GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jul 2020, 11:47
GMAT ONLINE - EVERYTHING WE KNOW!
(this post is stickied at the top to provide a quick reference about GMAT Online)

• Online exam registration is $200 USD; there is no cost to reschedule even if you miss the test
  • Appointment dates are available beginning April 20, 2020, until June 15, 2020, July 17, 2020, Aug 14, 2020, Dec 31, 2020
  • Physical dry-erase white-board is allowed
Spoiler: :: Click to Expand full summary

• The GMAT™ Online exam can be taken on both Windows and Mac personal computers and laptops. Tablets are NOT allowed
  • The sections are as follows:
    31 Quantitative / 62 minutes
    36 Verbal / 65 minutes
    12 IR / 30 minutes
    *Please note that the Section Order for the GMAT ™ Online exam is fixed at this time as Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning
  • You will be allowed one, optional 5-minute break before you begin the Integrated Reasoning section.
  • Unlike the in-person exam at a testing center, the GMAT™ Online exam does not permit the use of a whiteboard during the exam. To assist you with the ability to take notes and/or draw shapes, there is an online whiteboard feature you can access during the exam. To learn more about Whiteboards, or Try one in action, see GMAT Club's Master Whiteboard Discussion
  • Tablets are also forbidden. Devices must have a physical keyboard
  • Touchscreens are a controversial item. Originally GMAC said touchscreens were forbidden. However, later they relaxed the requirements and are permitting use of touchscreens but not using touchscreens for the whiteboard
  • When you complete the exam, you will not receive a score immediately. Scores available in 7 days
  • Scores cannot be canceled
  • You can choose to send your scores to Schools (unlimited number) AFTER seeing the score instead of before taking the test (positive change)
  • Your online GMAT scores will NOT show up in the regular score reports and vice versa - New!
  • You can only take 1 GMAT Online test
  • Full details here: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/gmat-online-experience/about-the-gmat-online
  • You cannot get ESR report to analyze your performance https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-questions/gmat-online-exam#question27

Whiteboard Questions

GMAT Online Debriefs

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 23 Mar 2020, 11:37.
Last edited by bb on 22 Jul 2020, 11:47, edited 90 times in total.
Update
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39 (Online)
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 02:56
ZM308 wrote:
Great, thanks. Good to know. Does the score appear (or do you see any change when score is available) on the main page of your account? Or you need to click on "view appointment" on the gmat online part and then click on the recent completed exam, and then see it? Thanks

nsaharan1990 wrote:
ZM308 wrote:

Also thanks for clarifying that. So I think that was it then, right after IR there was only one window to click "end exam" and then the screen was closed and automatically went to a survey in Chrome browser.

bb wrote:
Congrats!!!! Fingers crossed for a great score! You did not want to wait for the physical whiteboard?

Posted from my mobile device

Yeah, that's exactly what happened with me as well. You should get your score in a couple of days so keep an eye on your My Account page on MBA.com. Good luck!

You will see an option to view your score on your MBA.com account page. I have attached the screenshot for your reference. This usually appears after 48 hours from completion of the test.
Attachments

GMAT Online Score.png
GMAT Online Score.png [ 39.61 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 09:58
People are not great judges of difficulty and I would definitely discard and ignore comments of quality. What does that even mean? Quality of questions? My guess is people were expecting to see the exact same questions they were practicing with and suddenly they got some questions they’ve never seen before. That is going to happen. It will always happen on your test if you are doing well and you should be prepared how to handle that situation. GMAT is not about taking 2000 questions and figuring out every single pattern. Some people advocates taking a lot of questions and learning from them but usually their scores will never be more than 700. That is because hard questions tend to be out of the box questions that rely on your knowledge of the fundamentals and not your ability to act like a machine and regurgitate answers based on your past experience solving thousands of questions.

I especially love when somebody gets a 600 and they complain about the quality of questions. What makes them an expert in GMAT questions is what I wonder 😂

nsaharan1990 wrote:
Bjartskular wrote:
Guys who have taken GMAT online, did it feel tiring not having a break between Quant and Verbal? Also, I see some posts where the users have mentioned that the quality of the questions was different. Is this true? Also, I have seen many people who got black screens during their tests. Can you please tell me about your experiences?

I am not sure whether the quality of the questions were different but I definitely felt that not having the break affected my performance on Verbal. Perhaps one way to get around it is to try and finish the Quant section a minute or two early and use that time to get a break between the two sections.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 08:58
It seems to be the case. People who have not received their score have not been able to book so you will have to wait to rebook after your score comes in.

