Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan: go from 650 to 700+ [#permalink]
Dear BB,

thanks a lot for this useful post,
what is your opinion about using LSAT materials for the GMAT cracking?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey BB,
I took my GMAT about 3 months ago, scored a 650 (Q42, V38), and got into my school of choice (high gpa 3.9+). But now I have the opportunity to retake the GMAT and receive about twice the scholarhip if I score 700+.
I have 2 months to take my GMAT and I'm not sure whether to study on my own following one of the guides on GMATClub or enroll in the knewton online class.
The first time I took the GMAT I read 1 book (Kaplan Advanced) and had only 2 weeks of study (GMAC test and M-GMAT tests). I feel as though there is still a lot of material I can study on my own. Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi bb,

I took my GMAT exam somewhere in October '09 and was very disappointed with my score (620). I attribute some of it to the stress/pressure that I had developed because of the thought of the test and some of it to the way I did my preparation. I wasn't really sure of my problem areas and I didn't know the appropriate material that I could use for the prep. I started with the Official Guide (12th ed) and just finished it in a month and then I did some questions from the 1000 series. I took the prep tests and scored around 650 in the first 2 attempts and 700/710 in the next two attempts. But I wasn't really convinced with my prep.
I wish to start my prep again and wish my preparation strategy could be lot more streamlined. I did read your post but I am unable to identify it with myself. First and foremost I am unable to gauge my problem areas but RC for sure is one of them. Next I don't really know what material to go through this time around and how to plan my preparation.

I am really looking forward to some help from you.

Thanks in Advance...Tingle :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
tingle15 wrote:
Hi bb,

I took my GMAT exam somewhere in October '09 and was very disappointed with my score (620). I attribute some of it to the stress/pressure that I had developed because of the thought of the test and some of it to the way I did my preparation. I wasn't really sure of my problem areas and I didn't know the appropriate material that I could use for the prep. I started with the Official Guide (12th ed) and just finished it in a month and then I did some questions from the 1000 series. I took the prep tests and scored around 650 in the first 2 attempts and 700/710 in the next two attempts. But I wasn't really convinced with my prep.
I wish to start my prep again and wish my preparation strategy could be lot more streamlined. I did read your post but I am unable to identify it with myself. First and foremost I am unable to gauge my problem areas but RC for sure is one of them. Next I don't really know what material to go through this time around and how to plan my preparation.

I am really looking forward to some help from you.

Welcome to GMAT Club!
It is not uncommon to not have a clear weakness/issue to address.
Based on what I am hearing you actually did not use any textbooks per se just did a bunch of questions and took the test - that's an issue. What if you were preparing for a medical exam - would you just practice on a bunch of dummies and then take the test without the knowledge of how everything relates, operates, and does? Probably not - same here - you need to refresh/learn arithmetic, word problems, grammar, logic, etc - you need to build a strong framework in math and grammar and then move on to the strategy stage where you learn how to approach questions in time conditions, polish your reading strategy, learn to double-check answers, take full length tests, etc.

So, if you want a 700+ score, my suggestion would be to get the MGMAT Guides and go through them in 2 months and take the test after that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Send PM
Hi bb,

As for my preparation the first time, I referred to the Manhattan guide for sentence correction. I did only first 2 chapters of Manhattan CR guide. However I did not refer any book for RC. As far as maths is concerned, I somehow found that the actual questions were a little tougher than the ones in the official guide. I faced a major problem with the Data Sufficiency questions.

For now, I have started going through the Kaplan Premier program and I keep browsing through the forums here for more reading material. Should I supplement the material with MGMAT Guides or will this do.

And what should I refer for Maths Section. I am comfortable with the basics.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi,
I did my GMATPrep today without any prep (well I read the instructions).
Scored 650 (Q44, V36). So I want to do the gmat in 20 days (I know it always says 3 to 4 months, but i just wanna try). The good news, I have nothing else to do in during the next 20 days. So all my attention each day is focused on Gmat.
How should I alter my study plan/what should I do differently from all of those preparing 3 to 4 months but part time? (oh, I wanna score in the range of 700+)
A side note: English is not my first language, nor am I living in an english speaking country (guess it explains the low verbal score)> does this fact lead to any further differentations in my preparation?

greetings
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Thank you BB for this plan. I needed it since I'm am at 660 with a month to go. Error log's are depressing but guess they're necessary.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have been studying for sometime now [since last October]

My materials:

EZ Solutions, Quant
CR PowerScore Bible
OG stuff

First diagnostic test 360
1st GMAT test 400
2nd GMAT test 440

p.s. I got a 110 on my TOEFL...I don't know why I can't solve right on the Verbal!

Problem:
I think I panic when I am in the exam...I just feel I won't get the questions right...also, my pacing on the Quant sucks!

My next, and final GMAT appointment, is on the 1st of July...

Any help?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UWO, LBS, INSEAD, Columbia, Wharton
Send PM
I have taken the GMAT twice and have scored 650 and 660 respectively. I scored in the 85th and 90th percentile in verbal but have scored poorly in the math section. I have scored decently well in practice math exams (620-660 - MGMAT) but seem to falter when taking the actual test. I am really looking to get over the 700 mark. I am willing to give the test one more try. Any one have any advice? Feel free to message me or reply to this post. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
 Q46  V35
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Founder, internet startup
WE 2: Investment banker (M&A)
WE 3: Credit Analyst
Send PM
This is my second attempt. Hopefully this method will help me score higher this time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
how to reach 650 first is there any other discussion for that
please guide
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Dear BB,

I need some advice. I am planning to make a reasonable investment by buying couple of GMAT books. I want to do this intelligently. I am looking for a score of 750.

Should I go for:

Set-1:
Kaplan Math Foundations
Kaplan Math Workbook
Kaplan Advanced
PR 1012

or

Set-2:
MGMAT 5 Maths Strategies Books
PR 1012

Likewise, if you think that I need to change the sets contents please let me know. It would be great if you can in-fact recommend one "SUPER SET" of quant books.

Regards
Farukh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hello BB,

I have a question for you please. I am planning to make a decent amount of investment to buy GMAT books. I am planning to buy either 1 of the following 2 sets:

Set-1
Kaplan Math Foundations
Kaplan Math Workbook
Kaplan Advanced
PR 1012

Set-2
MGMAT 5 Maths Strategies Books
Kaplan Advanced
PR 1012

Please advise that which set do you recommend. I would also really appreciate if you can send me your own set in case you have a different advice.

thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for this thread! I am just starting my GMAT prep and this gives me a template to create my own structure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for suggesting Knewton's 7 day program
as my scores range between 600 to 650.. i can definitely think about taking it..
:-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi all,

I am giving my GMAT in September. I am done with OG 11 and 12. I gave a couple of tests - GMAT prep one of them and I got a disappointing 650 - 47 + 31.....I committed 12 errors in Quants and 17 in verbal. In verbal I faulted in SC - got 9 of the SCs wrong. I just browsed through the Manhattan SC a week back.
I need ur help in assessing my scores - what should I do to improve my SC and also my Math score - I think 47 is way too less!

Regards,
Shyam
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
For SC you need to get a solid understanding of grammar and start reading books - see this discussion: GMAT Fiction

For Math, would suggest a few things: MGMAT Number Properties and MGMAT Word Translations if you have covered them. You can also try GMAT Club tests - they have very hard questions.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8