Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Re: GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada [#permalink]
bb wrote:
GMAC is a not for profit organization. It is private but it’s not commercial.

I do have to say this is the strangest comment I’ve seen here for a while about someone wishing GMAT was run by the government.... Things are not usually cheaper than they are run by the government but they could be subsidized which means someone else is paying for it. The only way to drive the price down is to bring in more competition which is what GRE is doing and you’re welcome to take the GRE.

Honestly, I don't even know whether GMAC is what type of organization. To me, the exam is a gateway to what I want to achieve in life. For example, in India, CAT is conducted by IIMs and that essentially means conducted by Government. Does that mean it is good or bad for students? Who cares. For a serious test taker, s/he just needs smooth exam experience. And by the way CAT prices are subsided based on your caste (lol Yes, Sorry but we are India) because it is essentially run by the government.

Moral of the story. It's fine. That's how most of the things operate anyway. To a serious test taker, it won't matter.

Quote:
PS. I’m not defending their price increase especially since GRE is about half the price of the GMAT but increasing a price by 10% in 10 - 15 years is not even keeping up with inflation. They would have to raise the price by 30-40% to keep up with inflation.

I agree to this part. 10% increase in 10-15 years is not even covering the inflation. For example, I came to know yesterday that Fed tax per gallon of gas in US is 18c$. The problem is that number was introduced in 1993 ( :shocked ) so it essentially equates to 11c$ of today.

P.S: I am basically typing random things today so I will just go offline until evening. lol.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hopefully India continues to maintain the lower price point for quite a while. However the US and Canada prices are going up 10% and it’s likely to be corrected sooner or later in the remaining parts of the world.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Quote:
I agree to this part. 10% increase in 10-15 years is not even covering the inflation. For example, I came to know yesterday that Fed tax per gallon of gas in US is 18c$. The problem is that number was introduced in 1993 ( :shocked ) so it essentially equates to 11c$ of today.

TheNightKing have you read about the above in the Economist? I remember reading about this exact topic this week :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:

TheNightKing have you read about the above in the Economist? I remember reading about this exact topic this week :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixL3mDejAYU

I learned it in this Video. I am old enough to be able to share a link on the forum lol
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
I don't think so and I would suggest you don't sign up with any place that calls itself a coaching institute in the first place. :tongue_opt2

Hmm...wonder why you say so bb :?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
well , i seem to have opened a hells gate !! :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
bb wrote:
ShivamoggaGaganhs wrote:
Is the increase applicable in India too?

Does not seem so. It appears to only apply to the US and Canada. I know EU and UK have euro and GBP based fees. Is the fee in India in local currency or is it tied to USD?

Yes, in india one has to pay in USD . This is the basic problem i have with GMAC. WHen you have examination and admin centres in India, why are you making the candidate pay in USD ? The RBI reserves of US dollars go down, subsequently affecting the entire economy of the nation (the quantum may not be signficant, but still).

Further, if European candidates can pay in GBP , US candidates in USD , then why Indians are made to pay USD ?

American corporations will go to any limit to supress asian developing economies.

Just my opinion :P
Official GMAC Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi all,

To clarify, this week’s announcement reflects changes only in the United States and Canada. Please visit mba.com for additional details or access our FAQ page.

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Lol true ,they making GMAT less attractive to GRE
cantaffordname wrote:
Next thing is that they will remove 2 free test and start charging.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada [#permalink]
Adding to your post though this is not going to add anything valuable.
In last 10 years GMAT fee has actually increased more than 50% in INR terms. :shh: :dazed

May not be an apple to apple comparison but something that blows your mind. :|

ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
bb wrote:
ShivamoggaGaganhs wrote:
Is the increase applicable in India too?

Does not seem so. It appears to only apply to the US and Canada. I know EU and UK have euro and GBP based fees. Is the fee in India in local currency or is it tied to USD?

Yes, in india one has to pay in USD . This is the basic problem i have with GMAC. WHen you have examination and admin centres in India, why are you making the candidate pay in USD ? The RBI reserves of US dollars go down, subsequently affecting the entire economy of the nation (the quantum may not be signficant, but still).

Further, if European candidates can pay in GBP , US candidates in USD , then why Indians are made to pay USD ?

American corporations will go to any limit to supress asian developing economies.

Just my opinion :P
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
That’s an accurate picture to report the fee in INR since there is an inflation involved as well. All currencies have an inflation component to them and some may be more or less inflated. It would be more accurate to compare it to the actual income and salary levels instead.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
bb wrote:
That’s an accurate picture to report the fee in INR since there is an inflation involved as well. All currencies have an inflation component to them and some may be more or less inflated. It would be more accurate to compare it to the actual income and salary levels instead.

Exactly, since per capita income has increased both in India and China for example.
However, CNY has increased merely ~5% in last 10 years and maximum of ~20%(last six years).

But that's how things work i guess.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Just a gentle remainder for all those candidates in US/Canada region, today is the last day before GMAT Price increases tomorrow (Feb 4th)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2