Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Gmat official score: SHOCKED [#permalink]
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Lucas,

I'm inclined to agree with Mario. A score like yours, a hundred points below the average of multiple CATs, including official ones, is almost certainly the result of nerves. The tests you took are accurate individually and even more so in aggregate. You know you can do better.

That said, you really need to deconstruct what went wrong. Were you nervous? Did you panic? Did you mismanage your time? It's clear something held you back, and unless you can address that, you're at risk of another low score on your next Test Day.

I hope this helps!

i was a bit nervous, but i think it's pretty normal :( i don't think this is the main problem.. the only thing i can remember (but it's not the first time) is that i had about 20 minutes in the last 6 questions (too much time i think)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i'm trying to figure out what went wrong, but i really can't find a valid reason. In my last Gmatprep test i realize a verbal score of 38.

do you think the use of ear plugs could be a possible cause? it was the first time that i use it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just a note to say thank you to everyone who contributed to, and indeed made, these forums. Today I got the test result that I had been hoping for and that was, in part, down to the aforementioned. The exam is a real roller coaster and I felt terrible because of it at times. The test is incredibly culturally specific and for that reason I dont like it nor will I ever. The advice given on these forums, especially when taken in the round, is high quality and it sustained me through 12 very hard weeks. I hope I can avoid the temptation, now that I have my 740 score, to think of the exam as being a good exam in retrospect just because I got a good score. Sure you should work, work, work, take the courses (though I only took the books and the online freebies) and treat it like a small demonic possession then, after getting over a given threshold, throw much of it away because in large part the content is not that ameliorative. Oh and, being as I am both oldish and non-american I can say that the GMAT should never define you moreover I would challenge you to succeed in your careers so much so that you will one day define it instead. This can be the only real success.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
lucasITA wrote:
I'm an italian student, i've been studying for the Gmat in the last 3 months. I've used the official GMAT review book and Kaplan Gmat Premiere 2013.
These are my scores in 6 different cats that i got in REAL TIMED conditions:
Kaplan cat 1 590
cat 2 620
cat 3 660
cat4 620
cat 5 680
(all take in the last month)
GMAT PREP 1 620 (taken 3 weeks ago)
GMAT PREP 2 690 (taken 4 days ago)

Today, in the real Gmat, i got 550(Q43,V23). I'm shocked, how is it possible? :cry: :cry: :shock: i've never got less that 35 in the verbal section.
what should i do?
Do you think that should i retake the test in 1 month (i won't be able to study anymore)?

Are you sure you did not miss one last question somewhere? Think hard... even in IR? The algorithm punishes you real bad for not completing any section. You should retake the test. Your scores are really strong and a 550 does not reflect your true abilities.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
There was a post of a member going 590 to 770 in a month by retaking. Perhaps just a bad combination of factors? Happens sometimes.

Posted from my mobile device.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Statistics, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I think there's some great insight posted above; most certainty pertains to my experience:

I'm studying to retake the GMAT. My first attempt was far below my CAT scores and after reflecting on it, I chalked it up to three things:

1. I was really nervous
2. I got a lot of number properties questions (by far my biggest weakness).
3. I wasn't ready to take the test. I scheduled it three months from the start of my studying, thinking that would be enough motivation to study - boy was I wrong. I should have rescheduled it and only be out $50. I went into the test thinking, "ok, just do the best you can" and not "I'm more than ready; I'm going to crush this test". Big mistake there.

So this time around I'm spending all the time it takes in order for me to be scoring 46+ on quant (with extra emphasis on number props), and will then move onto verbal.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Send PM
Yes, you really have to go into the test with extreme confidence. You can't be happy with just casually taking the test -- at some point during exam day the nerves will get to you -- or you won't have enough glucose to feed your brain and you'll start becoming dizzy, etc.. You want to make sure everything that is within your control is in control. That's why it's important not just to take practice tests -- but to simulate exam conditions and your own mental state when taking your practice tests.

Good luck on the retake and let us know if you need help on boosting that confidence going into the exam.
GMAT Club Bot