Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online Physical Whiteboard [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Hi all! Personally i struggle with writing near the edges of anything that's raised - like the edges of a page in a notebook, or i'd imagine on the edges of a whiteboard that's designed to be wall mounted.

So, to select something that's thin, are we allowed to use products such as this?
"Magnetic Dry Erase Whiteboard Sheet": https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Whitebo ... =mbbo06-20

If not, I'm thinking I'll resort to a plain white dry-erase lap board: https://www.amazon.com/SCRIBBLEDO-Inter ... =mbbo06-20
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yashmodi515 wrote:
Thank you bb for confirming. It is quite heavy, so doesn't move while writing. I have been using it for my practice tests and does a descent enough job.

Hi yashmodi515 Did this work for the test (assuming you took the test already)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Technically a sheet is not a board per se, so I can see it potentially causeing the proctor to struggle but if you have the other one handy then you should be covered. I would get both and swap out if you run into any kind of questions.

gothamchandra wrote:
Hi all! Personally i struggle with writing near the edges of anything that's raised - like the edges of a page in a notebook, or i'd imagine on the edges of a whiteboard that's designed to be wall mounted.

So, to select something that's thin, are we allowed to use products such as this?
"Magnetic Dry Erase Whiteboard Sheet": https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Whitebo ... =mbbo06-20

If not, I'm thinking I'll resort to a plain white dry-erase lap board: https://www.amazon.com/SCRIBBLEDO-Inter ... =mbbo06-20

True! That technicality that gave me pause. But having both should work! Thanks for this thread, btw. Very helpful

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Three questions:
1. What eraser is everyone ordering off Amazon?
2. Are we allowed time to prepare our board (e.g. sketch out the timing table) prior to the start of the exam or do we have to just eat some clock preparing the timing in the corner, say?
3. Agree/disagree that the lack of grid lines is problematic for coordinate geometry?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
bb wrote:
CEdward wrote:
Three questions:
1. What eraser is everyone ordering off Amazon?
2. Are we allowed time to prepare our board (e.g. sketch out the timing table) prior to the start of the exam or do we have to just eat some clock preparing the timing in the corner, say?
3. Agree/disagree that the lack of grid lines is problematic for coordinate geometry?

1. Hm... most boards come with an eraser... frankly any will do but you can’t use a napkin. Has to be a normal eraser.

2. You must have a blank whiteboard at the start of your test... unfortunately 😢

3. The official scratch paper (laminated sheets) do not have lines. Back in the day they just gave letter-size white sheets at the test center.... so you will have to deal with it. But coordinate geometry is pretty rare. https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-is-test ... 44670.html

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks b. For 2, what's the best way to quickly create choices a - e on the whiteboard without having to write each of the letters out for 30+ choices? Call me old school but I like to be able to cross off choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Bookmarks
bb wrote:
GMAT Online Physical Whiteboard

GMAT online has been extended to July 17 and starting June 12, you can take the GMAT online at home with a physical whiteboard. Those who have taken GMAT Online with the virtual whiteboard are allowed to retest. So far that is the only case that allows re-testing.

Physical Whiteboard specifications (as of 6/14):
  • 1 erasable whiteboard no larger than 12 inches x 20 inches (30 centimetres x 50 centimetres)
  • Up to 2 dry erase markers
  • 1 dry erase whiteboard eraser

The following items are NOT allowed:
  • Whiteboards with grids or other markings
  • Whiteboards with background colors
  • Paper
  • Pen / Pencil
  • Permanent Marker
  • Tissues, Paper Towels, Napkins
  • Whiteboard Spray
  • Paper in a clear slide
  • Boogie Boards
  • Chalkboards
  • Writing Tablets

Some thoughts of Wisdom:
  • Note that you will have to show your whiteboard (both sides to the proctor) before the test starts and when it ends (including before/after the break).
  • The whiteboard does not have to be visible to the proctor on the camera
  • No, you do not need to hang it on the wall and solve on it as you did back in the third grade (someone asked that :lol: )
  • Your whiteboard should probably lay on the desk in front of you/your computer. Make sure you don't get the biggest allowed whiteboard only to realize you can't fit it in
  • It is OK if your whiteboard has edges/border/frame - yes, someone asked about that too :roll:

