GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Ninja, LIVE on YouTube! Series 2, Spring 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: GMAT Ninja, LIVE on YouTube! Series 2, Spring 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 09:34
Dear GMATNinja Charls,

You are great. Thanks for all those awesome videos in youtube.
Did you cover any session on "modifier" either on youtube or somewhere else? Could you please help to find them out? I could not find them.
souvik101990, thanks to you too.
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 09:48
Hi meamitmukherjee

Welcome to GMAT club.

Thanks for your kind words and glad you could find the earlier videos useful.
We are upcoming with new series very soon and shall incorporate the same, if possible.

Meanwhile, to not halter your prep, a couple of modifier links you could find useful are there in
GMATNinja 's signature - namely - Verb-ed and Verb-ing modifiers, and in souvik101990 's post
here.

We also had good chats here
and discussion on best of official questions here

Do not forget to apply what you learnt here

Happy study prep.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 02:52
adkikani, thanks a lot and looking forward to those upcoming events.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 03:19
GMATNinja wrote:

GMAT Ninja Series 2, LIVE on YouTube!

Attachment:
GMATNinja FB EVENTS.jpg

As threatened, we’re back with another series of YouTube Live videos!

For those of you who missed it, we did a verbal-only series of 10 videos in late 2017, focused mainly on a mix of CR and SC topics. All of those live videos – including all of my glorious, glorious live mistakes – can be found in this thread, or in this playlist on the GMAT Club YouTube page.

But this time? We covered a little bit of everything: quant, verbal, and general strategies for developing a winning GMAT mindset. And we’ll let you decide if I should have stuck to just the “verbal” part of my “verbal expert” title! :oops:

So here’s the rundown of the videos for Series 2, filmed between February and April 2018:

• How to become your own GMAT tutor: tips for maximizing your self-study progress. Video | Slides & Links
  • How cutting corners kills your GMAT score (on both quant and verbal!) Video
  • The five biggest things you’re doing wrong on RC & CR. Video
  • Developing a flexible GMAT quant mindset Video
  • Getting your priorities straight on SC Video
  • GMAT word translations 101 Video
  • How to go from great (V40?) to incredible (V45?!) on GMAT SC Video
  • How to go from great (Q47?) to incredible (Q51?!) on GMAT DS Video

To watch these or any of our past videos, visit the GMAT Club YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/gmatclub. And the full playlist for Series 2 is available here.

Hi! Firstly THANKS for all the videos. They are simply amazing!

Also, just saw the "WTF is THAT doing there" video and i have two questions related to the usage of "that":

1. Can "that" refer back to people?
2. Can "that" modify a verb clause? eg The goalkeeper blocked two penalty kicks and that caused his team to win.

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 08:38
Kritisood wrote:

Also, just saw the "WTF is THAT doing there" video and i have two questions related to the usage of "that":

2. Can "that" modify a verb clause? eg The goalkeeper blocked two penalty kicks and that caused his team to win.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for the kind words, and sorry for my slow response to this!

1. In real life, it doesn't seem to be a problem for "that" to modify people. On the GMAT, I'm hard-pressed to find official SC questions that use "that" to modify people, but I also can't find any official SC questions that force you to choose between "that" and "who." So as far as we can tell, "that" is probably acceptable for modifying people -- and more importantly, it's probably not worth worrying about.

2. I don't think that "that" could reasonably modify a verb clause. When "that" is used as a modifier, it can only modify nouns.

In your example, "that" is trying to operate as a pronoun, not as a modifier. The intention, I think, is for "that" to mean "that action" or "that fact" (both of which are nouns) -- but since the word "action" or "fact" doesn't appear anywhere, the sentence would not be correct on the GMAT. (I would argue that it's fine in real life, but let's not let real life interfere with your GMAT!) If you're going to use a singular pronoun, it generally needs to have a clear, singular referent somewhere else in the sentence. Rare exceptions exist, but I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about them.

For more on "that" and its many uses, check out this article.

I hope this helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 01:57
GMATNinja wrote:
Kritisood wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for the kind words, and sorry for my slow response to this!

1. In real life, it doesn't seem to be a problem for "that" to modify people. On the GMAT, I'm hard-pressed to find official SC questions that use "that" to modify people, but I also can't find any official SC questions that force you to choose between "that" and "who." So as far as we can tell, "that" is probably acceptable for modifying people -- and more importantly, it's probably not worth worrying about.

2. I don't think that "that" could reasonably modify a verb clause. When "that" is used as a modifier, it can only modify nouns.

In your example, "that" is trying to operate as a pronoun, not as a modifier. The intention, I think, is for "that" to mean "that action" or "that fact" (both of which are nouns) -- but since the word "action" or "fact" doesn't appear anywhere, the sentence would not be correct on the GMAT. (I would argue that it's fine in real life, but let's not let real life interfere with your GMAT!) If you're going to use a singular pronoun, it generally needs to have a clear, singular referent somewhere else in the sentence. Rare exceptions exist, but I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about them.

For more on "that" and its many uses, check out this article.

I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for your response, as always!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Ninja, LIVE on YouTube! Series 2, Spring 2018   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2019, 01:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

GMAT Ninja, LIVE on YouTube! Series 2, Spring 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics