GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q35 V30
GMAT 3: 610 Q33 V40
GMAT 4: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:34
Hi all,

I'm trying to keep this as succinct and entertaining as possible, but quite a few things happened with many setbacks. However, given how many hours I spent on this forum without a single post, I feel it is very much time to change it.

Quick info about me:
- German, 3 years older than the typical MBA student
- Computer science bachelor at a very unknown German uni, management engineering master at a highly regarded Italian technical Uni
- 2 years Big 4 advisory (after bachelor) and currently boutique management consulting with industry focus

It started in August 2018 when my MBA plans took shape. I still wasn't sure whether or not it represents the right next step and there was this big question mark GMAT. Further, I just finished my post grad studies and started to work in an entire industry. Anyhow, this is about the GMAT.

I checked the forum reviews and decided to focus on quant as I considered this to be my biggest weakness. I decided to go with math revolution as it received very good feedbacks and it wasnt too crazy expensive (I won't get into too much details with all the courses I took since I plan to write reviews for all of them).

Plan was to study 3 weeks full time and then 2-3 weekends before taking the test. Long story short, I finished the math basics after 1 1/2 weeks and realized how much additional effort it actually is. GMAT got postponed to the next year.

1. Attempt - May
My first mistake was that I didnt continue after my 3 weeks study in August but I decided to pick it up in Feb/March. Busy with work I started in April which left me 1 month to study. Again, I took 3 weeks and studied the Math revolution materials + I subscribed to e-gmats verbal part. I took my first mock test after week 1 and scored 580. What a bummer, reading through this forum, it seemed clear to me that a 700 is the score to target and I was quite a bit away from it. I continued and finished the entire course 2-3 days before test day. I took the second free mock test, 480!!! Not exactly the score you want 2 days before your scheduled test. I decided to take the test anyways just for the matter of experience. I scored surprisingly high in quant with a Q45 but scored low in verbal, resulting in a 590 score.

2nd Attempt - August
I figured I have reached a great understanding of the quant concepts but need to polish my verbal skills. I purchased the empowerGMAT course and took another 2 1/2 weeks off. I started studying some weeks before my vacation with an hour in the morning and half sat & sun. I'm in consulting and I regular work crazy hours which is why I did not feel I could invest more time next to work. Focus was on verbal but I invested roughly 1/3 in quant too to ensure I reach my previous level. Next setback, 550, my sub scores were even lower than before I started studying in both categories. However, I know that score was below my capabilities and it didnt help that I got sick before test day as well as did not sleep well the night before which certainly impacted my score as well. In addition, there was still time, applications just have opened and I realized I will still be able to apply in R1 at most schools when I retake the GMAT in September.

3rd Attempt - September
Time to chance my approach. I have some friends at MBB, so I asked them how are they going to prepare. My new approach did not include online courses, but I purchased the online question bank + quant review. Further I purchased the veritas tests and official test 3 & 4 from MBA.com. Again, I took 2 1/2 weeks off and I just continued studying. This time even harder, 1hr each morning and I dedicated my entire weekends to it. No social life, only work and study. It was also during that time I realised the true power of this forum and I was using it more regularly in my studies (I'll talk about it below). One issue remained, my scores in the tests did not improve. I never came close to the Q45 I scored in April, while Verbal was acceptable and varied between 34-36. With only 2 days before test day, I decided it would be best to postpone to November and apply to R2. I continued with my huge study effort, no social life no nothing, only GMAT and work.
I took the official tests and my score improved, I came closer to Q40 and I realized my Verbal skills have reached a decent level. In test 3 & 4, each time verbal was above 40 (also showing that in terms of quality of the verbal questions, none of the inofficial test reaches GMAC level). But quant remained an issue and veritas brutally showed me how low my quant skills actually are. I reduced my target score to 650. Given that I did not consider US programs + the fact that I'm European and my CV is actually quite strong I saw my threshold to reach around the 70. quartile overall. Test day came, I finish my AWA and what do I see on my screen: 610. F*#ck, I scored a 40 in verbal but somehow managed to get a 33 in quant. Even in my first mock I scored a 35. WTF. Despite being below my threshold, since my verbal and IR score were very high, I decided to accept the score.

A heavy party weekend followed after months without a social life. In the following week I made the decision to continue. I knew I can do better (I've already have proven it before) and I had already invested so much into this (not only effort, but also money), I wanted to risk it another time.

4th Attempt - January
By now, I knew how the test works. I pretty much knew my strengths and weaknesses and I decided to punctually work on my quant skills while regularly answering some SC questions to keep my verbal understanding focused. Again I took 3 weeks off, I purchased the remaining two official tests and I started using target test prep (spoiler: hands down, that's the course that changed everything). I retook test 3 & 4 and achieved inflated super high scores (740 and 750). At the same time I roughly answered 100-200 questions on the TTP course per day. In official test #5 I scored a 650. Finally, my quant improved with a q44. That gave me confidence, two days before test day I did test #6, again 650, again q44. I invested a bit more on verbal the remaining 2 days since in both tests it was a "only" 36. Test day came, again I finished AWA and there it was the next button. NEXT and with pleasure I saw a sweet 680 on the screen, 82. quartile. That's the score I need.

Final remarks
I have some lessons learned to share, first of all, never give up. This period was very rough for me. Studying for the GMAT can be very exhaustive, physically but especially mentally. I questioned myself, my intellect and career ambitions. I am sure many of those who read this have been through the same (or going through it right now) and I can only say, don't let the gmat impact you that much. This is especially true when you see how many in this forum complain about a low 700 score. But we sometimes forget to understand how great a 500 or a 600 already is. In addition, there are so many factors that play a role, incl. luck, the education you experienced before, situation of the moon and what else. However, a good preparation increases your chances of success, so here are my key factors that helped me.

1. Leverage this forum
Seriously, this forum is awesome. Be it the experts or the community. I made the biggest jumps through these measures:
- QUANT: Whenever I got stick on a certain type of question, I looked it up on the forum. there is a good chance Bunuel has not only given an answer, but posted several similar questions to practice. Sooo valuable, and if not, use the practice bank and search for the type of questions to get this weakness out of the way. Further, after some time you realise who are the expert that explain in a way you can understand. In my case and for quant it was Scott from TTP, his explanations were always clear and written in a way that you don't need a doctor in math to understand it.
- VERBAL: GMATNinja, you are my true hero. Improvements in verbal are often more difficult and I really struggled to understand most of the other experts' or users' explanations. There were grammar rules used that I have never heard of and "clearly" wrong errors were not so clear to me. Charles teaching style is not only genius but fun. The online videos (you can find them on youtube as well) are pure gold and I'm confident to say just by watching the videos my score improved by 2-5 points.

2. Find the type of support you need
I took several courses, all of them are highly rated here and I am certain they are all worth the money. In the end, only test target prep worked for me. How can someone figure out what is the best course for him/her? As described above, after using this forum for some time I had a list of experts that I found really helpful. This can be a good proxy for their course materials and for instance, if you read one of the answers from the e-gmat experts and you say "wow that makes so much sense, I got it", then perhaps this is the course for you. Further, take tests every now and then to see whether you are improving but keep the official ones for the end.

3. Be positive
I figured, I scored so high in Verbal because I knew I was good in it and on the other side, I scored low in quant because I knew about my weakness in quant which reduced my confidence heavily. In my last test, I knew that I have improved in quant and that I am able to reach a higher score. If you really believe it you will answer the questions way more confidently and quicker.

Lastly, keep it up guys. Great forum, great community. I keep you guys posted about my MBA adventure.

Originally posted by Pumaman5 on 17 Jan 2020, 10:56.
Last edited by Pumaman5 on 18 Jan 2020, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2020, 14:30
Pumaman5

What an inspiring debrief to share in your very first post.
Most of us here start on our journey by asking a query about study strategy or feedback on x,y course,
and it was amazing to see yours end on an amazing positive note.

Could you throw light on few more pointers:
  • Did your job involve fair amount of commute? If so, how did you utilize time efficiently in those periods?
  • How did you balance 100 quant qs / SC in a day?? Any particular plan / strategy (e..g using Analytics tab
    from online courses that you took) to move from say one sub-section (modifiers in SC to word problems in quant)
  • Finally, a close call to take last two fresh official prep in closing weeks of retake, huh? What one take away would you share as a learning from such perseverance that would help fellow members on this forum?

Looking forward to see sooner your admit story too. . .. :thumbup:

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 08:56
Thanks for your kind words, great questions, see my answers below:

adkikani wrote:
Pumaman5
Could you throw light on few more pointers:
  • Did your job involve fair amount of commute? If so, how did you utilize time efficiently in those periods?
  • How did you balance 100 quant qs / SC in a day?? Any particular plan / strategy (e..g using Analytics tab
    from online courses that you took) to move from say one sub-section (modifiers in SC to word problems in quant)
  • Finally, a close call to take last two fresh official prep in closing weeks of retake, huh? What one take away would you share as a learning from such perseverance that would help fellow members on this forum?