Q: Can I use the MGMAT Test-taking booklet?
A: No, GMAC clarified in their list of prohibited items that in addition to boogieboards (so ridiculous to even list this), you cannot use a whiteboard with gridmarks or color, which eliminates MGMAT and other practice booklets with laminated sheets

Q: Which Marker should I use?
A: You should get the dry-erase (different from non-permanent) and my best experience so far has been with the EXPO dry erase Ultra fine tip - see below an image with a comparison of different markers including the test-center grade marker. The ultra-fine tip was the best but it degrades over time so make sure you get 2 (as rules allow for 2 markers). They also tend to dry up in the hours of test-taking but it is not terrible really. With the ultra-fine tip you will be able to use a dry erase board for 4-8 questions before you have to wipe it, likely 4-6. The big "classic tip" markers will cut that capacity down to 2 questions.

Which whiteboard should I use?
A: Any kind you can get in your country that meets the size requirements. You will have it sitting on your desk so something without crazy frames/big attachments would be best. Here are some examples from Amazon:

1. Large 11x17 (2 letter size sheets of paper put together)
https://amazon.com/School-Smart-633746- ... th=1&psc=1
I would take 2 sheets and see if that size is OK or perhaps it is too big for your desk/comfort. There is such thing as a whiteboard that's too big.....

2. Letter or Legal size (11x8.5 or 11x14)
https://amazon.com/Brands-Contempo-Magn ... th=1&psc=1

Q: Can I use a whiteboard that has 2 sides?
A: All whiteboards have 2 sides :roll: so go ahead and use it. You are welcome to use a whiteboard that has both writeable sides or only one. You can use only one side if your other side is a chalkboard or colored surface.

-

Hey bb , is this whiteboard ok??

https://www.amazon.in/Pragati-Systems-N ... 341&sr=8-4
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Has anyone's GMAT been cancelled yet due to an issue surrounding a whiteboard?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi all,
i have a doubt. Here where i live there is no market for whiteboard and no shops have them. I just need an assurance from you.
This whiteboard is good for the online test?

Amazon Basics - 21,6 x 27,9 cm (i can't post the link)

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Sorry for this lame question-
Are multiple colored markers allowed to be used, or only a single color marker is allowed?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hey,

I'm currently freaking out a bit :( My whiteboard kind of broke today.. it has a crack. That crack is pretty straight and looks like a line that goes halfway through the whiteboard.. what should I do? My GMAT is in 2 days and I have no opportunity to get a new whiteboard :(
The crack is only on one side!

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
My whiteboard has a motivational quote written on the backside - I wanted to check if that will create any issue for the exam?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
mahika16 wrote:
My whiteboard has a motivational quote written on the backside - I wanted to check if that will create any issue for the exam?

Can you erase the quote? Any longish piece of writing may attract the attention of the proctor. You can inform the proctor if you are concerned.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
At the same time if you have 2 usable sides and the crack is only on one of the sides, then it is not really relevant. You can use the non-cracked side... hopefully that's the case.

Hovkial wrote:
pr2299 wrote:

I'm currently freaking out a bit :( My whiteboard kind of broke today.. it has a crack. That crack is pretty straight and looks like a line that goes halfway through the whiteboard.. what should I do? My GMAT is in 2 days and I have no opportunity to get a new whiteboard :(
The crack is only on one side!

Inform the proctor that you will be using a whiteboard with a cracked face on one side and that you had no time to get a replacement. They may allow it to be used. You should be prepared to use the online whiteboard if the use of the physical whiteboard is prohibited.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mahika16 wrote:

You are not supposed to have any writing on the whiteboard but I think this would be acceptable. You can show it to the proctor. Another DIY solution could be taping over it :lol: There is no rule that your whiteboard can't have tape on it ;-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
is it okay if the back of the whiteboard has a quote written?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Could anybody please send me an Amazon link (For India) or any online link to buy this 12x20 whiteboard?
I ordered one where it was exactly mentioned as GMAT whiteboard but received a much larger one. Cannot use it for the actual exam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0895P ... OJF5&psc=1

This is the perfect product for online GMAT whiteboard. It's thin and doesn't take much space. Dry wipe marker and eraser are included.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8