Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Thanks for the book rankings; I have all the MGmat books but a version older than the current one; could anyone tell me the difference between these 2; I know I will have to but at least 1 (SC) current book at get a key to their online tests.

Posted from my mobile device

Please see this post about the differences in the MGMAT editions: https://gmatclub.com/forum/manhattan-gma ... 91671.html

As to the word list, per GMAC, there is no correlation between studying words and GMAT results - they have done a study on this, so in that sense, the GMAT is different from the GRE.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a ton bb, as I am finishing OG, I think I should be in good shape to start on MGMAT books.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello everyone!
I have taken a deep look at the above post and really appreciate it's value.
I'm just a novice about GMAT stuffs. I want to take it in the future but I'm wondering where should I start since I saw the last warning . I don't really have an English proficiency now is the reason.
Can anyone help me out and give me some advice?
Thanks a lot.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jenyliang wrote:
Hello everyone!
I'm just a novice about GMAT stuffs. I want to take it in the future but I'm wondering where should I start since I saw the last warning . I don't really have an English proficiency now is the reason.
Thanks a lot.

You should work on your English proficiency first!
You don't need to be an English buff or know it perfectly but you need to nail down the basics and feel very comfortable with all SC's and CR's - RC's are a different story and nobody ever does.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you, friends, for your sharing your ideas.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks bb, as you said LSAT for RC, its really working, but the last part of CR (last 20 ques) of CR in OG 12 have left me wondering if i should even continue my GMAT prep. i took a lot of time, 1.5 hrs for 20 ques and still could get right less than 50%, any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I need a score of at least 600. 500 will also be okay, but 600 will be sufficient. I have four books:
Kaplan Premier 2011
Kaplan Math workbook
Kaplan Verbal workbook
Official guide for Gmat Review, 12th edition.

My question is, is it possible to succeed for a score of at least 600 with these books? I saw that all four are in the top 20 of January 2011. I already read both Math and Verbal books and I have to say it really went great. Some mistakes, but I'm learning from my mistakes.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kenji87 wrote:
Hi,

I need a score of at least 600. 500 will also be okay, but 600 will be sufficient. I have four books:
Kaplan Premier 2011
Kaplan Math workbook
Kaplan Verbal workbook
Official guide for Gmat Review, 12th edition.

My question is, is it possible to succeed for a score of at least 600 with these books? I saw that all four are in the top 20 of January 2011. I already read both Math and Verbal books and I have to say it really went great. Some mistakes, but I'm learning from my mistakes.

Yes, absolutely.
I am not a genius and I got 750 with just 3 of those (sans OG 12).
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
desiaggie1980 wrote:
thanks bb, as you said LSAT for RC, its really working, but the last part of CR (last 20 ques) of CR in OG 12 have left me wondering if i should even continue my GMAT prep. i took a lot of time, 1.5 hrs for 20 ques and still could get right less than 50%, any suggestions?

Why do you spend 4 minutes per question? You should move on to the next one after 2 mins or 3 max. You have 75 mins to go through 41 questions in Verbal. Once you go through 75 mins, why stop. Go ahead and take a whole day.... you will probably get more than 50%.

What you did was a waste of time.

Take a computer adaptive test and see your score. That's the only way to estimate/predict it carefully.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone,

I recently finished the Kaplan course (about 8 weeks long) and finished the course with not a whole lot of confidence. I was to write my exam next week; however, I postponed until the latest possible day - April 7th. I found a tutor and I plan on meeting him at least twice a week for about 1.5-2hrs each time. I was wondering what people thought about tutors who start teaching students 650-700 level math questions at the second session is advisable.... When I inquired about this, he said that its a good idea to start with the hard ones.

I am a nurse by profession, which speaks to my lack of mathematical skills.

I wonder what those who have used tutors thought about this....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone has any tips for data sufficiency? This is the hardest part for me. I already searched on the forum and found some interesting movies, and with the exercises explained at those movies I had no problem, but if I go back to my Kaplan book, it's sometimes though for me to pick the right answer. The big mistake that I make is picking option 3 (both statements together) instead of option 4 (both statements separately).
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kenji87 wrote:
Does anyone has any tips for data sufficiency? This is the hardest part for me. I already searched on the forum and found some interesting movies, and with the exercises explained at those movies I had no problem, but if I go back to my Kaplan book, it's sometimes though for me to pick the right answer. The big mistake that I make is picking option 3 (both statements together) instead of option 4 (both statements separately).

I don't know if I have feedback for this area specifically. It seems that if you know the stuff, you should be able to answer the question. It does have a twist with Yes/No questions but otherwise, more or less straightforward. There are a few DS Books out there but not sure if you need them vs just general theory: https://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html? ... ive=390957
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Jenyliang wrote:
Hello everyone!
Thanks a lot.

jenny,
An interesting way to get your English tuned is through your ears. In tech companies, esp for engineering roles; communication skill is overlooked or compensated with tech skill. Unfortunate but true.

Read the MGMAT SC book- just for the heck of it. Don't do any exercises- instead try to correct spoken sentences of all those around you. (In your head of course) this way you will tune your ear to catch anything that doesnt sound right: be it verb tense or modifiers etc. If you write emails at work or outside, make sure they are grammatically right with the right construction.
This is just my 2c.
Good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I realized similar stuff while solving DS from OG12; the option c which I estimate to be correct is mostly not; also there is something abt probability that psyches me, even though the problem is an easy kill, I assume its going to be tough and mess it up, my only resort for DS now is going thru MGMAT quant books, though it gets very tough for me to go thru the theory of math, prefer to keep solving problems instead!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey mba 2011, good pointer for SC, are u targetting for HAAS EW2011 or I am confusing you with some one else

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hello Everyone! Yes, I've decided to take the GMAT. I'm so glad to have found the gmat club!! I've been out of school since 2006, so out of the study habit. Thank you BB for posting the great study plan. I will definitely go that route. I'm a little worried. I don't remember ever taking Trig. I'm afraid that even a refresher is not going to cut it. Any suggestions there?

Also, what are good qualifications to look for in a tutor?

Thanks in advance.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
maximaluvr wrote:
Hello Everyone! Yes, I've decided to take the GMAT. I'm so glad to have found the gmat club!! I've been out of school since 2006, so out of the study habit. Thank you BB for posting the great study plan. I will definitely go that route. I'm a little worried. I don't remember ever taking Trig. I'm afraid that even a refresher is not going to cut it. Any suggestions there?

Also, what are good qualifications to look for in a tutor?

Thanks in advance.

About 50% of the questions on the GMAT are arithmetic. Algebra/Trigonometry is still important.
My suggestion would be to take a sample test before you jump to conclusions (you may or may not have an issue with it or may have a lot more issues).

As to picking a tutor, the best suggestion is to get a personal recommendation or to evaluate a tutor. You want him/her to push you - that's what you are paying them for.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  42