ZM308 wrote:
souvik101990
I noticed that you have already signed up for the second online attempt. My profile doesn't allow me for a new registration post June 11th. I.e. there is no option for another registration. Could it because I haven't received my first attempt score yet and the registration link will be active after that?
I may not need to go for the 2nd attempt depending on my score (which I will hopefully receive today), just wanna make sure that I'll have this option.

Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 09:08
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
It seems to be the case. People who have not received their score have not been able to book so you will have to wait to rebook after your score comes in.

ZM308 wrote:
souvik101990
I noticed that you have already signed up for the second online attempt. My profile doesn't allow me for a new registration post June 11th. I.e. there is no option for another registration. Could it because I haven't received my first attempt score yet and the registration link will be active after that?
I may not need to go for the 2nd attempt depending on my score (which I will hopefully receive today), just wanna make sure that I'll have this option.

I received my pre-physical whiteboard GMAT Online scores on Friday afternoon (and got the score email this Monday morning), but I'm still not able to register for a GMAT Online retake through my mba.com account, so it might even take a little longer than that.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 11:49
I had a few students ask for confirmation on the policy I asked my proctor about concerning the use of the whiteboard prior to the start of the timed section and during the instruction screens, to make sure this didn't vary proctor to proctor. Here's what I just got back from GMAC:

Quote:
Hi Hailey,

I'm sorry for the delay!

No, candidates are not permitted to write on the Online Whiteboard before the start of the timed sections of the exam, or during breaks.

Regards,

Customer Care Team

Just figured you all might want to know as well :)

Veritas Prep Live Online Instructor and GMAT Enthusiast (seriously!)

Want to chat more about GMAT strategies for success? Come join me for a class!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 12:37
I think a multi-page booklet like Manhattan's might be problematic from GMAC perspective as they may think a candidate can take notes on different pages of the booklet and in the end erases only the first page in front of the camera.
So they may require the applicants to use a regular single-sided whiteboard and ask them to erase it in front of cam

mehro023 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Simulation-Booklet-Marker/dp/0979017580/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NDST6Z893RFJ&dchild=1&keywords=gmat+whiteboard&qid=1591644970&sprefix=gmat+%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-2

Would this suffice for a physical whiteboard requirement for GMAT Online ? Would like to know before I order !

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Ross'23, Tuck
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47 (Online)
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 06:03
rvsyn wrote:
davidbeckham wrote:
reddy10d, thanks for your reply. Sorry, I am still a bit unclear - I am assuming if they want photos of the ID, scans should be fine as well. In any case, the photos have to be uploaded 30 mins before the test or we can upload them in advance?

Please check the system test page from mba.com website. It should redirect you yo pearson vue site and gives you instruction to perform the system check, which is essentially a check-in procedure, it will tell you to take photo of yourself, your testing surrounding, and your id.

Taking your photo is part of checkin, so no, you cant take it in advance. And it will be a selfie, I don't think scanned picture will do the trick

I have one more thing to add.
I initially had my Online GMAT in the first week of May, but had to stop the test within the first 5 mins due to some technical issue. I then had the opportunity to retake the test at the end of May.
In both the cases, I had to upload the photo of my ID twice. I've heard a similar thing from one of my friends as well.
I suppose that the mandatory system check before the test intentionally does this to make sure that we are actually in procession of the original ID (cross checking the images uploaded on two distinct occasions). In my second attempt my proctor informed me that the ID was not uploaded properly and asked me to take a picture of it again and submit (all this while the video recording was on).
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 13:37
Top Contributor
sweetlyimproved wrote:
CruisingAltitude wrote:
Has anyone gotten actual confirmation that we can take advantage of the two test loophole if you haven't taken it yet? If i take the online test tomorrow(the 10th), will i be able to take it at some point later in June again with the whiteboard?

Great question. Any one knows about this answer?

Unfortunately this is impossible to specifically confirm without direct, explicit confirmation from GMAC, because you can’t register for the next online exam for another two weeks or so--and it's unlikely that we will receive such confirmation in time to decide.

You’ll just have to take that chance, as the clock is currently ticking and there is only one more test day left, but as far as I’m concerned, you’re covered under the current language on the website.

I’ll say one more time what I’ve been saying all along: that there is zero language on the GMAC website indicating that the date of registration has anything to do with whether one will be allowed a retake after the switch to the physical whiteboard on June 11.

You'll have to wait another two weeks or so after your first (non-whiteboard) test date before even registering the physical whiteboard exam, however--the (unannounced) roughly two weeks required duration between online exams seems to apply to the registration process as well as to the test dates themselves.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 13:46
Thank you again! I have put many of your points here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... 26346.html

Dizzi3 wrote:
Hi All,

I just completed my GMAT Online test! What a stressful time. I'll take you all through it as I was super curious.

Prior to the exam date, the system test did not work for me. I was in isolation due to moving back up to Canada and only had rural LTE network wifi which isn't good enough for the OnVue. It kept saying "You have lost your internet connection. OnVue is disabled until your connection is restored" every time I tried to do the sytem check 20-30 seconds after running the program. This was due to it not liking my LTE network I believe. When I called for support, they said I could figure it out during my exam time. I said F that and rented a hotel for my testing time (I checked the system test at the hotel prior).

During the exam, you follow the instructions on the email they send you. I almost had a heart attack because the "Begin Exam" link is hidden with a ton of other script to the right hand side. So I thought I couldn't write it at first and freaked out. Then I pressed it and it went through the system check, I took photos of myself, my ID, and four photos of the area around me. It was relatively quick, and I went through the tutorial 7 pages which were NOT timed. The instruction pages are timed for about 30 seconds each I believe. The whiteboard is on the bit that has your video on it, to the right of the chat button. If you press the chat button it alarms a proctor and they get back to you when they see it.

It is very difficult to do math on a whiteboard at regular times, but I thought I had gotten pretty good at it, until I realized that my hand was uncontrollably shaking. So maybe take that into account... I went through the math portion and stretched in my seat before the verbal portion started. Again the instruction page for 30 seconds, and then it jumps right into it!

I then had a break after the verbal and before IR. I wasn't sure if I could use the washroom, so I asked in the chat, but they took a while to get back to me so I said never mind and went into my IR section. The chat is really super annoying because when they DID get back to it, it was during my timed exam portion and it just kept popping up. I accidentally closed it one time before reading what they said and I couldn't open it without then acknowledging the chat again. So if you can avoid it, don't use the chat to the proctor. Just do your exam. I also noticed that after I had gotten a response they were looking at me through my webcam because I guess I was mumbling things under my breath and they said to not do that (in a totally nice way).

I finished the exam and am still shaking even now! Hopefully this helps some of you out. All in all, it was a super stressful thing and I would NEVER do an online exam again. Too many system problems that could occur. If you have a chance, just do it in person. I will now await my score that should come hopefully before 7 days.

-Em

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:31
Top Contributor
Shivam1809 wrote:
souvik101990 / mcelroytutoring

Guys what link did you use to register for the online retest ?

I am not able to find any option link, I had my online attempt on 5th June.

'My account >> register for GMAT online ' just takes me to Pearson dashboard but there is no option for retest.

Please help, what am I missing ?

GMAC apparently has an (unannounced!) required duration between online exams, which also apparently applies to registration--in other words, you are locked out from the registration process until the required duration of time after your last exam has passed. (The most likely explanation is that this prevents you from seeing the same questions twice.)

This unannounced "2 week wait" policy has been confirmed by me and many other users who recently took the pre-physical whiteboard test and are not yet able to register for the new exam. The only question pertains to the length of that duration: is it 2 weeks, as some have suggested, 16 days like the test-center exam, or maybe something else?

We shall find out.

Anyway, just wait about 14 to 16 days after your last GMAT Online test date, and you should be able to register for the physical whiteboard exam through your mba.com account without any issues.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 10 Jun 2020, 07:21.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 10 Jun 2020, 07:31, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2020, 22:10
Hi Everyone,
Just finished my Online GMAT with physical whiteboard.
Almost everything was same as in previous online whiteboard version, except, you need to show that the whiteboard is clean 3 times.
1) At the start of the test.
2) After completing quant and verbal, before taking break.
3) After completing the test.

Please be careful as the usual instruction pages contain this requirement of showing the cleaned whiteboard. So, avoid your urge to skip the pages without reading it.

Let me know if you have any query.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2020, 22:44
Here it is.

Its wood material based board of 2-3mm thickness. The size is smaller than A4.
I didn't want it to be too big or thick to complicate my mouse and laptop setting, or be an obstruction.
The pen and eraser are the ones used for usual whiteboard.

And I bought everything from 100 yen shop (I live in Japan).
So, sorry I can't recommend any online website to buy this from.

Cheers,
Attachments

IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 960 times ]

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jun 2020, 00:53
Just got a score of 720 in my online exam, V41 and Q48. Am disappointed with quant. Never scored less than Q50
Thanks bb and souvik101990 for all the support and help and for maintaining this forum.
Just as Souvik, I too plan to give the exam again with physical board and score more than Q48.

Originally posted by arora1 on 11 Jun 2020, 00:25.
Last edited by arora1 on 11 Jun 2020, 00:53, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.48
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2020, 13:49
Hey guys. My proctor showed up an hour late!! Which was pretty frustrating. But in general I think it went well. To me the quant section was easier than test center. Especially the first 5-10 questions were super easy.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2020, 12:41
This thread has 75 pages now.
bb : I think creating a new discussion for Gmat online-physical board can be useful.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2020, 03:23
HSW2021 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Just received my Online gmat (with physical whiteboard) score.
First of all, feeling sorry for guys who are waiting for scores to come out. Hold on tight guys!!!

I attempted my test on 11th 11:45am Japan Standard Time and received scores today 13th 6:13am. So, that's around 40hours after completion of the test. Pretty fast !!!!

The proctor told me before exam that I was the first one to take the test with physical whiteboard. Was expecting a delayed release on my score considering the changed format, but that was quicckkkkkk.

Scored 770 (Q50 V45).

It has been a wonderful (and painful) experience of 9 months prep and over 25 mocks ( I lost the count midway).

One of my best friend reddy10d scored the same score last week.
We prepared together for this and now sharing a beer with a huge smile on our faces. So happy and relieved this is over.

I will let this feeling sink in for this weekend and will post my debrief soon.
Btw, great story coming up soon from reddy10d .

Cheers,

Hey congratulations Man

Thats a dream score !!

Enjoy your throughly deserved beer:D

Cheers !

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2020, 08:29
Just a quick note about score verifications.

If you take the GMAT ONLINE twice, and you have already verified your previous score, you can also verify your RETAKE score as a separate score.
However, since MBA.com overwrites your scores, if you have not verified your previous score on the forum, it will not be visibly reflected.

P.S. You can also delete your previously verified scores in My Profile area

Here is an example:

Attachment:
score verifications.png
score verifications.png [ 100.69 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2020, 10:13
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
bb wrote:
Ideally you would get a dry erase marker with a fine tip. A fine tip will allow you more efficient use and better writing and less frustration and likely more accuracy. I would spend and extra $1 or 5 to get a fine tip marker.

I have bought quite a few erase markers from Amazon so far. But I do not think their tips are fine enough. Could anyone recommend one or two genuine fine-tip erases?

Thanks!

I just ordered these to test them out: Ultra Fine Tip (I think you actually want better than just Fine tip based on the gradation)
https://amazon.com/1884309-Low-Odor-Mar ... B00I8OBAOU

Attachment:
fine2.png

Attachment:
fint tip.png

Seems plenty "fine" to me! :cool:

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2020, 20:14
The Wharton website says the following (emphasis as provided in original text):https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/mba-application-requirements/#1582746962208-d222029f-3ab1

"In response to social distancing and stay-at-home measures, the Wharton MBA Program is accepting at-home GRE and GMAT test scores through the 2020-2021 admissions year."

My interpretation is that as it currently stands, the Online GMAT is not acceptable for other future admission years at Wharton unless they post another update deeming it acceptable. Surprising... I take this to indicate that the adcom does not feel the two exams (online and in-person) are interchangeable / of the same validity. From the perspective of a prospective applicant for next year (2022 entry) this makes me think best to stick with the in-person exam as it may be looked upon more favorably than the online version.
Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 08:43
HimanshuRawat651 wrote:
Hi,
I have few queries. Need an answer to those asap. Please help
1. I have an online GMAT today, scheduled at 11.30 PM. I ran the system test and successfully completed the same. Do i need to do anything else ?
2. under GMAT online appointment option, i don’t see any option to begin exam.
Does the begin exam option comes half an hour earlier to exam or when ?
3. By when should i come in room and start preparing for the formalities ?

HimanshuRawat651
1) Just the system test, and making sure the area is free of clutter and any extra monitors are unplugged.

Mba.com says "Please ensure that your desktop is clean and that you are not within arm’s reach of books, notepads, sticky notes, papers, pens, or pencils. If you plan to use a physical whiteboard, have it, your dry erase marker, and eraser ready." (https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/p ... nvironment)

2) Yes, the "Begin Exam" link appears on the far right 30 minutes before your exam time. (First, click the green button in your mba.com account: "Register now or view appointment details". Then, once it links to the pearsonvue.com site, click on the GMAT link, and then you will see the "Begin Exam" link on the right side)

3) You can "Begin Exam" up to 30 minutes before your scheduled time, which is probably recommended just in case you need to troubleshoot any issues. For example, I had to reset my modem because my internet speed surprisingly failed at first. In the mba.com link above, they recommend at least 15 minutes in advance. You will go through the same process as the system test, and then speak to the proctor, who will confirm that your work space is acceptable.
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2020, 08:43

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14  ...  113    Next  [ 2249 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep