ's are here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

The Big Unknowns:

• Date of GMAT Prep release - sounds like it is only by April 30th, but hopefully sooner so we can practice
  • Question structure of the RC's. We don't know if we will be losing one passage, or if passages will have fewer questions.

Attachments

M02.jpg
M02.jpg [ 141.46 KiB | Viewed 185115 times ]

GMAT E.jpg
GMAT E.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 215087 times ]

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Originally posted by hazelnut on 02 Apr 2018, 20:56.
Last edited by bb on 22 May 2019, 20:13, edited 27 times in total.
Updated.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 13:21
4 RCs,less of CRs..quant was not difficult I'd say,though verbal was.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 21:08
Just in: Confirmed that the two (SC and CR) had been mixed up. Some other changes:

RC: 13-14
SC: 12-13
CR: 9-10
PS: 17-18
DS: 13-14
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 07:45
Got done with the test a few hours back. Scored a 750 (Q50 V41). It felt really similar to my last test. I am naturally good at SCs and I take more time than I should for RCs, so a few large (really large with contrived questions) threw me off. More details in a few hours.

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 07:58
mcelroytutoring wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
mcelroytutoring - Yes. I did get done a few hours back and scored a 750. Happy to take questions. I will write a more detailed debrief after dinner - maybe in the Share GMAT Experience Forum! Of course, happy to take questions meanwhile.

souvik101990 Congrats on the 750!
1) What was the breakdown of question types in Verbal? Can you confirm 4 RC passages?
2) What was the breakdown of question types in Quant?

Thanks,
Brian

Yes, definitely 4 RC passages. In fact RC seemed to dominate the verbal section decisively. If I am not totally incorrect, I probably had 16 questions in RC, and one passage had 5 questions which really threw me off. It was a heavy passage. SC and CR were spaced out evenly.

For quant my first half was largely PS, but DS increased in my second half of the test. I would say about 45% DS and 55% PS. (probably 17-14)
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 22:09
Latest announcement from the GMAC -

There’s an even better reason to take the GMAT® exam. Starting on April 16, the GMAT® exam will be a half hour shorter, saving you valuable time.

The time savings will mostly be on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. We’ve streamlined these sections to be less time and have fewer questions. We also removed some of the tutorial screens from the beginning.

The exam content and the time you have per question won’t change. The exam will be scored the same, and it’s still a proven indicator of your ability to succeed in business school. It is the same GMAT exam with the same quality you expect – just shorter by a half hour.

We shortened the exam to give you a better test-taking experience. To give you the most realistic preparation experience, we have updated the GMAT Official Practice Exams to reflect the pacing of the shorter test. We want you to be confident and fully prepared to do your best on test day.

There are many reasons to take the GMAT exam. For one, it’s the most widely used exam for graduate business school admissions. Now add another reason – it’s a half hour shorter. If you’re serious about business school, take the exam that puts your most relevant skills in the spotlight and get 30 minutes back in your day. This change will go into effect on April 16, 2018 at 12:01am local time. All exams appointments scheduled for April 16 or later will include these changes at the test center.

Check out the Official link.. and the Link... to the New format.

B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Apr 2018, 11:14
4 Rc’s, less Cr (in total - verbal was more difficult - down from 44-41 in gmatprep to 37. SC was almost entirely about meaning), quant was also more difficult (from q50-49 in gmatprep to q45) and IR was also very difficult (they even changed the calculator there - it is now much more massive.
I wont be worrying since i might just got a harder than usual test (its not my first attempt and not even my second attempt , so i know what it supposed to be like).
But i would take a prep test (even mpre than once) for time management. It can be a quiet unpleasant experience to try figuring out if you are ok with timing during your test, which is different than usual.

Originally posted by omavsp on 16 Apr 2018, 21:19.
Last edited by omavsp on 17 Apr 2018, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 06:06
Current Student
S
Schools: Oxford"20 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 07:42
wildhorn wrote:

So does this imply for verbal that it could be perceived as easier or harder depending on your strengths within the verbal section? For example, if SC was your weakest link and you were more comfortable with RC and CR, then it would seem that verbal could possibly seem “easier”. And vice versa.

For what it's worth, I shouted with joy when I read there may be less SC and more RC. I'm a native speaker that unfortunately relies on colloquialisms too much. RC and CR are far easier for me. Changes in verbal seems like it would change person to person.

