Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT PREPARATION [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Neha,

It sounds like you're just starting out. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

With an August Test Date, you have plenty of time to study, but you still need to be efficient with that time. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a high level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: GMAT PREPARATION [#permalink]
First of all i would really like to thank you each one you for your valuable suggestions and giving a positive feedback.

Yes,I have just started and have collected some of the study material(Kaplan,GMAT guides) etc,I am targeting SP JAIN,Mumbai for which as i have gone through some of the feedback need to score at least 650-670(As i do not have any overseas exp anything out of the box achievement).

I am planning to give Exam in Aug'16 first week as interviews start in SP Jain in 3rd week of Aug,want to have my score out before that.

Right now my plan is to refresh my concepts once,give a full length test and reevaluate.

Am i going right or need to change my strategy.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Neha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Neha,

Given your score goal and timeframe, your plan is absolutely doable. The specific advice that I'll offer will be based on that first FULL-LENGTH CAT score (with the Essay and IR sections), so it's important that you take that CAT sometime soon. Once you have that score result, you should report back here.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I am also a beginner like Neha. I am in Information Technology field (IT) and have around 3 years of work experience. Going by the available information, it looks like this might be a good time of the year to start.

Can experts recommend some very specific course material that I can start with, to develop the concepts systematically. I used to be decent in Mathematics in school, but it has been many years and my current job does not require any Mathematics "intervention":).

As for English, thankfully my medium of Education has been English, though I have by no means been a voracious reader. So, that might be an issue I think.

If you can direct me to a source with specific study plan, timeline suggestions, and resources for reference, that will be great.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PavaniRaghunath,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Hi

Disclaimer: I am not an expert but just want to help a fellow GMATCLUB community member!

From the little I know:-
1) Official questions are like a gold mine. Solve them and learn from them. Analyze even those questions which you have got right. Analyze the wrong options why they were wrong. Maintain an error log.
2) Develop a clear strategy on how to tackle each and every question type. This will help you in saving time.
3) For relaxing yourself try doing some meditation on daily basis and eat very healthy food till exam. Some physical exercise on daily basis should also be helpful. Dont study too much just 1-2 days before the exam.

Wishing you all the very best!! I hope you get your dream score!!

Regards,

Manish
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Neharair wrote:
Hello everyone..

I am a beginner and will need your kind suggestions to take my decision.

I am mechanical Engineer (2009 batch) and working in an Automobile from last 5+ years in program management.

If going back to the academic,not very impressive(scored 50% 12th,58% 10th ),Engineering 68%.I would not give any excuses that there were some unavoidable reasons but was just my bad luck.

Finally i have recollected myself last year and earned PMP certification in Aug'15.

I am planning to give GMAT in first week of Aug'16,Need some suggestions how should i go ahead as my past performance is not something which can add much value to my profile,I really need to work hard and score good.

Please suggest me.

Thanks
Neha

Hi
Your past exam scores will not be a big game changer if you can score a 700+ in GMAT. Although schools may ask about the marks but it is not an admission criteria. For your Gmat preparation, I would suggest to appear for a Gmatprep test. It will give you your current level and based on that you can start working on your weaknesses. You can study from the Mgmat guides for quant and Verbal. Alternatively you will find lots of resources on Gmatclub. Then you can start solving from the OG. Remember to analyze each question thoroughly. If you have any doubt in the explanations, search the question in the forum and you will find detailed explanations for all questions. Then you can appear for another test and track your progress.
Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Bot