Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q167 V164
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Priya,

Yes, certain companies do consider an applicant's GMAT Score (and in certain situations, the Quant Scaled Score) as part of the interview process. If you have an idea of the type(s) of companies that you might want to work for in the future, you should be able to research those companies (and perhaps contact their HR departments and directly ask any specific questions that you might have).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

What about GRE? Since GRE is also accepted at several top B-schools, have consulting firms started looking at GRE or GRE quant scores too as an alternative? Any ideas?
I am applying through GRE. I have a score of 330 (168-Q, 162-V).
Do I need to take GMAT now?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shudha,

Although I haven't heard of any specific examples of this, it stands to reason that the same firms that would think about how you scored on the GMAT might also consider how you scored on the GRE. As always, the best 'source' for this type of information is the firms themselves. You might want to consider reaching out and asking.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Score - Post-MBA Employment Questions (Consulting/MBB Mainly) [#permalink]
I scored well on my GMAT, but I am considering retaking it because I am confident that I can do better and I believe it has a strong impact on what job offers I could receive post-MBA program.

The questions that I have:

1. Do post-MBA employers check the official score report? It might look odd if I retake a high GMAT after already being accepted into the school of my choice, but if I can just put the new and improved score on my resume then I think it will be beneficial.

2. Do post-MBA employers check the IR and Essay? I think my score can be higher if I skip those sections and go for the number that everyone talks about.

I have already seen how a high GMAT can help post-MBA as more potential employers are willing to chat with me now as a Pre-MBA due to my score. I am coming from a non-target with a low undergraduate GPA so I think a really high GMAT could be quite important in my job applications.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DallasLastMinuteGMAT wrote:
I scored well on my GMAT, but I am considering retaking it because I am confident that I can do better and I believe it has a strong impact on what job offers I could receive post-MBA program.

1. Do post-MBA employers check the official score report? It might look odd if I retake a high GMAT after already being accepted into the school of my choice, but if I can just put the new and improved score on my resume then I think it will be beneficial.

2. Do post-MBA employers check the IR and Essay? I think my score can be higher if I skip those sections and go for the number that everyone talks about.

I have already seen how a high GMAT can help post-MBA as more potential employers are willing to chat with me now as a Pre-MBA due to my score. I am coming from a non-target with a low undergraduate GPA so I think a really high GMAT could be quite important in my job applications.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to GMAT Club! Have you been admitted already? Or you only have an undergrad degree and not getting into BSchool for a while? Are you suggesting you could not use your higher score for admission and it would only be used for Employment?

I have merged your post with a very extensive discussion spanning the last 10 years or so.
In my experience, consulting, financial, and other traditional MBA employers often ask for scores and it is a good thing to put on your resume anyway - it has helped me to score a few job interviews - i know that because a buddy of mine and I both applied for the same finance position and I got the call while he was more qualified (just anecdotally speaking).

At the same time, I have seen 700 as one cut off point and 99th percentile as another differentiating point. Therefore, if you already have 700+ but don't think you can score 760+, I would not bother per se. At the same time, it is worth something to get a 99th percentile and be the best of the best (I am not aware of a scenario where it would help you to get a score higher than 760).

As to verification, I never applied for the consulting jobs so my score was not a part of the evaluation but I am pretty sure most do verify esp now that they have a much easier option with the official link (the background check/reference verification process). I think if you have IR and AWA at 0, it will be a bit suspcious and will red-flag you, so I would put some effort into getting at least a 5 on AWA and IR so that you can have a passable score there.

P.S. I do have to say that many/most people feel/felt that they could have done better on the GMAT. It does not mean that they do but it is worth a shot.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
DallasLastMinuteGMAT wrote:

Thanks!

Hi DallasLastMinuteGMAT

1- In the consulting field and IB, they do care about GMAT score very much. I have folks in UNC KF who was admitted 3 years ago with 690 but they had to study and took the test during their first year to secure interview in consulting. On the other hand, I have seen any question about GMAT for operation or marketing positions.

2- Regarding IR, I heard recently or read in one article (but not verified with any student) that some consulting companies start to look to IR to be not less than 5 or 6.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: LBS (A$)
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Kudos
I have recruited for a couple of the leading strategy firms over the course of my career. I certainly cared about GMAT scores when I was screening CVs. As a rule of thumb:

750 or above is a positive
<700 is a concern (and likely to result in more of a numerical workout in the case interview if you get that far)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
ConsultingSchool wrote:
I have recruited for a couple of the leading strategy firms over the course of my career. I certainly cared about GMAT scores when I was screening CVs. As a rule of thumb:

750 or above is a positive
<700 is a concern (and likely to result in more of a numerical workout in the case interview if you get that far)

How about folks with 10+ years of work experience and low GMAT - do Employers still need high GMAT score mainly in Consulting?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3