Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT registration [#permalink]
rollingstone wrote:
hey everybody.
1) i was wondering if any one could tell me .... after you register for the test, how long does it take for the PP Cd to arrive. i want to schedule my test accordingly.

2) can anyone suggest effective methogs to prepare for Essay section. how much time in days will it take?

3)has anyone heard of a "guru's test prep CD".

the stone.

1. The CD takes quite a while to arrive. I think it was like 2 weeks after I registered. But you can download the same software from mba.com after you confirm your registration.

2. For practicing essays, I would recommend the following:
* Read through the essay section in either Kaplan or PP. They do a pretty good job in those books with explaining the importance of writing a conventional, standard essay that conforms to the expectations of ETS.
* For each type of essay, create for yourself a generic outline that you can use to answer any question. This is very easy to do after you understand what is expected of each essay.
* Begin to browse through the list of possible essay topics (available at mba.com or in the back of OG) and think of how you would answer the questions. Pick random ones that seem straightforward, then progress to more difficult ones. Try to think in "threes" -- that is, for each essay you should concentrate on discussing three different things. For the Analysis of an Issue essay, have 3 examples. For the Analysis of an Argument essay, have 3 points that you believe are not adequately expressed and attack them. 3 is enough to show that you have carefully thought through the issues, and is definitely do-able in 30 minutes.
* When you actually start writing, OUTLINE first. Take about 6-8 minutes to outline your answer to the question on paper, then start writing. I'd recommend 2-3 minutes on an opening, 4-5 minutes per body paragraph, 2-3 minutes on a conclusion, and the remaining time to re-read and fix any grammar or stylistic errors you see.
* My advice would just be to do essays every time you practice a test, no more or less often. Thus, assuming you take 5-7 practice tests, you will write a total of 10-14 essays, which is definitely enough. As with the test, timing is probably the most difficult factor, so do some additional essay practice if you feel timing is a problem.
* Remember that the essays come first, so your mind will be really sharp at this point -- take advantage of that! If you feel great about your essays, you can head into the math section feeling very confident, which will obviously help with the rest of the test.

Let me know if you would like to talk more about essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lisa12322 wrote:
djacks1914 wrote:
Hey rollingstone, you can download powerprep at https://www.mba.com/mba, as far as the essay section i've been using princeton's verbal workout book, hope this info helps

Speaking of the essay section. The mba.com website has a pdf file you can download of 2001-2002 essays. Does anyone know if this is the most current list? Is the list only published after the questions are retired? I was hoping to see some 2003 questions.

The questions in the 10th edition of OG are good at least until the end of 2003.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks guys [#permalink]
hey there folks.

thanks djacks, lisa and JP for your help. i found the download site on MBA.com. that sure saved me some worries.

lisa...where in orange county are you from? i live in anaheim hills.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: thanks guys [#permalink]
rollingstone wrote:
hey there folks.

thanks djacks, lisa and JP for your help. i found the download site on MBA.com. that sure saved me some worries.

lisa...where in orange county are you from? i live in anaheim hills.

You are close. I'm in Fullerton.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: thanks guys [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts