Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [0]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Hello all.

Great guide by the way. I am LITERALLY brand new to all of this, including the site. I am aiming to take the test in December or January and I hope to score at least in the 620-650 range. I come from a Communications background (Graduating in June 2011) and math is pretty much my weak point. I'm naturally strong in grammar and writing. Where should I start? Am I starting too late? How can I find free/cheaper test prep courses? HELP!

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finacee, General Management
Schools:ISB, HEC, Said
 Q48  V28
Send PM
What should I do to improve from Q43-to Q50?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I will put together a guide specifically for math. Right now, I would probably recommend looking into MGMAT number properties and MGMAT Word Translations - have you done that?

Also, have you tried the GMAT Club tests?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finacee, General Management
Schools:ISB, HEC, Said
 Q48  V28
Send PM
bb I am already done with all the MGMAT math books.

I have not done any GMAT club tests.

Also I would like to know, from a Dignostic score of V27 how much improvement in the verbal score can be expected with about 3 months of verbal preparation about 15 hours per week.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
bb wrote:
I will put together a guide specifically for math. Right now, I would probably recommend looking into MGMAT number properties and MGMAT Word Translations - have you done that?

Also, have you tried the GMAT Club tests?

I have completed the Num property book few days back. i must say its very good for beginners, but not for those who are already good at quant.

Our math book cover similar topics concisely.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need suggestions for a schedule of one week being constant and another week being not.

The thing is that because of my work I have seasons I have to travel a lot and when traveling believe I have no time to study, beginning my day at 8 am (in the office) and ending around 10pm it only leave you chance to take dinner and that's it. I was originally targeting to take the GMAT for November 2010, I started to study really hard from Jun to August but then had to stop because of traveling till now and when starting to study again I feel I've forgotten almost everything since I had no practice at all during a month and a half..I feel so rotten. I don't really feel comfortable to aim to Nov so I'm probably planning to postpone it. :(
What do you suggest for this studying race and then suddenly stop it?? How to avoid losing it?

Thanks a lot

Luis
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I need to improve my english. I'm am struggling with my verbal section. My grammar is Ok. How do I build on my english proficiency? Reading articles and books? Should I read grammar books? Like what?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is my best suggestion for you: gmat fiction

Also consider this one: study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
This is great! is there any planner which details both Quant n Verbal together?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I apologize if this question has already been answered, but...what are yall's recommendations for the day before the actual GMAT? Should I take a practice test? Or just study, review, and do a few practice problems? I'm taking the test on a Monday morning so I have that full weekend before free to finish preparing.

Thanks![quote][/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
Kilian wrote:
First of all - thanks to those responsible for putting together all of the great information on this site. I've only just begun to delve into the site and am extremely grateful to have found it before getting too far into the process of studying.

I just received my MGMAT books, including the Fundamentals of GMAT Math book, and OG12 yesterday, so I decided to take my first practice test with GMATPrep tonight after work. I took it cold - no review prior, just downloaded the software and started. Here's how it went:

Quant: 35 (39%)
Verbal: 41 (92%)
Overall score: 640

Clearly my quant needs more work than my verbal, but I plan on bumping up the verbal too. My questions for the experts around here (BB and anyone else) are how accurate is the GMATPrep practice test as an indicator of future scores and is it feasible to increase my quant score enough to get me to a 700+ score in the next 2ish months? I haven't scheduled my test yet, but will need to take it in the next few months. Probably by the end of Oct.

I work full time, but am able to study ~2 hours a night and will probably study (realistically) 8-10 hours total a weekend. What do you think?

Well, just got out of the actual GMAT and it seems my studying has paid off, at least on the Quant side.

Quant: 44 (68%)
Verbal: 41 (92%)
Score: 700 (90%)

So I got where I wanted to be, despite some hold ups at work and in life. Thanks for the help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Question,

Has anyone started studying without taking a practice test first? I have completely forgotten math, and I'm quite sure if I take one I would bomb the quant section (which happened when I took a practice test in college a few years ago.) Does it make sense to brush up on math first and then take a practice test?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bigred2008 wrote:
Question,

Has anyone started studying without taking a practice test first? I have completely forgotten math, and I'm quite sure if I take one I would bomb the quant section (which happened when I took a practice test in college a few years ago.) Does it make sense to brush up on math first and then take a practice test?

I am wondering this same question.

Further, would it be logically to take some of the Prep Courses (ie: Veritas, Kaplan, etc) to supplement for this deficiency?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I'm finally beginning my study process for the GMATs.. and now I'm wishing I started in August like I originally intended. Oops.. heh.

What order do you recommend studying the Math topics in? I've bought 2 of the Manhattan series plus the Kaplan premiere book + OG (along with Verbal Manhattan books).

Is it recommended that I start with the first Math chapter in Kaplan, follow through with Kaplan, and after finishing a section there, move over to its respective area in the Manhattan series? I have Manhattan Number Properties and Word Translations.

I'm not sure how to go about building a detailed study plan.. I want to make sure I don't waste my resources by looking at practice questions before I'm fully equipped to answer them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is the MGMAT(quant) books just for in-depth explanations of how to solve the types of problem you will face? Cause I was just going to get those(5 quant) book along with the OG review 12 edition. As of right now I don't plan on study as hardcore for the verbal as I will for the quant section but I still want a decent book verbal study book, so what book could I get if for verbal? keep in mind my first language is English. I want well in-depth books, no shortcut books or improve best possible guest stuff.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
NEURON wrote:
Is the MGMAT(quant) books just for in-depth explanations of how to solve the types of problem you will face? Cause I was just going to get those(5 quant) book along with the OG review 12 edition. As of right now I don't plan on study as hardcore for the verbal as I will for the quant section but I still want a decent book verbal study book, so what book could I get if for verbal? keep in mind my first language is English. I want well in-depth books, no shortcut books or improve best possible guest stuff.

MGMAT is good for this as well. The books and scores are not correlated but more people have scored higher with MGMAT books than others (that may be just numbers of buyers) but it still is a fact.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ BB

Hi! I am new to GMAT club. I seek advice regarding GMAT. If there is a word better than a novice, I am that as far as GMAT is concerned. I have given the exam once in Dec 2009 and all I got was a very dismal -below-par 370 :(. Well, I wrote just for the heck of it. W/o even knowing the format of the exam.

I intend to join a business School by 2012 and I ve registered for the GMAT in April 2011. Kindly guide me to get a 700 plus score. I am from India. I would like to know the study materials and the books to follow. I have a good 4 months in hand.

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  42