I can't wait to take this test again...the anticipation is killing me...
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 07:51
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 11:08
Thanks a lot GMATCLUB especially Brian and Souvik..
Now the most accepted split is as follows:
RC (4 Passages) = 14Q (13-14 window moves rightward as Souvik mentioned 16 RC!)
SC = 12Q
CR = 10Q (Souvik said even split SC-CR, still lets say CR 10)
Now this is probably the combination that is most time consuming (due to lesser SC and more RC). So our prep must focus on this part. Also GMAT must be trying to woo more non-natives and GRE-mid way preparation dudes to shift towards taking GMAT than GRE. GRE verbal mostly contains of RC (50%+ questions!!). 'Presumably' RC doesn't need too much of preparation compared to SC - a factor that matters a lot to busy executives (especially since Executive Assessment of GMAC has tanked to attract much business). This is a wise move by GMAC from their strategic point of view.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 11:31
I took it today as well (for the first time) and I thought quant went fine overall. However, I’ve always struggled more with Verbal so I think the timing with still 4 RC threw me off. I also personally thought SC was harder than usual, but CR wasn’t that bad. I ended up scoring a 650 (Q48, V31), when I usually score V34-36.

Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 22:38
This is great news. Fewer questions on both verbal and quant :D

Good luck to new test takers. Attaching pic for new pattern. No changes to IR and AWA
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 140.9 KiB | Viewed 112728 times ]

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 01:30
pikolo2510 wrote:
Eager to see the # of RCs in the new pattern. I believe we will have only 3 RCs in the new pattern. (Fingers crossed)

I don't think GMAC will reduce the number of passages in each test to 3. I think there are still 4 passages with 3 questions each.
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 08:45
Top Contributor
dcamp0308 wrote:
This is semi frustrating to hear.

On one hand a shorter test means it's less of a marathon than it was before, but I am nervous that a shorter question set means there's less margin for error when it comes to scoring. Additionally, I plan to take the exam early in May... With this change coming so sudden, I may push that back to give me more time to adjust to the change.

I don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I know GMAC has probably thought through this in detail, but taking the exam so close to the big change makes me feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

Hi dcamp0308,

To alleviate one of your concerns: there should be the exact same "margin for error" as before, because the number of counted/scored questions has not decreased.

In my opinion, the test-takers who most deserve to be frustrated are those who are scheduled to take the GMAT before April 16th, and those who took the exam recently! However, at least GMAC is offering to waive the reschedule fee, as was done when the "Select Section Order" feature was implemented in July of 2017.

Source: https://www.mba.com/us/frequently-asked-questions/shorter-gmat-exam.aspx

-Brian
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Apr 2018, 17:08
Top Contributor
Of course there's always the possibility (as others have already mentioned) that GMAC made a mistake in this webinar, and mixed up its figures for Critical Reasoning and Sentence Correction--otherwise the Verbal section has changed significantly in its overall composition--namely, the frequency/proportion of each question type (CR, SC, RC). For now, the question remains: has Sentence Correction truly gone from the most common question type on Verbal, to the least common question type, or was that just a type-O? ;)

Timing issues would also have to be addressed, as most GMAT test-takers take far longer per CR question than per SC question. I know that I certainly do! Usually I take about 2 min per CR, 1.5 min per RC, and 1 min per SC. I'm excited to see the format changes in the ESR format as well--according to GMAC, these changes should apply to older ESRs as well, if you choose to re-download them.

GMAC has assured us (or at least implied--see below) that the GMAT itself and its balance of questions has not changed, so this appears to be conflicting information. If the balance/distribution of question categories on Verbal really did change so drastically, then you would think that the GMAC would at least share this news with us, despite its reputation for obfuscation.

source: GMAC website

For comparison's sake, here is the current proportion of question types on the Verbal section of GMATPrep: 17 SC, 13 RC, 11 CR. If SC has truly gone from the most common question type to the least common question type, then this is a fact that test-takers deserve to know before the new exam debuts on April 16th.

Then again, I love teaching the Critical Reasoning sub-section/question type, so I am OK with that news if it does turn out to be true. SC grammar (and the rote memorization entailed) can be mastered easily, but it gets a bit dull and unchallenging over time. On the other hand, there are so many logical layers to most CR questions--and at the most difficult level, they can be VERY challenging.

