Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: GMAT online Debrief - 740 (Q49, V42) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Parnika182 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I wrote my GMAT on the 24th of July, i.e. last Friday and received my score early morning today. Gmatclub has been extremely helpful to me and I hope this debrief will help some of you.

Background: I am an engineer(from India) with 3 years of work experience. This was my first attempt at GMAT, though I had been thinking about it for quite some time.

Materials Used: Verbal: OG, Manhattan books; Quant: OG, Gmat club Math book; (I felt comfortable with most concepts, just needed something to brush up); CATs: Veritas CATs and GMATprep

The biggest obstacles for me were dealing with my test anxiety and making time for prep along with my office. I suffer from extreme test anxiety and have literal panic attacks during such exams.
I started my prep about 3 months ago and decided to make a plan.
After reading a lot of blogs on e-gmathttps://e-gmat.com/ and here on gmatclub, I decided to

1. Finish the OG and give a mock test
2. Depending on the result identify weaknesses and allocate time for verbal and quant
3. Finish the theory in 2 months, give another mock test
4. Focus on dealing with test anxiety and identify the best test-taking strategies.

According to the plan, I finished OG and gave my first mock test, scored a 680(Official). I was weaker in verbal than in quant, so I dedicated 70% time to verbal and the rest to quant. I did not have a lot of trouble understanding the material, manhattan books are pure gold!! Finished the theory and the next mock test I gave resulted in a 710(Official). I was happy with the progress but knew I could do better. 2.5 months had passed and I decided to book a date. The next few weeks were extremely hectic for me.

After analyzing my performance, I realized 2 things, 1. I wasn't very comfortable with my answers in SC and ended up choosing the wrong ones( and wasting a lot of time) if stuck between two options and 2. I was not managing my time properly. This meant I needed to work on my test-taking strategy. So I researched about the same, found some really nice blogs on Kaplan and e-gmat, and decided that I had to write down my strategy on my whiteboard so I can keep a check on time without panicking. This really helped me a lot. About being confused, I followed the eliminate the splits strategy suggested by e-gmat for SC. This raised my score to 750s and above in mocks.

To deal with anxiety and time management I did the following:
Anxiety: while making my timing strategy I decided to give myself 1.5-minute breaks after 10 questions to calm myself down, I took deep breaths and hummed a light tune in my head.
Time management: I made a time-table for myself, restricting my office work to 7 in the evening, a two hour break post that (which included dinner), and followed by 2-3 hours of studying. (I read this prioritizing strategy in the very famous book Eat that frog and it worked for me). On the weekends I had more freedom to study for 5-6 hours but my work sometimes required me to work on the weekends so that was that!

I got a whopping 780 on the final official mock I gave two days before the exam and was very confident for test day. A day before the exam I binge-watched Netflix and got a good night's sleep.

Test-Day: I was extremely nervous about the test, my appointment was at 3:15 PM, I logged into the system at 2:45. The check-in process was smooth and the test started right on time. I did not have issues navigating through quant and finished the section 10 minutes early. I relaxed for 8 minutes before the next section and began verbal. That's when everything went haywire, I started panicking a lot and was behind time. I murmured questions and the proctor came in to tell me not to do that, it increased my anxiety even more. I somehow managed to finish all questions but was mentally drained. I took my 5-minute break, stretched my legs a bit, and came back for IR which went smoothly.

The results came in 3 days later and though I did not jump on the score as it did not match my mock tests', I was satisfied because this will help me get into my target schools.

Some tips for GMAT online:
1. NEVER leave the camera without informing the proctor.
2. USE your optional break, it helps
3. ALWAYS practice your mock tests just as you would give your real one, especially if you get anxious ( I lacked here and that resulted in anxiety on test day)
4. ALWAYS run a system test one day before appearing

My purpose of writing this debrief is to talk about test anxiety and time management and how everyone can fight through these challenges.

Special thanks to egmat , abhimahna, GMATNinja , chetan2u , mikemcgarry , ScottTargetTestPrep and Bunuel , all of you made my life simpler.

All the very best to everyone!!

Hi Parnika182,
Really happy to hear the excellent score you could achieve, and also for being part of your journey in some way. I am sure you would surely get into an institute of your choice. All the very best for the applications.
Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
congratulations! and all the best for your applications.
Can you please clarify below points -
1)How good / different were the RCs and CR in exam? Did you finish verbal on time?
2)How did you control your anxiety during exam?
3)Did you also try unofficial materials to practice including gmat club quants ?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Parnika182,

Great job with 740! I’m so happy I was able to help. Thank you for sharing and good luck with things moving forward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Thank you Parnika182 for such a detailed debrief. There is a lot to learn from your experience.

I have my GMAT in one month from now.

I am successfully managing my time on mocks now. I wanted to ask some questions it will be helpful if you can answer those.

1. Did you give all gmatprep mocks?
2. There are some speculations regarding difficulty level of quant questions on real GMAT. I have read several times that quant in official exam is way tougher than official mocks. Is it a myth or true?
3. Have you struggled in improving CR part? If yes how did you overcome it?
4. Did you follow some verbal skipping or guessing strategy?

Thank you once again. And all the best for your future goals.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Congratulations Parnika182 on 740!!

All the best for the next phase!
gmat1393 wrote:
Congratulations Parnika182 on 740!!

All the best for the next phase!

Thanks a lot!!

GMAT online Debrief - 740 (Q49, V42) [#permalink]
gmatway wrote:
congratulations! and all the best for your applications.
Can you please clarify below points -
1)How good / different were the RCs and CR in exam? Did you finish verbal on time?
2)How did you control your anxiety during exam?
3)Did you also try unofficial materials to practice including gmat club quants ?

Thank you gmatway

I am happy to help

1. I had 3 RC's on my test and all of them were easy to understand, only one of them had tricky questions associated to it. CR was pretty much the same level as on the official mocks. I did finish my verbal with 30 seconds to spare but I had to do the last 10 questions in 12 minutes.

2. I made sure I take my breaks to relieve the stress that was building. I would close my eyes during those and hum a soothing tune in my head. I was taking a sip of water every time I felt nervous( not too much as there is no break between quant and verbal, so might be a problem).

3. I just purchased the Veritas CATs, their verbal is a lil hard as compared to the actual test. But overall I found that the concepts they test and the explanation they provide are nice. Also, I would like to emphasize on the importance of official questions, it's very important to practice and analyze those.

Thanks
Parnika
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Hi Parnika.. Did you use the online whiteboard or the physical one?

LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
great job Parnika182 . Wishisng you all the best for your applications.
NKLABR wrote:
Hi Parnika.. Did you use the online whiteboard or the physical one?

I used the physical whiteboard. I like to do math on paper to avoid mistakes.
AnirudhaS wrote:
great job Parnika182 . Wishisng you all the best for your applications.

Thank you AnirudhaS
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts