GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Nov 2019, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 22:31
Hello everyone,

I have my GMAT exam in 2 weeks. I want to know the study strategy I should follow for the 2 weeks.

(My preparation so far)
I started my preparation 3 months back. For quant I didn't do much of a practice since I had a good base because of my engineering background. I have solved OG 2018,17,16 and verbal review (made a few mock tests from the questions) and gave my first GMatPrep.

GmatPrep 1 - 710 (Q48,V38)
I was kind of in shock since I always was able to score 50/51 in Quant. Also in verbal I had total of 14 questions wrong (10 SC, 2 CR, 2 RC). I completely shifted my focus on SC and Quant. Unable to find good material for practice I downloaded the GmatPrep question bank provided in the gmatclub. I found the questions extremely relevant and began solving diligently (both Quant and SC).

GMATPrep 2- 770 (Q51, V44), this score is highly inflated since I had solved around 25% of Prep question bank. Nonetheless, now I was quite confident in SC. Started watching thursdays with Ron SC videos. I bought the Exam packs and questions pack. Solved the medium level questions SC and CR from the question pack and gave my 3rd GmatPrep.

(Latest)GmatPrep3 - 750 (Q50, V41) . I had 9 questions wrong in verbal (4 SC, 4 CR, 1 RC) and 5 questions wrong in quant. I think that 5 questions wrong in quant would
lead to around 48 in the actual GMAT. The questions were not repeated this time (except 1 CR).

After analyzing this test I have made the following study plan for the following 2 weeks.

For SC
- Hard questions Question Pack.
- Meaning based questions gathered by carcass.
- Continue with the Prep question bank.

For CR
- Solve LSAT CR by broall
- I have made an error log of CR good questions, will solve them all once.

For Quant
- Solving GmatClub tests.

If someone can provide me insight on the following, I would be really grateful.

>From where can I find notes or materials on GMAT Quant tricks and traps. If some one has it, I request you to please share it with me. I think it would definitely
help me if I can familiarize myself with them.

> Is my strategy for SC practice sound. I personally doubt the "Meaning based questions" provided by Carcass, since I do not want to solve questions that might not
do any good. (In my experience GMAT questions are very much different from any other sources, therefore no point in solving them).

> I welcome any suggestions,tips for CR.

Thank you in advance :)
SVP
SVP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 01:21
Hi piyush1995, your mock scores are very encouraging. In hindsight, I would have suggested that you focus more on concept building in verbal, rather than looking at the question repository as a source of building concepts.

But given the 2 weeks that you have for the test, I would not suggest any drastic change in strategy at this time. The next few days need to be focused on more practice and acclimatization with GMAT questions.

While you already seem to have a great question bank, PM me your mail id, if you want some more.

Good luck with the exam Piyush!

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
SVP
SVP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 03:22
Hi Piyush, LSAT CR seems to frequently test on certain topics that are not formally tested on GMAT (for example, logical relationships).

While that might not really harm your preparation, given the time constraint, it might be better to limit yourself to GMAT official question compilation.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 03:03
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi piyush1995, your mock scores are very encouraging. In hindsight, I would have suggested that you focus more on concept building in verbal, rather than looking at the question repository as a source of building concepts.

But given the 2 weeks that you have for the test, I would not suggest any drastic change in strategy at this time. The next few days need to be focused on more practice and acclimatization with GMAT questions.

While you already seem to have a great question bank, PM me your mail id, if you want some more.

Good luck with the exam Piyush!

Thank you for your quick response EducationAisle ![/quote]. I was wondering if you had some thoughts regarding my CR plan?
Intern
Intern
B
Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 04:53
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Piyush, LSAT CR seems to frequently test on certain topics that are not formally tested on GMAT (for example, logical relationships).

While that might not really harm your preparation, given the time constraint, it might be better to limit yourself to GMAT official question compilation.

Thank You e EducationAisle ![/quote] , btw do you know of any sources related to a compilation of gmat quant tricks and pitfalls?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 16:49
piyush1995 wrote:

Thank You e EducationAisle , btw do you know of any sources related to a compilation of gmat quant tricks and pitfalls?

Hi piyush1995!

I'm not aware of a source that specifically has a compilation of GMAT tricks and pitfalls, but I'd highly recommend searching for terms like "tricks" and "traps" on the Magoosh blog here. There are several articles that address common traps and pitfalls in the quant section, as well as many articles discussing tricks and strategies :-) Another key part of your studying should be learning from your own practice and incorrect answers, and recognizing the traps that you personally tend to fall for. Here are a few example articles that may be helpful to you:

I hope that's helpful! :-)
-Carolyn
Re: Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 16:49

Gmat Strategy review: Help needed to devise a proper prep strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k