Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [4348]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [38]
Given Kudos: 17
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [6]
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31873 [21]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Diksha09 wrote:
Hi,

I've just started my prep for the GMAT and spent enough time on this forum. As suggested , I took the diagnostic test at GMAT Prep and scored 540 (Q 35, V 28). Really astonished with the verbal scores because I didn't expect to do so horrendously on the SC.

My target score is 720 + . I am pursuing a fellowship program with insane work hours but I am currently on a month's holiday so I intend to study 8-10 hours everyday and get as much review done as possible so that I can just practice and take CAT from June onwards. Aim to give the exam in August or September (Flexible)

I have purchased the OG'16 along with the quantitative and Verbal OG. I also have access to MGMAT guide set 5th 'edition ( ebooks) which I plan to refer, study and review concepts from now on.

What should be my strategy to get that score and utilise the free month I have to the full potential? Should I be looking at purchasing an online course?
I realize I have to work on both : Quant and Verbal.

BB and other experts please give feedback.

Hi Diksha,
the score in both Quant and Verbal requires a lot of improvement BUT good thing is that you have just started with your preps so there should be a good scope of improvement..
the best judge for taking an online course or an inperson classes or self study is you and would depend on your ability to grasp things...
there are many who have done self study and reached their score and there are very many who have gone through couple of courses and are still there from where they started..

You have following at your disposal..
1) self study... If you can pick finer points when you have been given theory or some videos and notes..
2) online course.. if you can learn from the videos and few techniques put across via video and othe rmaterial..
3) in person classes.. you have a chance to clear your doubts in class one to one but ofcourse the time in a class is limited and you can not be a person shy to ask doubts in front of others. And a lot depends on the type of instructors and courses where you are staying..
4) Private tutor.. a lot depends on instructor but you can ask doubts and a lot of attention gets paid on your preparation.

If you have to invest, invest wisely because more than money you are investing your time. take some time, do your homework and select what is best for you. do not get carried away by reviews or persuasion without giving it a proper thought..
The most important is to realize your weaknesses and what it will take to overcome.

Regards
Chetan
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31873 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Diksha09 wrote:
Hi,

I've just started my prep for the GMAT and spent enough time on this forum. As suggested , I took the diagnostic test at GMAT Prep and scored 540 (Q 35, V 28). Really astonished with the verbal scores because I didn't expect to do so horrendously on the SC.

My target score is 720 + . I am pursuing a fellowship program with insane work hours but I am currently on a month's holiday so I intend to study 8-10 hours everyday and get as much review done as possible so that I can just practice and take CAT from June onwards. Aim to give the exam in August or September (Flexible)

I have purchased the OG'16 along with the quantitative and Verbal OG. I also have access to MGMAT guide set 5th 'edition ( ebooks) which I plan to refer, study and review concepts from now on.

What should be my strategy to get that score and utilise the free month I have to the full potential? Should I be looking at purchasing an online course?
I realize I have to work on both : Quant and Verbal.

BB and other experts please give feedback.

Hi Diksha,
the score in both Quant and Verbal requires a lot of improvement BUT good thing is that you have just started with your preps so there should be a good scope of improvement..
the best judge for taking an online course or an inperson classes or self study is you and would depend on your ability to grasp things...
there are many who have done self study and reached there score and there are very many who have gone through couple of courses and are still there from where they started..

You have following at your disposal..
1) self study... If you can pick finer points when you have been given theory or some videos and notes..
2) online course.. if you can learn from the videos and few techniques put across via video and othe rmaterial..
3) in person classes.. you have a chance to clear your doubts in class one to one but ofcourse the time in a class is limited and you do not have to be a person shy to ask doubts in front of others. And a lot depends on the type of instructors and courses where you are staying..
4) Private tutor.. a lot depends on instructor but you can ask doubts and a lot of attention gets paid on your preparation.

If you have to invest, invest wisely because more than money you are investing your time. take some time, do your homework and select what is best for you. do not get carried away by reviews or persuasion without giving it a proper thought..
The most important is to realize your weaknesses and what it will take to overcome.

Regards
Chetan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [13]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Chetan! ( Open to other experts as well)

Thank you so much for your time and valuable input.
I'd like to probe a bit more . Tutor and Classrooms are out of the question since I don't have the time for it.

I plan to do the following :

Month 1 : Review and practice all the concepts from the MGMAT Guides ( Quant and Verbal) combined with Power score CR. Solving questions /sectional tests from OG '16 and GMATClub ( free) on weekly basis.

Month 2 : Practice OG'16 + Verbal & Quant '16. Will start taking CAT on weekly basis .

Month 3 : IR + AWA & Full length CAT + Error log and reviewing/practicing.

Question : Would this be enough? Should I consider purchasing the Kaplan Math workbook as well ?

I am also wondering whether I should be investing in an Egmat Verbal prep course as I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of MGMAT guides for verbal ? Would I need to purchase additional CAT/Exam Pack ?

Greatly appreciate your input and effort. Thank you so much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Hi Chetan! ( Open to other experts as well)

Thank you so much for your time and valuable input.
I'd like to probe a bit more . Tutor and Classrooms are out of the question since I don't have the time for it.

I plan to do the following :

Month 1 : Review and practice all the concepts from the MGMAT Guides ( Quant and Verbal) combined with Power score CR. Solving questions /sectional tests from OG '16 and GMATClub ( free) on weekly basis.

Month 2 : Practice OG'16 + Verbal & Quant '16. Will start taking CAT on weekly basis .

Month 3 : IR + AWA & Full length CAT + Error log and reviewing/practicing.

Question : Would this be enough? Should I consider purchasing the Kaplan Math workbook as well ?

I am also wondering whether I should be investing in an Egmat Verbal prep course as I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of MGMAT guides for verbal ? Would I need to purchase additional CAT/Exam Pack ?

Greatly appreciate your input and effort. Thank you so much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My GMAT exam is during the first week of August and after much studying I took a test to see where I stand and I scored a miserable 240. I am a full time employee and that's my only livelihood for now.

What would be the best method of working and studying at the same time? Also the best available approaches to boost my score from a measly 240 to a 700? Exam takes place 3 months from now.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My GMAT exam is during the first week of August and after much studying I took a test to see where I stand and I scored a miserable 240. I am a full time employee and that's my only livelihood for now.

What would be the best method of working and studying at the same time? Also the best available approaches to boost my score from a measly 240 to a 700? Exam takes place 3 months from now.

Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [12]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NevilleB wrote:

Thanks.

Would suggest that you restructure your daily schedule and study in the morning before work.
If you are getting 240, you are getting most questions wrong and I would suggest to rethink your prep strategy and probably revisit your high school material and make sure you can do basic math and have a decent command of English (which it seems you do). Would start with the MGMAT Math Foundations and MGMAT Verbal Foundations and read the MGMAT Roadmap book.

Good Luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NevilleB wrote:

Thanks.

Would suggest that you restructure your daily schedule and study in the morning before work.
If you are getting 240, you are getting most questions wrong and I would suggest to rethink your prep strategy and probably revisit your high school material and make sure you can do basic math and have a decent command of English (which it seems you do). Would start with the MGMAT Math Foundations and MGMAT Verbal Foundations and read the MGMAT Roadmap book.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thank you for this excellent study plan BB.
I very much agree with your suggestion to study in the morning. I started my GMAT preparation about 10 days ago and have found studying after work to be extremely taxing and least effective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Thank you for this excellent study plan BB.
I very much agree with your suggestion to study in the morning. I started my GMAT preparation about 10 days ago and have found studying after work to be extremely taxing and least effective.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [3]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Quant - Probability, Set theory weak points

Dear BB

Thanks for this excellent source for beginners.

I seek guidance on studying Probability and Set theory - a big mental block that is stopping me from learning these concepts to the level of GMAT.

Please suggest online resources/books where I can get the required practice as well as conceptual clarity on these topics.

I started with OG Quant a month back when my CAT (Gmac) score was 530. I took second CAT (Economist) yesterday and it was 590 (Q44, V28, IR 4 :(

I understand Economist wasn't really close to what a real GMAT is. Quant was way easier and Verbal was really tough. Still i am hopeful that I have improved a bit in these 30 days. I plan to take GMAT in August last week so that am thorough in Quant and Verbal both with highest accuracy.

Slowly getting a hang of preparation methodology and this forum is a God sent!!
Looking forward to more tips!

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Quant - Probability, Set theory weak points

Dear BB

Thanks for this excellent source for beginners.

I seek guidance on studying Probability and Set theory - a big mental block that is stopping me from learning these concepts to the level of GMAT.

Please suggest online resources/books where I can get the required practice as well as conceptual clarity on these topics.

I started with OG Quant a month back when my CAT (Gmac) score was 530. I took second CAT (Economist) yesterday and it was 590 (Q44, V28, IR 4 :(

I understand Economist wasn't really close to what a real GMAT is. Quant was way easier and Verbal was really tough. Still i am hopeful that I have improved a bit in these 30 days. I plan to take GMAT in August last week so that am thorough in Quant and Verbal both with highest accuracy.

Slowly getting a hang of preparation methodology and this forum is a God sent!!
Looking forward to more tips!

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 1323
GMAT 1: 490 Q41 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q45 V28
GPA: 2.75
Send PM