1. My daily commute is around 30 min (round-trip) and often I use my bike. If you mean travel to the client, no, I dont travel that much (perhaps 1-2x per month). Given that my job requires that much dedication and time, I tried to carve out an hour in the morning before I leave my house. Math Revolution has these 5 questions per day, this is really useful and represents the kind of things I did in this hour. Math is about practicing, so I wanted to keep the practice up.

2. My initial post hasnt been clear in this regard, I did not study 100 SC question per day but 100-150 quant and 10 SC. At this stage, my verbal was good enough so I just wanted to ensure it stays this way. What I mean by this, I usually did a set of 10, focused to remain below 20 min and max 2 wrong. Those 2 wrong I looked into it and tried to understand why I chose the wrong answer (e.g. sounded better, did not consider the not underlined part, etc.). I further created a list with my wrong SC questions + questions that tested a particularly SC skill (e.g. there is usually one question that tests you on "that, those" or a question that tests you on the right usage of past perfect). 2-3 days before test day, instead of new questions I only worked with thiis "best of" list which included my errors and typical SC questions. In my study periods before, I alternated between quant and verbal (e.g. 2h quant, break, 2h SC, repeat). I figured the only area in which I can fairly quick improve was SC (also it usually represented over 50% of my errors). So I watched the GMATninja videos in addition to practice with the OG question bank.
For quant I chose a different approach. Problem here, I did not know where my weak spots were. I had a roughly good understanding of most concepts but in almost each sub chapter 1-2 blind spots. It got confirmed through the fact that my error rate in 600-700 questions was similar to my error rate for 700+ questions. TTP was ideal for this because it builds a very comprehensive foundation and really uncovers your weak spots.
For both parts I did not really follow a list of sub-sections and ticked each once done but I worked the other way around. Through the practice questions, whenever I encountered a certain type of question that gave me a hard time, I used this forum's question bank to find similar questions and solved 10-20 of those.

3. Yes and no, don't forget I already took several mock tests before. With those two tests I actually only wanted to gain confidence and see that my scores no longer fluctuate (which was the case, I had identical scores in both). Ideally you take those tests earlier and what I personally consider very helpful is to repeat one of the previous tests a day before test day. While your score will be inflated (bear this in mind!!) it feels great to see such a high score and it reduces your anxiety and builds confidence.

4. Take care of your mental state. One of my best friends was also studying for it and we talked almost each Saturday or Sunday. By sharing experiences made, lessons learned and just having someone to talk to, you will feel much better. In the end, your score will be determined by a number of factors. You can practice little and achieve a high score just by being mentally in your best state. On the other side, you can practice a lifetime and then still score below your capabilities because you were not in a good state. This take-away might be even more important in more "competitive societies" where social pressure is much higher.

Hope my answers make sense. BTW, are you applying to IIMC (I saw that you are school moderator).
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2020, 15:11
Congrats. Hope you'll reach your dream!
Thanks for sharing...
Manager
Manager
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 08:27
Great debrief, Thanks for sharing. All the best for your app.
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 15:02
Hi Pumaman5, congrats on your achievement (getting 680 from 590). It is competitive score to apply to top european business schools. Wish you good luck for your school application

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 15:34
Pumaman5 congratulations! It is so true what you said about "650-700 is a failure on this forum"... Of course, 680 is a solid score. Assuming the other aspects of your application are balanced, you have very good chances to get in a school of your preference. Good luck!
Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 19:29
Congratulations Pumaman5 ..

What a debrief..!!
You have pulled a ton of effort to taste the success. Your insights are very good, a few of which follow and hope to remain consistent on them.

How would you advise on keeping pace with the timings because i am lacking on that front.??

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 20:00
Congrats on your score!
Inspiring debrief.

All the best for your applications

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 22:48
lnm87 wrote:
How would you advise on keeping pace with the timings because i am lacking on that front.??

A few thoughts on that front:
- In verbal, I realized, often when I spend more time at a question, I’m going to answer it wrong anyways. With this insight, I forced myself to let those questions go and pick one of the answers more quickly. Set yourself a timer and if you cross the 3 minutes mark, pick one answer and move on.
- quant is a bit weird, whenever I was good in time it was because I answered many questions wrong and only got easy question. Hence, getting under time pressure was a good sign for me that I’m on my way to a good score.
- For the quant part I had two checks: after 10 questions I wanted to have 37-40 mins left and after 20, I expected to have 17-20 mins (btw on test day I was 5 mins behind in my second check).
- Be ready to guess! I typically picked DS questions for that. Roughly 3-5 questions (because I’m slow in math, you might need to guess fewer when you aim higher than Q45) and more at the end of the test. Also alternate between guessing, one right one wrong doesn’t change your score much but you get punished for a series of wrong answers!
- lastly, practice! I developed somewhat of an inner clock so that I knew when I was too slow. Don’t practice blindly, follow some of my suggestions (or use a strategy that works best for you) and practice it!