Of course, sometimes "very challenging" just means "poorly written," but I digress. I'm officially signing off on this issue for a while until we start to get some official test-taker information in about a week: until then it's mostly conjecture anyway.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 08 Apr 2018, 06:56.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 10 Apr 2018, 17:08, edited 10 times in total.
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 19:40
bb wrote:
I have not seen a US webinar not have I received an invitation to it. I also have not seen announcements from MGMAT or Kaplan or Veritas Prep about the test structure which makes me believe there was not one yet for the US. Which is weird. (Of course i may not have been invited to one... you know invitation lost in the mail ;-))

So the best info we have is what was shared in the webinar that Arjesh Arun attended.
Now that the weekend is (almost) over, I think we can expect more information from the GMAC.

They were answering all the other questions, but I had to ask about the number of SC questions four times to get a response, or even an acknowledgement that such a question had been raised. Oddly enough, only one other instructor seemed to be concerned about this (no one else was asking).

Here is actual slide that they shared:
Attachment:
2018-04-06.jpg
2018-04-06.jpg [ 75.56 KiB | Viewed 4051 times ]

I'll repeat a few points that I think might have been lost in all the conversation:

1. This is the distribution of questions in the GMATPrep, not the actual GMAT. Depending on what they need from a question development perspective, the distribution could change as a result of the distribution of experimental questions.

2. They were just relaying information the psychometrics team had sent them. They said they'd confirm that data and get back to us.

3. At the beginning, they had said that they'd tried to keep the "proportion" (not the word they used) roughly the same, which leads to me believe that they could have mixed up SC and CR.

4. This was a GMAC webinar, not a GMAC India webinar :-)
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 21:19
Haha... looks like everyone was out on the weekend. Now that they're back:
Attachment:
2018-04-09.jpg
2018-04-09.jpg [ 90.78 KiB | Viewed 3684 times ]

B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 05:10
Manhattan GMAT Cat's are now updated.
I had an amazing experience with the shorter version of the test.

1. I was able to focus more.(This is so true)
2.Test flew, I swear.
3.I gave attention to first 10 question :) Took me around 28 minutes for verbal and around 27 for Quant.

Ended up with 710 highest ever. I was scoring close to 640-660 in my last 3 MCAT's :) :)
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 15:19
Top Contributor
souvik101990 wrote:
Yes, definitely 4 RC passages. In fact RC seemed to dominate the verbal section decisively. If I am not totally incorrect, I probably had 16 questions in RC, and one passage had 5 questions which really threw me off. It was a heavy passage. SC and CR were spaced out evenly.

For quant my first half was largely PS, but DS increased in my second half of the test. I would say about 45% DS and 55% PS. (probably 17-14)

Awesome! Thanks again for the information. It appears to confirm what we have already been told about the upcoming GMATPrep practice exams from the upcoming, updated GMATPrep software (see charts from earlier in this thread)--even though GMAC officially refuses to commit to any fixed number of question types per GMAT, given that the experimental questions might be drawn from any question type.

OK, I'll stop pestering you for test data now! Go eat some dinner, get some rest, and give us all the details in a G-Day debrief whenever you're ready. Seriously though, thanks for your contribution...I know that there are a lot of anxious test-takers with upcoming test dates who are scouring these posts for information about the new exam, and I'm sure that they appreciate it too. :-)

Also, a quick reminder, since some readers seem to be misinterpreting the shorter GMAT as having fewer scored questions: the new GMAT has exactly the same number of scored/counted questions: 30 on Verbal, 28 on Quant, and 9 on IR. The only questions that were removed (5 on Verbal and 6 on Quant) were experimental, unscored questions.

-Brian

p.s. If you were indeed served a whopping 16 RC questions out of the 36 total questions on Verbal--almost half the section--then I would guess that you had 4 experimentals on RC, 0 on CR and on 2 SC. That would mean that you had 12 counted questions on RC, 10 counted questions on SC, and 8 counted questions on CR, which has a nice symmetry to it and reflects the relative balance of question types on the new Verbal sections of the upcoming, updated GMATPrep tests.

The GMAC will never admit this, but 12RC / 10 SC / 8 CR seems like a likely split for the counted questions on the Verbal section of the real GMAT. Likewise, there are probably about 15 counted PS and 13 counted DS on Quant, meaning that you were most likely served 2 PS experimentals and 1 DS experimental.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 08:22.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Apr 2018, 15:19, edited 15 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 08:22

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12    Next  [ 230 posts ] 

GMAT FORMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep