Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [8]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [3]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Gmat Official Guide 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi, I ve just stared my prep and had the same question. For now I have just bought the OG 2020. I plan to use that for now , do some practice and after finishing will buy the quant and verbal OG to work on my weaknesses

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kumaran & ganeshps77,

The OG books are great sources for practice questions (and at the very least, you should get a copy of the main Official Guide), but those books are not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. As such, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kumaran & ganeshps77,

The OG books are great sources for practice questions (and at the very least, you should get a copy of the main Official Guide), but those books are not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. As such, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

Hi Rich, Many thanks for a detailed response. Here is a bit of background. I’m an engineer and I have close to 19 years of global experience in IT, 2 of them running my own company. I’m an Indian , currently based in Middle East. My desire to do GMAT at this stage is to get into one of the best MBA programs with scholarship , so that I can look at global senior management roles.
I have just started my GMAT prep 2 weeks ago and I bought OG 2020. I gave the free GMAT practice exam 1 with no preparation and could make a modest score of 530(Q37, V25). This is with my rusty concepts and a 19 year gap. I’m planning to give my next free test in a week or two and now brushing up my quant and verbal using OG and GMAT club. My goal is to get at least 700. My study plan now - is not regular with 30 min to 1 hour prep during weekdays and 2-3 hrs during weekends. I also keep solving GMAT club posts when I get time. I plan to give my GMAT in July 2020 and try my luck for R1 admissions if all goes well.

Would appreciate any advice on a study plan , ,topics to focus on and any material apart fromOG 2020 which I should look at and also any top MBA courses I should pursue , given my experience and profile.
Thank you
Ganesh

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ganeshps77,

Raising a 530 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

From what you describe, you don't appear to have a specific list of Schools/Programs that interest you. The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match YOUR career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to, so here are some things to consider:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

I suggest that you study for the next 2-3 weeks as you like, then take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT - and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot