Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
patto wrote:
People are crying because they can’t use paper on the gmat exam. The main problem is that if you take the exam with papers, then you can pass those exercises to somebody else. That’s why we are not allowed to use paper. And it’s quite understandable.

Posted from my mobile device

My post was misleading- I was attempting to express my frustration that they aren't allowing a whiteboard or similar. Completely understand the paper policy and agree with your sentiment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
patto wrote:
People are crying because they can’t use paper on the gmat exam. The main problem is that if you take the exam with papers, then you can pass those exercises to somebody else. That’s why we are not allowed to use paper. And it’s quite understandable.

This is exactly the reason for not being able to use scratch paper.... And I would have agreed with this summary. However GRE allows use of a reasonable whiteboard. Why not adapt the same method and process for the next two months?

-

It’s very difficult to know what it is going on in the companies that make the exam, especially when the companies are so different. I would suggest people to take gre if they don’t like gmat at all because it’s not a democratic thing, and not taking the gmat demonstrates that we don’t agree with the company’s policy. (And say bye bye to gmat, just not to say something else)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Scratch pads aren’t allowed and online whiteboards are allowed. Does it make any sense to practice math on a screen with us trying to draw numbers and solve. What will we focus on? Drawing the numbers or answering the question ? Can all of us possibly request the company to think through this decision as for most of us , it’s too late to consider whether GMAT or GRE

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Thank you for a nice summary and pointing out some missed conclusions and implications. I would really love for GMAC to allow choosing schools after the score is provided. However, I’m not sure that one can do that for free. The policy is not very clear in my reading and it seems, it rather suggests that you can order paid additional score reports.
bb, you are right about that third point. I think it was just wishful thinking on my part.

EDIT: Additional score reports will be free for the Online GMAT (confirmed in the GMAC webinar).

Originally posted by AjiteshArun on 15 Apr 2020, 01:07.
Last edited by AjiteshArun on 16 Apr 2020, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
My biggest concern is the one test limit for the at home. Some of us have no idea when test centers will reopen, what if we burn our only shot with a 550 and test centers are closed for the next 3-4 months? In this case, I couldn’t use the GMAT for ‘20 R3 apps, potentially even putting my ‘21 R1 process in jeopardy.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Was anyone able to register for the exam? For the scratchpad part, I feel they should atleast allow touch screen laptops. Otherwise it will be incredibly difficult to solve all the math questions in the give time. Also there is no optional break between Quant and Verbal. I don't know why they did that, Can't think of any reason for doing that. If anyone can comment on these it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [2]
Given Kudos: 1696
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Simon '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ramadityanand wrote:
Was anyone able to register for the exam? For the scratchpad part, I feel they should atleast allow touch screen laptops. Otherwise it will be incredibly difficult to solve all the math questions in the give time. Also there is no optional break between Quant and Verbal. I don't know why they did that, Can't think of any reason for doing that. If anyone can comment on these it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

I think if they allow touch screen, it will disadvantage some test takers, particularly me, because mine is not touchscreen. In general, to make it fair, they must allow to take notes on erasable board. As per no break regulation, i also think it is a fresh hell, cause i have no idea how to manage 2h of intense pressure with no break. they could have allowed us at least 1-2 min break, so we could run to bathroom at least. But maybe not, because we could remember qs and have them written down during break -_-
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Seems like we can send the scores even after the time during registration
Attachments

IMG_5378.jpg
IMG_5378.jpg [ 240.35 KiB | Viewed 6453 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
I am going to be taking the test on the first day available, 20 April. However, I am really concerned about the fact that we will not be able to take notes on paper/whiteboard: I am really scared about the amount of time we will lose writing on the "online whiteboard" provided, instead of using pen and paper. What do you think? I guess I will have to improve my pace in the Quant section.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Andreacesare wrote:
I am going to be taking the test on the first day available, 20 April. However, I am really concerned about the fact that we will not be able to take notes on paper/whiteboard: I am really scared about the amount of time we will lose writing on the "online whiteboard" provided, instead of using pen and paper. What do you think? I guess I will have to improve my pace in the Quant section.

It is tough.... will be awkward and I think the best thing to do is do a few hours of practice of doing shorthand with an online whiteboard (just google for one - quite a few available) and figure out how to manage questions and what you want to write down.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ari.banerjee wrote:
MS2020 wrote:
The only rational explanation I can think of for this behaviour from GMAC’s side is: They believe the online test provides the unfair advantage of one’s home-turf, and are thus tightening up the screws on every other aspect of the test so as to make it miserable and impossible.

I have some questions I hope some of you will Be able to clarify:
1) What happens if one loses internet connection mid way through?
2) Is GMAC going to release an official “trial” version of this whiteboard?
3) How is one to answer geometry questions without reproducing the image? and more importantly, how is one supposed to adapt to this new tool and figure out not just how to write but also how to draw on it?
4) Why do the scores come after 1 week? Why am I not allowed the chance to cancel them after viewing?
5) Not a question, just wanted to say that 200$ for this is really a joke

I was really looking forward to this from GMAC’s end but it looks like some of us have to proceed with past scores.

Most of these qs have been answered in previous posts. A link to the online scratchpad is also provided. Please go through earlier posts to find your answers.

Is there an official scratchpad? Or just a sample one? I am looking for the official one...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Here is my summary of the current situation. Let me know if I missed anything :)

Attachment:
GMAT Online pros cons.png

I would say the worst thing is the online whiteboard. Everything else is managable

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
MS2020 wrote:
The only rational explanation I can think of for this behaviour from GMAC’s side is: They believe the online test provides the unfair advantage of one’s home-turf, and are thus tightening up the screws on every other aspect of the test so as to make it miserable and impossible.

I have some questions I hope some of you will Be able to clarify:
1) What happens if one loses internet connection mid way through?
2) Is GMAC going to release an official “trial” version of this whiteboard?
3) How is one to answer geometry questions without reproducing the image? and more importantly, how is one supposed to adapt to this new tool and figure out not just how to write but also how to draw on it?
4) Why do the scores come after 1 week? Why am I not allowed the chance to cancel them after viewing?
5) Not a question, just wanted to say that 200$ for this is really a joke

I was really looking forward to this from GMAC’s end but it looks like some of us have to proceed with past scores.

Most of these qs have been answered in previous posts. A link to the online scratchpad is also provided. Please go through earlier posts to find your answers.

Is there an official scratchpad? Or just a sample one? I am looking for the official one...

From their website it seems the online whiteboard is embedded in the online exam software, where there's an item to click and it will pop up.
So not sure if they will provide it separately for practice purposes.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It would be the right thing to do to provide a practice onscreen white board.... I am exploring options to create one for GMAT Club where people could try it out and use it for practice. I am told it will take a week..... and about $1,000 - 2,000
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
tanto64 wrote:
In my limited view, GMAC may allow a scratchpad after the Friday's webinar due to low booking rates and a high number of complaints. I assume many people won't be willing to take the exam because not having a scratchpad is a significant disadvantage. Furthermore, with GRE being more flexible, my guess is that under high pressure GMAC may ease off. The only way to do that is hit them where it hurts - their wallet.

I also have the same feeling.
I was just checking their Twitter and IG account and there are plenty of comments criticizing their whiteboard policy. So they may reconsider it.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There is nothing in the rules prohibiting you from having an empty bucket underneath your computer desk.... I checked :lol:

I can’t imagine the craziness proctors must have experienced during these tests... Think about all the mental and emotional damage they experience.

ari.banerjee wrote:
bb wrote:
Here is my summary of the current situation. Let me know if I missed anything :)

Attachment:

Maybe include potential damages to the kidney and liver due to strain on the bladder or excessive dehydration in lieu of fear of involuntary secretion.... :lol: :lol:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
There is nothing in the rules prohibiting you from having an empty bucket underneath your computer desk.... I checked :lol:

I can’t imagine the craziness proctors must have experienced during these tests... Think about all the mental and emotional damage they experience.

ari.banerjee wrote:
bb wrote:

Attachment:

Maybe include potential damages to the kidney and liver due to strain on the bladder or excessive dehydration in lieu of fear of involuntary secretion.... :lol: :lol:

In case you didn’t know this haha proctors change during your exam. I had about 3 rotations that I remember...

I’d say that they are fine, it’s the students that suffer really.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25  ...  183