Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMAT score lower the more I study [#permalink]
Hovkial wrote:
Sebastiannn wrote:

I was studying between my first gmat prep exam and my last gmat prep exam at least 200 hours.

The worst thing is that my score got lower and lower the more I studied and the more often I took the gmat prep exams.
In one week I have my REAL gmat exam and honestly, I don't have any idea how I should score there at least a 600 score :(

My gmat prep scores were as follow:
1: 530 (verbal 27, quant 43)
2: 550 (verbal 40, quant 45)
3: 550 (verbal 62, quant 28)
4: 530 (verbal 23, quant 52)
5: 520 (verbal 18, quant 52)
6: 520 (verbal 23, quant 45)

Can somebody give me some recommendations what I can do until my exam? Someone experienced the same? Or are the gmat prep socres 3 to 6 not as reliable thant gmat prep score 1 and 2?

Have you thought of postponing the test date? The official prep scores show the same trend of scores in the 500s and it is not realistic to expect that the score on the actual test will be much different.

Regarding studying, you need to examine the way you are studying. The materials used and the amount of time spent studying are useful but not sufficient to do well on the test. Emphasizing revision and practice with regular basis breaks from study. Use different materials if you feel bored with same ones. Staying focused on the fundamentals will be important.

So, think of postponing the test. Second, draw up new study plans. If you cannot postpone, then use the test to prepare differently for the next attempt. GL!

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you so much for taking time and replying to my post.
Well, I was never thinking of postponing my test date. I'm interested in applying for a place starting next September so I'm not sure there is still enough time. I was always thinking I understand the basics especially in quant, what specifically could you recommend me to "focus on the fundamentals"?

Another question: When I usually review the questions I did wrong in the gmat prep exam most of them appear easy to me and I easily understand that is wrong. But I don't know why I made it wrong 3 hours earlier in the exam. Is there something which could help solving this issue?

Thanks a lot, Sebastian
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT score lower the more I study [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sebastian,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 6 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 540 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. The swings in your Quant and Verbal percentiles are likely due to a mix of 'lucky' and 'unlucky' guesses and little mistakes on individual Exams.

From what you describe, your studies have been 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. You might consider rescheduling your Exam, although since you're so close to your Test Date, the rescheduling fee would be $150. There's no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled, but raising a 540 to the point that you can consistently score 600+ will likely require at least another month of consistent, guided study, meaning that you would likely end up repaying to take the GMAT again later.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) Is your Goal Score 600 or something else?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) What application deadlines are you facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Sebastiannn wrote:

Thank you so much for taking time and replying to my post.
Well, I was never thinking of postponing my test date. I'm interested in applying for a place starting next September so I'm not sure there is still enough time. I was always thinking I understand the basics especially in quant, what specifically could you recommend me to "focus on the fundamentals"?

Another question: When I usually review the questions I did wrong in the gmat prep exam most of them appear easy to me and I easily understand that is wrong. But I don't know why I made it wrong 3 hours earlier in the exam. Is there something which could help solving this issue?

Depends on your target score. Since you are "stuck" in the 500s on the official practice tests, I suggested postponement if you wanted a score in the high 600s to over 700.

Understanding the basics involves many elements. One, you must become highly familiar with core concepts. e.g. concepts of number systems, time and work, speed and distance, geometry, etc (for quant section). The GMAT will test these same basic concepts in many convoluted ways, especially with the harder questions.

Regarding the second point: It is normal for a testtaker to feel that they easily understand a GMAT prep question when it is reviewed. The review process is different from the process involved when the question is answred the first time. You can use the review process to become familar with the various question patterns. Doing this will assist in quickly and accurately answering a different but similar question on the test.

Sebastiannn If you want more assistance, please feel free to drop me a note. September of next year appears to be plenty of time within which you can prepare. However, you may have different considerations in your life. GL!
GMAT Club Bot