Hope it helps! All the best!

D

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 23:29
Thanks Pumaman5

The third one i totally forgot while attempting questions in tests recently. I will try it in my next mock.
I have able to improve my score by 50 points till date(can't vouch on that since the improvement is in third party mocks) but i find myself always guessing consecutively almost 8-10 questions in Verbal and 4-5 in Quant. As a matter of fact, i gave four mocks(3 experts global, 1 e-gmat sequentially) in last 10 days, the first one had a 50 point jump from my official score, screwed up next that I could not complete verbal section, third one dropped 20 points compared to first one and then finally back to a score matching exactly to my official score; so basically its getting down as i move ahead. The scores are as follows: Q-V 47-30, 47-14(didn't complete), 46-28 and 46-24.

Also, in these 4 mocks i tried not to answer wrongly in first 10 questions in both Quant and Verbal, taking too much of time but have not been able to do so.
So, do you think that i should rather give official mocks(have 4 left) which i was not touching as I thought to first get confident about my skills(which i can't be sure about if i keep guessing those many questions). I know i can do better but verbal is playing the spoilsport here.

Pumaman5 wrote:
lnm87 wrote:

A few thoughts on that front:
- In verbal, I realized, often when I spend more time at a question, I’m going to answer it wrong anyways. With this insight, I forced myself to let those questions go and pick one of the answers more quickly. Set yourself a timer and if you cross the 3 minutes mark, pick one answer and move on.
- quant is a bit weird, whenever I was good in time it was because I answered many questions wrong and only got easy question. Hence, getting under time pressure was a good sign for me that I’m on my way to a good score.
- For the quant part I had two checks: after 10 questions I wanted to have 37-40 mins left and after 20, I expected to have 17-20 mins (btw on test day I was 5 mins behind in my second check).
- Be ready to guess! I typically picked DS questions for that. Roughly 3-5 questions (because I’m slow in math, you might need to guess fewer when you aim higher than Q45) and more at the end of the test. Also alternate between guessing, one right one wrong doesn’t change your score much but you get punished for a series of wrong answers!
- lastly, practice! I developed somewhat of an inner clock so that I knew when I was too slow. Don’t practice blindly, follow some of my suggestions (or use a strategy that works best for you) and practice it!

Hope it helps! All the best!

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 10:45
Hi Pumaman5,

Congrats on a great GMAT score! I’m thrilled to hear that TTP helped you achieve your quant score goal. Good luck with things moving forward.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 00:52
lnm87

Apologies for my late reply, I'm back in full time work mode ;)

First of all, these are great quant scores, congratulations to that. I think your focus should be indeed on verbal and achieve a consistent score. As I wrote in my debrief. I don't think there is one solution that fits all. Perhaps start with this approach:
1. analyse your errors and see whether you are weak in 1 certain area or more
2. look at your timing, do you answer questions right when you spend a long time solving those? If not, stop doing it.
3. find the course / help you need and that you are able to understand. As I said, GMATNinja's videos did the job for me. Many other in this forum are fans of the mgmat series or veritas

Missed to answer your last question. I wouldnt touch more tests but would use the OG question bank first. Once you have finished it, give another mock.

Improving verbal is challenging, but I'm sure you have all it takes to succeed. let me know if you have more questions.
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 02:39
Pumaman5 wrote:
lnm87

Apologies for my late reply, I'm back in full time work mode ;)

First of all, these are great quant scores, congratulations to that. I think your focus should be indeed on verbal and achieve a consistent score. As I wrote in my debrief. I don't think there is one solution that fits all. Perhaps start with this approach:
1. analyse your errors and see whether you are weak in 1 certain area or more
2. look at your timing, do you answer questions right when you spend a long time solving those? If not, stop doing it.
3. find the course / help you need and that you are able to understand. As I said, GMATNinja's videos did the job for me. Many other in this forum are fans of the mgmat series or veritas

Missed to answer your last question. I wouldnt touch more tests but would use the OG question bank first. Once you have finished it, give another mock.

Improving verbal is challenging, but I'm sure you have all it takes to succeed. let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for putting things aptly.!!
Verbal is pain area. I have reached V30, 33-34 achievable if i pay a little more attention but getting beyond needs a different approach.
I am referring GMATNinja video series for CR/RC. Hope next mock is fruitful.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680.   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2020, 02:39

GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics