Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q45 V44
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
Congrats on your score!!!
It is interesting to see that you have changed and swapped the scores quite a bit.

PS. I don’t know that I have seen a direction or apoplectic saying the quant or verbal were ANY different on any format of the test. People and testtakers including myself are usually bad judges of question difficulty or test difficulty. Most of us believe that when we are answering questions well, we will get a good score. The reality is the opposite.

pfrancisco wrote:
Hi All,

I just took the GMAT again in a test center after taking the online version a few weeks ago and I think the results point out in the same direction as some other members'.

I scored a 660 on the online version (Q48 V34) and I just walked out with a 700 (Q44 V41, IR7). I obviously killed the quant section but I attribute it to a bad day and therefore not representative. I have never scored under 47 an typically have been at 49.

With that in mind and seeing that I am not the first one to mention it, I believe the verbal section of the online version does not match the real one and, while there is nothing to lose from taking the online version, it should not discourage anyone who has failed to get their expected score on the online Verbal.

Of course this is just MY case but hopefully it will be useful for people to develop their own opinion.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi bb,

It is indeed a big shift but the reason is that the past (several) weeks I have been focused on verbal which was my biggest weakness and I haven't done much for quant. I noticed as soon as I started doing the first problems that I was mentally slow and not as agile as usual, that's why I know it is not representative of my regular quant level.

I do not think the difference between online and 'physical' verbal lies in the format, but to be honest I really can't tell what it was...only that I do think that there is something different.

I also know what you mean about judging the difficulty. For me a feeling of increasing difficulty while doing Quant typically leads to a higher score (it makes sense), whereas for Verbal I can tell when I am doing well and normally matches the score.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
JL2020 wrote:
Hi everyone

I was supposed to take the Online GMAT exam tomorrow, but I just found this thread and totally changed my mind bc my weakness is verbal and I have got quite comfortable with the online whiteboard for quant section, so quant is not my concern.
However, since there's already less than 24 hours left to my online exam, I wasn't able to cancel that exam, so I just rescheduled it to Monday and booked an appointment at the test center for Friday June 4th! Does anyone know whether they let me write it in the test center or not because I already have an online appointment booked in 5 days?

Hey JL2020 ,

Your test center appointment and the online GMAT are not related to each other and it doesn't matter even if you have both the tests on the same day.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [2]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Today I survived the GMAT Online!

Before anyone asks, this is my best guess at my score

Quant: 49-50 (had to guess on a few, the online whiteboard was not so bad, though the hard ones would have been easier to "churn" on with an actual physical note-taking component)

Verbal: 40-51 (Verbal is always the wild card, imo). I will admit that I took the test late at night and went really quickly on Verbal--I finished with 25 minutes to spare, but I didn't feel rushed and I read every RC passage all the way through, for meaning.

Composite: 730-770

IR: I tanked the IR section because the test failed on me right at the beginning of the section, and I totally lost my flow. I was able to get back into the exam just fine (thank you to my proctors!!) but I got a very ominous "test failure" type message that terrified me and made me fear for the worst. Ultimately, it spooked me and I was afraid that--like others whose stories I had read here on GMAT Club--if it happened again, then I would not be able to restart and I would be forced to retake the entire test, so instead I guessed my way quickly through the rest of the IR section.

Probably a 2 or 3, 4 if I'm lucky.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Jun 2020, 23:31.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 05 Jun 2020, 14:13, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
Kudos
WHAT THE HELL. I scored 1.5 points lower than my average due to the whiteboard alone. They must offer retakes, this is insane!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
I see retaking as an option only if does not cost me more $$$.

I believe they should not proceed with this change now without giving us a chance to retake with the new conditions (and without cost) or somehow adjusting our grades gauss bell. It is really unfair.

I will be taking it at the Test Center anyway :(

Regards,
Pablo

bb wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Breaking: GMAC just announced that GMAT Online test takers will be able to use a physical whiteboard starting June 11!

https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/p ... rd-options

Thanks for sharing!
This is crazy! Definitely unexpected but it seems that they relented since the GMAT Online is continuing for another month till July 17. My guess re-takes are coming next :cool:

My thoughts
1. This is good news
2. This sucks for people who have taken the GMAT online with an onilne whiteboard
3. They will have to offer retake of the GMAT ONLINE since I can see lots of discomfort with the change among the people who have taken the test online
4. This proves that the squeaky wheel gets the grease :thumbsup:

P.S. I have to disappoint you McLroytutoring and all other beach folks- you can't use boogie boards ... but I think surfboards maybe OK! :lol:
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Seems to be the right stuff. You can only have 1 marker, however (but likely can't buy them individually anyway).
Make sure you board is about the right size (they won't measure it but they may give you a hard time if it is huge)

Apoorv07 wrote:
Hi Bb,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have attached one image to buy 1 dry erase marker and 1 dry marker eraser. Can you please help me to confirm, if I am referring to the correct items??

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
it will definitely cost more to retake... it would be a paid option for sure!

Here is a random question for you, how much would you be willing to pay if you could take the same set of questions twice?
There is a loophole that allows you to tap the same question pool of questions (if you take the EA and GMAT in the same 15 day period, you get the same question database. Souvik was somewhat surprised when he got the RC's and same Quant questions) but EA costs $350. At the same time, you can take EA, then prep for the type of questions you will encounter and then sit for the GMAT. Oddly enough in Souvik's case, his score was only a smidge higher on the EA than on the GMAT. So in his case retaking the same exact questions twice was of little consequence. :dazed

pabpinor wrote:
I see retaking as an option only if does not cost me more $$$.

I believe they should not proceed with this change now without giving us a chance to retake with the new conditions (and without cost) or somehow adjusting our grades gauss bell. It is really unfair.

I will be taking it at the Test Center anyway :(

Regards,
Pablo

bb wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Breaking: GMAC just announced that GMAT Online test takers will be able to use a physical whiteboard starting June 11!

https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/p ... rd-options

Thanks for sharing!
This is crazy! Definitely unexpected but it seems that they relented since the GMAT Online is continuing for another month till July 17. My guess re-takes are coming next :cool:

My thoughts
1. This is good news
2. This sucks for people who have taken the GMAT online with an onilne whiteboard
3. They will have to offer retake of the GMAT ONLINE since I can see lots of discomfort with the change among the people who have taken the test online
4. This proves that the squeaky wheel gets the grease :thumbsup:

P.S. I have to disappoint you McLroytutoring and all other beach folks- you can't use boogie boards ... but I think surfboards maybe OK! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
They are offering a retake to those who have already given the Online GMAT but the full fees applies.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
pn16 wrote:
Hi - why does it take GMAT Online one week to give us the score compared to the instant score visibility in physical GMAT?

Hi, I think it has something to do with them reviewing whether you take the test faithfully. Not sure though, but some of the test takers who took the longest to get their scores are the one who at least got some issue on their tests. This is my own analysis and I might be wrong.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good question. During the interview and different webinars, GMAT indicated that they have no plans to integrate the two score reports for the two versions of the test. However it is possible at a later date and I’m guessing much later date, the two test would be both reportable but I really see no reason why they would do it. It doesn’t seem they would get any brownie points from anyone. Well there is no guarantee, I doubt the two test score reports will ever be combined.

Another data point, people who have taken GMAT online before June 11, are allowed to retake it with a physical whiteboard. If they receive a higher score, their lower score will be overwritten and if they receive a lower score, then the score will remain unchanged. It seems the system supports only one score somehow and is somewhat limited.

NewportGMAT wrote:
Quick question, BB and others... Although one's online GMAT score cannot be cancelled, many have pointed out one's score for the Online GMAT is provided on a distinct score report. Do we know, or have any indication, whether the score reports (for online vs in-person exams) will eventually be integrated? In other words do we know with certainty that the independent reporting is deliberate and thus expected to continue? I've seen no such statement from GMAC and therefore as it stands I take little comfort in the separate reporting / lack of a cancel option. Hoping someone can change my mind. Thanks!

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Technically, over the next week, you can take GMAT 3 times (if pain and torture are your type of thing ?)

You can take an online test today and then another online test in a week and if the test centers are open, you can also take a physical test in between ?

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
LOL. That is funny. They totally tricked us ?

I wonder if the test taker volumes have really gone down or the business schools have put enough pressure. My guess is a combination of both.

Shivam1809 wrote:
So by earlier denying a common sense solution and later allowing it, GMAC has suckered all the eligible test takers into another $200 attempt.

Forget MBA, let's learn Marketing 101 from GMAC :D

Now I am off to give my GlorifiedMock/GMAT/GMATOnlineAttempt-1.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 256
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 2: 580 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 540 Q44 V20
Send PM
Kudos
I think there is a mistake. 20 in = 50.8 cm not 43 cm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I actually didn’t understand one thing. What’s about shipping? At first glance it looks like they are going to provide us with these whiteboards, so we have to order SPECIAL tools.
But on the other hand, maybe the phrase about shipping is said because of the quarantine regime. So now the main question for me is: Can we buy these whiteboards and markers by ourselves in our cities?

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Please read carefully and note that the test retake option has nothing to do with the announcement of the physical whiteboard option starting on 6/11, which happened yesterday 6/4/20, and everything to do with the introduction of that option, which is already referred to in the past tense on the GMAC website, but is of course still 6 days in the future (6/11/20).

In conclusion and in support of bb, yes, you should still be able to register for the pre 6/11/20 GMAT, and then later take advantage of the test retake option with the physical whiteboard for an additional $200, unless GMAC tells us otherwise. I mean, how would this be fair to someone who happened to take the GMAT Online yesterday or today, or is registered to take it tomorrow--to not allow them a retake with a physical whiteboard like everyone else? Are we to expect everyone to always stay abreast of GMAC announcements, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Yes, it would be nice if GMAC were to answer this question explicitly, but if we wait for a more specific answer on the official website, then we might find that the window of opportunity has already closed.

Now, a slightly different issue that has been raised here: are you gaming the system by registering now for a pre-6/11 test, after the news has already been announced? Sure, but if GMAC will let you, then why not? Everyone else who has taken the GMAT Online has been given the same "2 for 1" opportunity, so why not you as well?

It's risk-free other than the cost ($400) and the time––and the fact that you won't have a physical whiteboard on the first try, of course. : )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Kudos
arora1 My suggestion would be to concentrate on the exam and try to score best according to your ability in a single try. Thinking about the retest even before you try would have a negative effect on your preparation.
If you are not comfortable with online whiteboard then give the test with physical whiteboard. I hope that helps.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congrats!!!! Fingers crossed for a great score! You did not want to wait for the physical whiteboard?

What did you think about the virtual whiteboard?

(I have spent some time asking Souvik about this when he took the test in April and just verified again). There is actually no options to cancel the test. Very early on, before anyone has taken the test, there was information that you could cancel the score before seeing it. However, that was not true after people started taking GMAT online. It is basically not possible to cancel the test or the score.

PS. Of course you can just walk out of the room during the test and violate the policy and they will cancel the test for you but that’s a different story :-)

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34  ...  183