Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT score cancellation advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Prajwalds,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

As far as whether you should cancel this Score or not, Business Schools generally do not care if applicants take the GMAT more than once. That having been said, individual European MiM Programs might have a different perspective on this issue though, so the safest move would probably be to cancel this Score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Prajwalks,

Did you end up canceling your score? Do you need any advice regarding your retake?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
hi, on the GMAT official report that is sent to school, number of attempts that is cancelled is also included, will this affect badly on the applicant? I just knew this, I thought schools would not have visibility on the number of attempts cancelled
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT score cancellation advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
hellothere88 wrote:
hi, on the GMAT official report that is sent to school, number of attempts that is cancelled is also included, will this affect badly on the applicant? I just knew this, I thought schools would not have visibility on the number of attempts cancelled

Whatever is your source of information, you want to change it and not learn from there again because it is unreliable. It is incorrect.
First of all, There are different reporting processes for Online and Test center Tests. The online tests do not show up on the school reports - only the score you choose does. For the Regular Test Center exam, the process is outlined below on mba.com. Anyway, the blanket statement that you have learned is incorrect in both versions of the test.

https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-qu ... #question2

Quote:
If I’ve taken the GMAT™ exam more than once, will the score report contain all the scores?
The Official Score Report that you receive will include all GMAT exams that you have taken within the past five years. The score reports that are sent to schools will only include those scores that you have accepted. Any GMAT scores cancelled by you will not be included or otherwise indicated in the school version of the score report.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
bb wrote:
hellothere88 wrote:

Whatever is your source of information, you want to change it and not learn from there again because it is unreliable. It is incorrect.
First of all, There are different reporting processes for Online and Test center Tests. The online tests do not show up on the school reports - only the score you choose does. For the Regular Test Center exam, the process is outlined below on mba.com. Anyway, the blanket statement that you have learned is incorrect in both versions of the test.

Quote:
If I’ve taken the GMAT™ exam more than once, will the score report contain all the scores?
The Official Score Report that you receive will include all GMAT exams that you have taken within the past five years. The score reports that are sent to schools will only include those scores that you have accepted. Any GMAT scores cancelled by you will not be included or otherwise indicated in the school version of the score report.

Hi one can actually download your official score report. All the exams taken will be in one table where the cancelled scores have exact dates and 'C' on them. This is the first time I download my official report

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 11.08.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 11.08.57 AM.png [ 90.83 KiB | Viewed 1768 times ]

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hellothere88 wrote:
bb wrote:
hellothere88 wrote:

Quote:

Hi one can actually download your official score report. All the exams taken will be in one table where the cancelled scores have exact dates and 'C' on them. This is the first time I download my official report

Posted from my mobile device

No. The score report that schools receive is very different from what you get. You are assuming that what you’re downloading, is also available to business schools. That is an incorrect assumption. The score report that business schools receive are different.

For example, the report schools get includes the text of your AWA essay. Does your “official” score report include the text of your essay?

The score report sent to schools also includes your picture taken at the test center. Does your “official” score report have it?

Moreover, score report that you receive also lists all of the universities that you have sent scores to. That information is not visible to business schools.

And finally, just like the FAQ states on mba.com, Business schools do not see Test Center scores that were canceled.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The sample report you attached has a score from 2013.
That is also not reported to business schools. Scores older than 5 years are not reportable but will be visible to you for 10 years - that's another difference between the "user" and "school" version of the report.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
hellothere88 wrote:

Everything bb said is accurate. The "official" score report sent to schools will now show your canceled GMAT attempts.
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have a lot of clients who get very focused on things like the number of attempts, the cancelled score visibility and other details that ultimately don't affect how most AdCom's perceive your GMAT score.

The GMAT has been around a long time and it's fair to say that the AdCom's put a lot of stock in it's ability to measure your academic ability and how well you will cope with the rigors of a challenging Top MBA program. They will focus heavily on your best score (because it demonstrates that with focused prep and effort, you have the potential to excel in a challenging testing environment that needs the same reasoning skills as MBA studies and even business management does).

I'd suggest not worrying to much about the past scores and visibility of cancelled scores and simply focusing on getting your score to your target and make all those past score irrelevant.

We offer a FREE 90 minute diagnostic session -- it's LIVE ONLINE with a GMAT Performance Coach. We simulate a real GMAT test and diagnose your gaps in test taking skills along with flagging conceptual gaps. All our clients find it to be incredibly empowering with the clarity it suddenly gives them around why they're falling short on test day.
GMAT Club Bot